1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman to coach Timberwolves

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Sep 12, 2011.

1. gah

gah Member

I'm going to be paying a lot of attention to Minny now, too bad for them that there wasn't a can't miss franchise player to nab with that second pick, but even as huge ? Marks, Rubio and Randolph (and Minny as a whole) are quite intriguing.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]A little something while we wait today to see whether the owners and players really can finally pull off a new labor deal...

I'm hearing Adelman's son R.J. is not going to be an assistant coach, but rather a player personnel guy who will bring a lot of the same statistical analysis -- the same kind of stuff featured in the new film Moneyball (but without Brad Pitt) -- to the process that the Rockets use under their GM, Daryl Morey.

So rejoice, you basketball geeks who clamored for the Wolves to hire Rockets VP of basketball ops Sam Hinkie from Morey's staff instead of David Kahn two-plus years ago!

The Rockets in recent years have been able to pluck Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry and Chase Budinger from the depths of the draft and trade for Kevin Martin and Luis Scola using both traditional and analytical scouting.

They also, coincidentally, acquired the draft rights to European prospect Donatas Montiejunas from the Wolves with the 20th pick in last summer's draft.

That's when the Wolves started wheeling and dealing down with move after move to raise cash, at least $4 million -- funny the same amount they owed Kurt Rambis if they were going to fire him (which they did, of course) -- even if David Kahn swore it didn't have anything to do with the money. Rather, he said, it was because the talent-loaded Wolves didn't have room to add anymore young players to the roster.

If that was the case, then why not draft and keep Montiejunas and select European prospect Nikola Mirotic with the intent of keeping that player in Europe for a couple years and then have the option of signing him or trading him?

Anyway, for those of you were skeptical that Rick Adelman would ever take this job and wondered on the blog what role he'd have in player personnel decisions if he really did...well, here's your answer.[/rquoter]

3. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm... Adelman has brought his son in with him.... and now is grooming him for the front office... hmm ...... AND is going to rely on statistics ....... hmm

Yeah... so, we have Adelman getting a money grab, bringing in his relatives and now using metrics which is what he has complained about Morey using in the past....

I think this whole Adelman thing is pretty transparent. Actions speak louder than words. Having said that, he is a good coach and I hope him well.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When did he complain about using metrics? You might be reading between the lines that are between the lines.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Good to see the Adelman hating trolls keepin’ at it months into his departure.

If anyone could supply the quote where Adelman complains about Morey’s statistical approach I’d be interested in seeing it. Thanks! :)

6. redhotrox

Beat me to it. I don't have any recollection of this.

7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

the use of statistics was a source of separation between Morey and Adelman. Adelman spoke of coaching based on feel, not what the stats said.

8. redhotrox

There’s a difference between all the conjecture about Adelman’s parting, (Adelman hates stats, Adelman doesn’t want to coach a rebuilding team, Adelman wants to retire and be with his family) and Adelman specifically “complaining about Morey using metrics” like Nook said. Do you have a link to an actual quote?

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yes, this was also reported by Feigen and a few others.

Personally as someone who deals with statistics in their line of work, it seems Adelman was just a bit too old fashioned to figure out how to use them. I don't think anyone expects him to coach based on what the stats said, but merely use them as a frame of reference to enhance his decision making. Coaching based on "feel" is probably a poor choice of words. Where "feel" comes from is years of experience. And what is "experience" really, but data stored in the brain, but in a non-scientific manner. All statistics does is organize that data, avoids the subconscious nitpicking, and presents it to you to paint a clearer picture. How you decide to use it is up to the individual. Heck, it can even be used based on his "feel".

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Stevie is an insider on this site who has contacts within the organization. The source is him.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So which? Feigen and a few others or Stevierebel?

BTW, even if what Stevie said was true, relying on "feel" on coaching is not the same as "complaining about statistical analysis."

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

All of the above.

How? He ignored what the data said and relied on his "feel". Like Stevie said, that was the source of ONE of the divides between Adelman and the front office, not to say that was the sole reason for him not returning.

Obviously relying on his feel of the game and years of experience has worked very well for him. I am not denying that. That is why he is sticking to it, because it works. However, that is not to say he can't do even better if he incorporated some more advanced techniques in analyzing the game, along with his experience. Especially when the franchise is heavily invested in that area and spends tons on resources on it anyways. Kind of a waste if the coaching staff is not on board and at least willing to give it a look.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

There is no first or second. Feigen and and others in the Houston media have said it before. If you want a quote of that you can look it up yourself, that isn't my responsibility. Stevie as an insider is a source as well. If you need a quote for that look up 2 posts.

No one has told him, or expected him to ''rely'' on stats, ever. Not sure why Adelman fans get all defensive the second anything perceived as negative is said about him. This might come as a shock: the guy is not perfect, far from it.

#134 CXbby, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Huh? You claim the media said something. People ask for the source. It's YOUR responsibility to provide the link. Or whatever you said has no credit.

You don't even understand this simple commonsense? You claim about something, you are responsible to provide proof, not the people who question it. If you can't provide the source, your claim has no credibility.

Not relying on stats means complaining about it. Questioning your claim means believing Adelman is perfect. LOL. You sure like to twist things in people's mouths.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not sure why you think I would give a damn about if my ''claim'' has credibility or not. I'm not here trying to prove a case or something. There is no burden of proof. All I did was make a comment. Plenty of people here have read the same articles I did. If you don't believe me, well quite frankly I couldn't care less.

Not sure if you know what the words ''source of separation'' means? No one told him, or was forcing him to rely on stats, yet it was still a source of separation between him and the front office. Why was that?

#136 CXbby, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

BTW no one asked me for a source. She asked Stevie for a source because she thought Stevie was claiming the media said something. I was simply pointing out that the source in this case was not the media, but Stevie himself. Although the media has made similar claims which backs this up as well. Try to keep up.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Reporting aside, Morey has said himself numerous times regarding coaching and statistics. I remember in one interview, he talked about how in general statistics done by their analysts confirm what coaches understand at an innate level. And that coaches generally make correct decisions that are supported by analysis. This was in the middle of Adelman's tenure, so it can be assumed Morey was speaking of Adelman in this regards.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ehh some of what I found..

From Clutch: He wasn’t a fan of a statistics-based approach.

@TeamZiller: Speaking of Houston and advanced stats, I've heard from a few people that Adelman wasn't exactly gung ho about the detailed reems of data.

Feigen: Rick Adelman’s supposed disregard for the information available to him was probably exaggerated through his tenure. He considered input; used some. He also had enough decades coaching NBA basketball to not need as much guidance as Alexander described that day.

Feigen: The team is expected to seek a greater emphasis on player development and likely will want a coach who will more readily embrace the organization’s analytics-oriented approach.

Feigen: They will look at someone who will be more eager to use the data they provide, the analytics, the metrics, where they can produce anything you imagine, they can give you to understand trends or something about the other team. Rick was more into the box scores. . . .Not a yes man but maybe dont throw my info in the corner of the room.

20. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

ADELMAN FANS OWNEEEEEEED