1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm trying to argue that any gameplan that takes the ball out of their best offensive player's hands is a good thing. Would you rather live and die trying to stop Mark Ingram or Drew Brees? It's no contest.

2. Hey Now!

So... once a year, roughly, he makes a bad decision that (might) cost us a game? And that's somehow pushing us from 12-4 to 10-6?

(And while I absolutely agree he made a mistake against the Colts - you cannot assume that had he done the right thing, and run, run, run Foster that they would have won. That's drawing a false conclusion. It likely gives them a *better* chance of winning - but beyond that, it guarantees nothing. Players still have to make plays, avoid mistakes, etc., and the Colts had a guy then that was pretty good at that.)

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He is getting better...but he made many mistakes when it came to clock management with time outs, situational play calls, throwing the red flag, etc...

Granted, he was also new to the coaching world. First time head coaches dont usually come in and tear it up with the decision making (as evidenced by Harbaugh in SF last week). Kubiak has definitely had his fair share of head scratching moments. But, I have seen him get better...and thats really what its all about. Just like players need experience on the field, coaches need the same on the sidelines.

4. Hey Now!

Let's add some context. They ran 13 plays in the 3Q: 7 passes; 6 runs. That is not "constantly throwing it" by any measure.

On their first series, third play (after two runs, btw) Winston was flagged for holding, forcing a 2nd and 19 and then eventually a 3rd and 10. (Winston's hold wiped out a 23-yard pass play, btw.) Next series, Schaub was sacked on the first play, setting up a 2nd and 20. The second sack came on 3rd and 12 with Schaub in shotgun, obvious passing down Miami teed off on.

Are you suggesting he should have run in those situations? And keep in mind: they blew the game open with a TD pass in the 4Q (in a game in which Schaub was sharp and very efficient) so I think it's safe to assume they thought they could attack that secondary and was ultimately proven right. I don't think criticism of Kubiak is warranted here. They were holding onto a slim lead and he was aggressively trying to increase it.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You ain't welcome around these parts.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:confused:

When the game was on the line with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter, we ran the ball on 8 consecutive plays and milked the clock down to 2 minutes. Game over.

7. Hey Now!

We all do it, self included - but sometimes, when you get an idea in your head.... no amount of contrary evidence is going to convince you otherwise.

I didn't have an ounce of issue with Kubiak's playcalling Sunday.

8. conquistador#11

I think he is still haunted by the game against the colts last season.
    It's haunted me too, but it's a new season now. Lombardi couldn't have done any better with that defense last year. Now that wade is the coach of the D, like Capers is to the packers, we will see a bigger improvement.

it's almost friday. :grin:

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've said it before here, but I work third shifts, and during football season, I don't mind working the weekend at all. I get out of work Wednesday at 7 am. Have the rest of Wednesday off, Thursday off, and then go in Friday night a 10:30 P.M. I work Friday night, and Saturday night. Sunday morning, I get home around 7:30, and sleep till 12:30 (East coast). I wake up just in time for football. Skip most of the pregame. It's brilliant.:cool:

I usually only work every third weekend, though.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's being a hell of a lot cooler than the Tennessee Trolls. That's all I care about. Always good to get the perspective from the other side, and I've got all the respect in the world for folks (a) brave enough to talk in "enemy" territory and (b) do so civilly with no intent to stir the pot.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There others. . alot others
    I think we could have easily squeezed out 2~4 more wins last year
    even with the horrible defense
    I think some weaknesses in our offense. . mainly play calling
    were evident last year but no one looks at it

Situational Play Calling

We will see.

Rocket River

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We looked at it last year, but it's a new year so most of us have moved on.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I really want to see a win this coming Sunday

15. Hey Now!

Whoah, whoah....... that is a mighty hefty charge, pinning 2-4 losses on Kubiak last year. Please elaborate. Especially losses in which the defense played well enough to win if only the offense had done something...

16. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Dungy killing the Texans

<iframe src="http://videos.sportsgrid.com/embed/player/?layout=&playlist_cid=&media_type=video&content=XFYMKR16DCVHFH13&read_more=1&widget_type_cid=svp" width="630" height="450" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Super Mario on Jim Rome.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

McClain_on_NFL
    Texans placed OT Rashad Butler on IR. Brought up Andrew Gardner from P squad. Signed Cody Wallace 2 P sqd.

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

610 reporting that Foster participated in limited practice today, but Kubes says its just "part of the process." Dunno what the heck that means.

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

Also, Schaub had twin girls this week. Congrats to him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.