1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub VS Eli

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RedDynasty, Jan 18, 2012.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

sorry if my world is a lil more exciting and too bravado for you L7's..... But in man coverage , throw it up.... Pay attention to some of Eli's long throws, and you'll see what I mean ....

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think far too many people undervalue how efficient Schaub is. He throws downfield accurately and doesn't turn the ball over. A good team will win a lot of games with a QB that can do that consistently.

I also think he’s a victim of hyper-focus. We’ve watched every one of Schaub’s snaps – we’ve seen all of his bad throws, bad decisions, bad turnovers… and then we flip on ESPN and watch a 2-minute highlight reel of Eli Manning and think, “Why can’t Schaub be more like that?!”

The truth is no QB is above mistakes and we shouldn’t set such a high standard for ours. He’s not perfect by any stretch. He’ll make mistakes. But taken collectively, he has made far fewer throughout the course of his career than *a lot* of QBs in football.

1 person likes this.
  3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I said BEFORE the season Eli > Schaub subjective posters jeered me.

Those same posters are now saying Eli and Schaub are equal and Eli is just on a "season" long hot streak.

Mobility, pocket presence, arm strength (the reason nicks/manham/v.cruz would be underutilized in Houston) all go to Eli.

Schaub would not do well in the Giant's offense because he doesn't pose a threat to make all throws on any given play (horizontal, vertical, and deep seams).

I will give Schaub credit when it comes to not turning the body over, but I think it comes from knowing his limitations which are a bit glaring.

4. ubigred

Hell people ....

Watch the game this . Watch and carefully observe Eli . Watch how he will QB the game and control the game.

Schaub has never and will never do that.

5. ubigred

[​IMG]

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Eli is very streaky. When he's on he's an elite QB, but when he's off he's a turnover machine. Matt Schaub and Eli Manning's lifetime QB rating reflect this.

Schaub 92.2

E. Manning 82.1

And Schaub controlled plenty of games this year, and his QB rating was the same as Eli's.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Eli > Schaub, sorry that's just how it is when you look at their successes.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Manning only won because of the two fumbles by williams in the punt returns.

10. ubigred

Like I've always said. Schaub is good not great.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And he only won a Superbowl because of a lucky catch and Plexico Buress....:rolleyes:

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually it was an amazing catch by David Tyree

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

On paper, yes but this is more about ability. They are both very close in that category.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He said lucky catch AND Plax. The AND means two separate things.

Unless it is the ability to play in football games. Eli hasn't missed a start.

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Who escaped the sack and threw it to tyree? :grin:

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Luck. Just like beating the Packers on the road.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

While I enjoy the attempts at statistical analysis, the fact that we are football ignorant because we can't take into context what's supposed to happen in the plays makes the stat comparisons difficult. There's just too much going on: tipped balls, o-line protection, receiver routes, types of passes, reading D...

In my layman's opinion, I think Schuab is very good. I'd still take Eli, and not because of the stats and wins. Eli just has a stronger arm and better mobility. If they're decision-making abilities are in the same realm, then you have to give the edge to the guy with more tools. Just because Eli doesn't play a Schaub style game doesn't mean he can't. That has a lot to do with coaching, scheming, and personnel. Schuab simply can't do the things that Eli can...I don't fault Schuab for not having the talent...it's just the way it is.

1 person likes this.
  18. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

very well put. I do think Schaub is a little better of a decision maker, however, does that make up for the lack of his physical tools?

is that what AND means? wow. Thanks.
    Like you never misread something. .. Mr. Perfect.

yes...everyone knows that and it's been talked about.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Eli is cooler in the pocket and gets better in big situations, which counts for a lot. Schaub is probably a better decision maker overall, but pocket awareness can be an issue and he is more easily rattled. At this point it's crazy to take Schaub over Eli -- 2 super bowl appearances trumps all.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My take:

Eli is clearly better delivering the deep ball accurately and with velocity

Schaub is a better decision maker

Eli has a better array of downfield weapons in a spread offense

Eli can be a lot worse on a given Sunday, but has shown he can go into a late season hot streak and rise to the occasion more than we've seen from Schaub.

I'm content with Schaub and would have a hard time rooting for Elisha.