1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. cod

cod Member

Have you heard anything about Batum? His contract extension deadline 22nd is only a few days away. I hope the Rockets can somehow swoop in on this one.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Orlando doesn't trade Dwight Howard at the deadline, NJ won't trade Deron Williams either, in my estimation. They'll gamble on him coming in free agency. But, they will trade him if Dwight gets traded to a team with a reasonable chance of re-signing him. Because if they don't trade him, Deron will leave in free agency without the hope Dwight would bring.

So, I think the only realistic scenario in which Nets are willing to deal is one in which the chance of using Deron as Dwight bait is remote. And even if Dwight wanted to come after all, wouldn't we have killed our cap space with Deron? We'd have to S&T and give up more assets. So, you have to make the trade for Deron alone and forget about how it could affect free agents' decisions.

In that scenario (where NJ has to get what it can for Deron before he walks away), just getting Lowry would be a pretty decent deal for them, because he's low cost and playing great. It'd buy them a couple of years to find a star to put next to him and give them the cap flexibility to do it. You can fill in the salaries with our '09 busts. The more I think of what Lowry could do for NJ the more I want to keep him here.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Williams is the better shot blocker.

ha

I always thought there was more room to improve at a position other than PG. Lowry has been playing like a star since he was named starter.

However, if Williams really does help get another star, then let's pull the trigger.

Williams is having a bad year this year, yet his stats are comparable to Lowry, who is having a great year.

As others have mentioned, Williams is the established name/superstar. Lowry is trying to get there, and he is definitely at least headed there. At this point, I'm willing to gamble. And having Deron Williams on your team is not such a bad gamble.

4. dingus

dingus Member

We would not be trading Lowry for Williams straight up. It would only require minor retooling (maaaybe trading Martin, you'd have to ask Bima to do his magic on that one) to have max cap room available.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

More like "half-assumptions", that is, half-assed assumptions.

Speculations, really.

#4. If anyone assumes this is automatic, then they're kidding themselves.

#1 and #3. These are tough ones. One thing DM DOES know is that as much as it would pain him to trade Lowry, and as good as Lowry gets, he probably isn't going to be perceived as a franchise player. Probably. The NBA marketing machine has already latched onto its CP3's (was it a coincidence he wound up on Blake Griffin's team? riiiiiiiiiight), its Derrick Rose's.

To get a pair of superstars, you must already have one. Our team will continue along at .500 and no national TV appearances and low home attendance and no playoffs (let alone championships) until these things change for us.

But losing Lowry would hurt, and badly, if Deron Williams' recent play is no aberration. Or if he turns out very injury prone while Kyle doesn't.

6. Miracles Boys33

I smell a big 3 way blockbuster trade between houston,orlando and new jersey near the trade dead line

7. dingus

dingus Member

I believe that's called phantosmia... you might want to have that checked out by your physician

8. anchel

anchel Member

C'mon now, to move from a very good-almost all-star player to a superstar player is not a lateral move or a small improvement.

No matter his %s are playing with 0 motivation for the absolutely worst roster in the NBA, he's 27, he's supertalented, and was considered not too long ago by many people as the best PG in the world (there with Paul). As much as I love Kyle, to move from somebody like him to a Deron Williams has be considered a BIG improvement. And even with him as the only star of your roster, you could build a contender group around him just like Chicago has done around Rose. Of course it would be more difficult than with the help of a Dwight, but possible.

You talked about the chance of the Nets moving Deron if he states passed the deadline that he doesn't want to continue playing there. I'd bet that firstly he would try to get Howard in the summer, it is what he's been trying and is still trying to do at this moment. As much as I'd love to have him here, I'm also aware that he's showing some commitment with the project that is there with the new owner, new city, new arena... I also read that New York is the city where his woman wanted to live all her life (if this is true we have nothing to do), he's also being involved on the player management decisions (he called himself as the assistant to the assistant GM), also showing commitment in every public statement... I'm just trying to show that he has planned to continue there and that he would try to get Howard in any possible way before quitting.

