1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck's Heart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Dec 21, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is not that good lol.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Neither are Flynn or Hill. One's a third string PG who's so bad some people actually think we should keep Jeremy Lin over him, and one's a PF masquerading as a C, except now we have a real C and we already have our PF of the future in Patterson.

3. anchel

anchel Member

I thought that the Kings renounced to Dalembert cap hold and later tried to sign him. If that's true (I'm not sure) we still could go for Chuck IF we're getting Dalembert via sign and trade.

Anyway, I don't see Morey raising his former offer so I see unlikely his comeback.

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
    "I have to see what teams are interested still. It’s back to the drawing board, block one, lets go on this merry-go-round," Hayes told Y!

5. tingYAO

tingYAO Member

OH! Not my Chucky! Give us back our luck duck chucky ****y!

Oh Morey you bad tonight!

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I think we could offer him our room exception of $2.5 million under the new CBA. Maybe if the market has completely dried up, he would take it on a one year deal.

7. coweye

coweye Member

Guys it doesn't matter if he will ever play again. He needs to get healthy. I'd rather like to see him alive than dead. The strange thing is that a few former Rockets had issues with heart including Hakeem back in the 90s

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Heyp, you're getting a little excited. In the hypothetical scenario in which team doctors use a fabricated medical excuse to void a contract, it would indeed suck. But, that would be a gross violation of medical ethics and a violation of business ethics too. I'm going to give Sacto the benefit of the doubt here and assume they made this decision in good faith. I think Chuck should have the Union look into reinstating his contract. And, of course, if the Kings did this on purpose, they should be punished. But, it is highly unlikely that they did.

As for burning the Bird Rights, if the Rockets didn't sign Dalembert, it might be relevant. But, they did (and they did it after Hayes' contract was voided -- they obviously put the priority on the seven footer). You can't really put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point.

I don't think we have any exceptions because we went under the cap to sign Dalembert. We would have had to stay over the cap to use any exception.

9. Broford

Broford Member

The room exception applies specifically for teams that are just barely under the cap.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Hope the Rockets get Hayes back, great team player, was in all of the top efficiency combinations for the team. As bad (or "heartless," no pun intended) as it sounds, a heart problem is all or nothing, so if he can play, the condition might be less debilitating basketball-wise than bone-on-bone knees with no cartilage or other common physical basketball injuries that slow you down no matter what.

11. mag

mag Contributing Member

Why is people so obsessed with Hayes? Everybody was claiming that every team will go after him in free agency and he barely got attention from 2 teams. I think the GMs know better than people on this board.
    Hayes is a nice role player who has already overachieved and hit his full potential and it is not enough to be more than a situational player. We need to MOVE ON an try developing our own young players and the only way to do that is with playing time.

By away, I am also against having Dalembert on the team. He is not going to help us be an elite team!! If we are not a contender, I rather see young players develop and maybe becoming a superstar!!

12. coweye

coweye Member

It's easy. He plays with heart. He might not have the skills or size of Howard or others but he would drive them crazy on D. Ask KG. He hates Chuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiW1S7rD3Y0

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Precisely. The initial diagnosis made no sense without any constellation of symptoms.

I wonder if the NBAPA could be brought into this. I mean the Kings voided the contract based on their own physical, right? Now that a third party has said there was no issue, could that not be legally defined as fraudulent breach of contract?

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No roster spot?! No money left? He is still looking to get paid.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think I completely understand it. Here's what Larry Coon says about it:

[rquoter]Exceptions aren’t just for teams under the cap, although that’s true for the most part. They also go to teams just a little bit under the cap. Let’s say a team has a payroll of $57 million, with a salary cap of $58 million. If they lose their exceptions just for being under the cap, then by virtue of being $1 million under, the team would lose its ability to use the $5 million mid-level exception.

So what they do is add the values of a team’s exceptions (including any trade exceptions and cap holds) to their payroll, and if the sum is over the cap, then they keep their exceptions. In the above example, the team has a $57 million payroll and a $5 million mid-level, adding up to $62 million, so they’re okay — they keep their mid-level. But let’s say they make a trade where they drop $6 million in salary. Now their payroll is $51 million, so the sum of their payroll and exceptions is $56 million — which is below the cap. Their exceptions vanish, and they just have cap room left.

The new, $2.5 million exception is for teams in this situation. If a team is below the cap, but just a little bit, then this gives them a little extra spending room. If they ever drop below the cap so the sum of their payroll, cap holds and exceptions (including this $2.5 million exception) are less than the cap, then they lose this exception.

This exception was designed for teams like Miami last year, which gutted their roster to create cap room to sign free agents. Once they sign those free agents, this exception gives them the ability to bring in another player at a salary above the minimum.[/rquoter]

http://www.hoopsworld.com/salaey-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-120711

It seems to me that we were over the cap because we were counting the cap-hold on Hayes, the TPE, the MLE, and this $2.5m exception. But, we needed $7m to sign Dalembert, so we'd renounce all those things to get raw cap space and sign the contract to put us back up at or near the cap. Now, we're back at the spot Coon describes. But, we had moved far below the cap and came in one offseason. I wouldn't think we'd be able to claim that exception again because we had at one point more than $2.5m in cap room. At least, that's how I imagine it'd work from what I know about the last CBA.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry to tell you, I know you love Chuck but Chuck seems to Sacramento.
    You can't change that.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

This makes me want to cry... and I'm not even Chuck.. can't imagine how he feels... though relieved about his health is probably one emotion he has at the moment.

Hopefully he will get signed on back in Sac or go play with Adelman with the Twolves.

Definitely sounds fishy though as to what happened in Sactown.

18. cod

cod Member

Petrie's has been running a NBA front office for nearly 20 years and had good reason to void a $20 million deal.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No offense but has the front office always looked like this.
    No class.

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We need to amnesty Thabeet and get Chuck. I dont care how but we need to get Chuck.