1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think this trade deadline, the Rockets will definitely choose a direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Miracles Boys33

We need to rebuild

2. Raven

Raven Member

I wonder why. The dude is projected as a possible, even probable, number one pick. Plus, one more year in college means one less year as a professional. Then there is always the possibility that he has an injury, which could cause him to plummet in the draft.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

we can't rebuild without trading key pieces away like Martin and Bud.

4. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

What is this Memphis pick you speak of? Do we have the potential to get a 3rd first round draft pick if memphis makes the playoffs?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps Drummond is simply having a hell of a good time in school. I can understand wanting another year of this part of his life. The NBA is a grind. Yes, he's taking an awful risk, but if he improves, it automatically makes the draft the year after a lot more interesting, and certainly won't hurt his pocketbook.

6. Miracles Boys33

i hope we can make a deal with philly and get iggy for martin but don't know who to get when we trade bud

7. Raven

Raven Member

He'll change his mind. I'd be stunned if he didn't enter the draft.

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

We received a highly protected pick from the Grizzlies in the Battier trade (See here for a great explanation by RocketsPimp). We then moved this pick in the trade for D-Mo in this years draft. The only picks we have are:

-Our own 1st rounder, if we miss the playoffs, otherwise to NJ.
    -Knicks 1st rounder, as long as it's not top 5.
    -Our own 2nd rounder, as long as it's in the top 40, 41+ goes to Detroit.
    -Minnesota 2nd rounder, as long as it's top 55, otherwise it s extinguished.

We DO NOT have a pick from the Grizzlies, we lost it in the draft day trade for D-Mo.

Pugs

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I agree with OP. That is all.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He might change his mind. You can bet that agents are freaking out over the news and doing all they can to persuade Drummond to enter the draft (and hire them!). There are certainly instances where putting it off proved to be a mistake, and agents will be pointing that out. I assume he doesn't have an agent, since he's still in school. Anyone know?

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Well written. I'm not optimistic this will happen, but i hope it does. You must spread around some reputation before giving it to Meh again.

12. nadman89

nadman89 Member

is kevin love unobtainable eventually?
    mchale maybe could get him , hes not commiting to minnesota although m sure he wants to be in LA i dont think they can get him :S

13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Grow up you mindless nut! He's barely been given a training camp or preseason with the lockout.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You don't just "tank for half a season". Any move made will have repercussions for the next season and seasons after that. Without a change in philosophy by the owner, nothing changes. The trade deadline does nothing to change that.

15. Fostate

Fostate Member

fixed.

16. body slam

body slam Member

Who are the Rocket's expiring contracts? I thought they had picked up several in past trades to get the team ready for this trade dead line and this coming off season.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Les can do all he wants.... we are not winning ...he can put all the veterans in.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

The Rockets starters are simply guys who would come off the bench for most good teams. Yes I think scola and martin are bench players - they would make a nice 6th man somewhere. KL with they way he's been playing could be a starting point guard for a good team - but the rest of our guys are role players and you can't be expected to win with this type of roster.

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Eh, he's basically always been just like Uncle Drayton. Hakeem was his Bagwell/Biggio and Yao was as much about the business side of things as it was the basketball side of things. Both Drayton and Les have spent ridiculous money on people at one time or another, which blew up in their faces, or have disallowed their operations folks (Hunsicker, Timmy P, Wade, CD, Morey) to rebuild and develop the team; i.e. do their jobs.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't be surprised

if we trade Lowry.