I hope to be wrong but I don't see chances for the Rockets unless we get Howard previously or somebody else does it. Only if he sees absolutely no future in Brooklyn he would consider to move. My opinion.

What I also believe is that eventually something unlikely it will happen in favor of the Rockets. And to see Howard traded to LA, for example, might not be that unlikely. Or convince both of them at the free agency.

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Some of you guys ever watched Deron's game lately?

He has been forced to play out of position, yes its ridiculous, under Avery hes been playing off the ball a lot(more like a spot up shooter) while Farmer maning the point. Thats one of the main reasons why his impact of the game hasnt been as big as it used to be.

Sure this is not his best year, but you just cant make the comparison between Lowry and Deron after 15 something games. To me they are still not on the same level when it comes to talent and experience.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't think those stats are comparable. Lowry is mopping the floor with Williams so far. Only points and assists are close. Lowry's FG% is significantly better, as is his 3P%, FT%, rebounds, steals, and turnovers. His assist:turnover ratio will thereby be a good deal better too. Oh, and Lowry's team has a better record despite playing harder competition. That points and assists are comparable suggests only that Williams' usage is higher than Lowry's -- and that he isn't equal to the task either.

So maybe it is a bad year for Deron, but his season so far isn't holding a candle to what Lowry is doing. And, I bet if you compare stats from the end of the last season, the story is similar.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Kyle Lowry is currently out playing Williams. Don't waste time and talent with this one.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If Howard and Dwill want to play together than your best shot at this thing is clearing cap space to make it happen in 2012 FA. Like the Miami Heat.

Of course that would mean trading away players you normally wouldn't and essentially tanking this year.

I don't see how the Rockets could get both. Trading for Dwill will mean you can't trade for Howard. Not enough pieces to do so...and even if you did why would the Nets give you Dwill if they themselves still had a shot at Howard?

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Championship team? I don't recall the Utah j*zz making it to he finals with him? Conference finals only to get destroyed by the spurs... Once.....

14. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

So make sure you hold onto the guy who will make sure we get a 7th or 8th seed and a crappy draft pick instead.

15. dingus

dingus Member

As many people have stated, the problem with this is... the F'ing Mavericks.

Since we do not have enough assets to pull a Sign-and-Trade with both Williams and Howard, one of them will have to renege their Bird Rights. If the Mavericks sign either Howard or Williams in the offseason, they can offer the other team a Sign-and-Trade with their remaining "assets" Beaubois, Marion, etc to acquire the second player (be it Dwight or Deron). The Magic (or Nets) will have to little action for recourse since the player will hold all the leverage saying you can either do a S-n-T or I will just leave outright (Chris Bosh situation all over again).

I don't think I need to list the reasons why Dallas, of all the Godforesaken places, is a better destination than Houston:

1. Better Third Player (Nowitzki)
    2. More Popular Owner (Dwight and the media love Cuban)
    3. Better media exposure. I don't know what Hell we live in where Dallas is a more desirable city than Houston, but apparently all of America is in on the joke
    4. Williams' hometown is Dallas

In conclusion, if we don't trade for Williams or Howard at the deadline the chances of this happening are close to nil. The only sliver of hope we have is to trade at the deadline and pray.

16. dingus

dingus Member

Could someone post the latest ESPN Insider Trade Rumor article on Williams? I think it is relevant to this topic even if it doesn't involve the Rockets. Thanks.

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

With New Jersey floundering along this season and no guarantee it'll land Dwight Howard via trade -- especially with Brook Lopez out with injury -- there's a growing sentiment that Deron Williams may not re-up with the Nets once he heads for free agency this summer.

We've hit the Mavericks as a possible destination for Williams, a team that appears to be in the lead for his services should he book.

But as Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles wrote, the Lakers could be a player via trade.

In his Wednesday chat, ESPN's Chad Ford also tossed out a possible deal of Carmelo Anthony for Williams.

18. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Sacramento Kings

19. RX2012

RX2012 Member

d will is a punk.

do not want this loser on the rockets, bye

20. ABforPresident

They make you pay money to read that garbage "article"? ESPN sucks