1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane-- "Astros Name will not Change"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They have a better chance of being re-named the Oilers than the Colts .45s.

Seriously, Casey?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The Texans considered it. They could obviously never do it because of the Indy Colts.

Yeah I'm serious. If it isn't the Astros it better be the Colt .45s.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It was not on the list of names submitted to Houston for names of the Texans. It was Wildcatters, Apollos, Texans and something else I'm forgetting. That they protected the name of the team to keep options open doesn't reflect deep consideration. That it was never publicized that they considered it is telling.

Honestly, I doubt MLB would allow it. I can't even pee without asking Selig for permission....no way they allow a team to take on the name of a gun.

4. MadMax

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/

Tell me I should take Jim Crane's mention of evaluating the Astros nickname with a grain of salt. Tell me it was one bad note in an otherwise very positive press conference on the upcoming fan-friendly changes.

Tell me that I shouldn't be upset at the very notion of possibly changing the name.

I'm really not. But, I am.

See, the whole reason I suggested a uniform change last summer when Crane was hired was that I wanted them to get back to traditional Astros colors and away from the more corporate, marketing-friendly but surprisingly sanitized color scheme they currently feature.

Changing the name flies in the face of all that and would prove fairly unprecedented. I mean, the franchise has already done it once, but that was because of a pending lawsuit. The only other case I can think of where a professional team drastically changed its nickname is the Washington Bullets switching to the Washington Wizards.

Every other change has accompanied a move to another city. I don't think Crane, a Houston businessman, is thinking of moving the Astros to Las Vegas or Portland, so let's rule that out. What else could be the impetus?

If the Astros name has such a negative connotation that it rivals the Washington Generals or St. Louis Browns for futility. That just doesn't seem to be the case. Houston's Astros are uniquely situated as a name that reflects the region they come from.

I guess the question is: Do you still think of Houston as Space City?

That'd be the only reason to change from the Astros. Otherwise, the move just looks like an attempt to sell new merchandise to a fan base that's not exactly thrilled with the state of the franchise to begin with. And, couldn't they accomplish the same thing with just changing the uniform in the first place?

I like that Crane is evaluating everything and shaking up a system that had grown stale under Drayton McLane. However, I'm sure they will find in the end that the damage a nickname switch will do is not nearly enough to justify the few new fans they might scare up or make excited by a new nickname.

I hope. I don't have it in me to root for the Bayou Gators or whatever nonsense they may come up with...

5. SuraGotMadHops

The fanbase is already fragile right now with the move to the AL and the apparent disregard for the team's history and identity, why in the world would Crane even suggest the possibility of a name change right now.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

this guy seems like a sick SOB.

remember all the crap about how he said there was no way he'd EVER approve a move to the AL, and he's too big of a traditionalist to ever let that happen? i knew with 100% certainty upon the first mention of us being moved, that it would happen. the guy is a scumbag, a liar, and a seemingly terrible person.

i thought "where there's smoke, there's fire" applied heavily to the AL move situation, and i'm getting the same sinking feeling here. there's no reason to even mention that, in less you are preparing the fans for a softer fall, IMHO. i wouldn't say there's a 100% chance of a name change, but way way better of a chance than those of you that are completely dismissing it are giving it.

the f'd up part is, as much as we hate it, we are still going to watch, and he damn well knows it. just like how sickened we are by the AL move, yet that won't effect our fandom.

this guy is bad news. (but yay $5 beers! :grin:)

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

CampbellChron Steve Campbell
    [rQUOTEr]One interesting tidbit: Crane says he will consider a name change. He originally said Astros name was here to stay.[/rQUOTEr]

"We haven't said we're going to do that, so don't jump to any conclusions but sometimes change is good."

Ha wow.

#48 J.R., Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Don't push your luck, Jim Crane.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I am with Donny they are just making headlines. Crane isn't doing anything great. Drop the price of beer a few bucks and correct an insane rule about water that I think all the other ballparks never had. But the name change gives the news a reason to talk about his lower prices and other tokens.

Then when he doesn't change the name he gets to be branded as a guy saving tradition after he moves the team to the AL, changes logo and uniforms. LOL.

But if he does change the name it better be the Colt .45s

11. Nook

Nook Member

Chill Max, he isn't going to change the name, his answer was in relation to saying he will listen to the fans. The fans don't want to change the name. Whoever bought the Astros would have to agree to move to the AL.

Also, so far working for Crane has been better than tight wad McLane. He already has given raises and has been nicer than McLane ever was according to my sister.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't think there is anyway he changes the name.

On the bright side, those price changes and the allowance of snacks/water is a great step. It's long overdue.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Totally, off topic but maybe think about this scene from Newradio:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JpwjnMFlJI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JpwjnMFlJI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    We miss you Phil Hartman.

On the name change though, all he said is that itwill be considered and that change is not necessarily a bad thing. Both of these are true, and when you take on any new business, that is how you should approach things.

However, he putting that out there to the media is very silly. i know that they say all publicity is good publicity, but when you already probably going to lose some of your fan-base because your team stinks and because you are losing a good deal of your history by switching league, you would expect a smarter businessman to bite their tong.

14. MadMax

sorry, i'm not chilling on this. really bad first impression to this lifelong fan.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Jim crane success. It's January 24 and we're talking about the astros.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

This. I saw the Astros scroll across the ESPN ticker last night for the first time in forever.

It was a marketing move, and it worked perfectly. In the coming days he will come out and say that "due to a tremendous outpouring from fans, it's become obvious that the name needs to remain." He looks like an owner that listens to fans, the name stays, and the Astros have had free publicity for a week. Mission accomplished.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What are the chances he meant it facetiously?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why would they want to change the name? WTF for?

This is not an expansion team, it is the Houston Astros, the team I grew up cheering for.....???

Changing the name - for what?

DD

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

no chance in hell. how many upcoming days do you want to give it before you no longer believe that?

20. MadMax

I don't know. but if you see him, tell him to stop effing with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.