1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Skip Bayless?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Skip not buying the Texans, lets prove him wrong

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DzbIipqlTDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Saints fan checking in with my take:

I think turnovers decide this game. Well, turnovers, penalties, and sacks. Basically the team that makes fewer mistakes is going to win. With the game being in New Orleans, this should give a bit of an edge to the Saints.

Y'all aren't going to stop the Saints offense from moving the ball. Brees is as accurate right now as he's ever been, and as long as it's not 3rd and 1, Sean Payton is a master play-caller. We'll lean on Jimmy Graham more and more with Colston out as our pass catcher across the middle, and if you don't know much about him yet, you will, he's a freak. We're going to be able to spread the field and pass on you when we need and I think we'll be able to get big yards inside when we decide to run the ball. But yards won't win the game and Wade's scheme has the potential to quickly erase a team's long drive. If the Texans can manage to get pressure up the middle they can really manage to put Breesus in position to committ turnovers or atleast take sacks. He's incredible at stepping up in the pocket and avoiding the speed rush from the outside, but if the defense can get a good push up the middle Brees occasionally gets panicky and forces stupid throws, or will try too hard to keep the play alive and avoid the rush and leave the ball open to be stripped. This is the Texans' defense's best shot at getting off the field. Easier said than done, though, as the Saints have one of the top interior offensive lines in the league. Barring turnovers and untimely sacks, the Saints should score points in bunches Sunday.

The Texans' offense always strikes fear into opponents and there's no doubt they can score enough to keep up with the Saints. I don't really know what to make of the Saints' defense right now. We got torched by the Packers' seemingly unstoppable machine of an offense, but completely dominated the Bears to the point where the only yards the Bears could gain were on dump-offs to Forte. The biggest difference in the two games was we got to Cutler or damn near every play, but couldn't get near Rodgers the entire game outside of a couple huge blitzes. The Texans offensive line is alot closer to the quality of the Green Bay line than that of the Bears' atrocious collection of fat guys. But the noise in the dome should allow the Saints' pass rush to get off the ball quicker and put some pressure on Schaub. If given time, though, Schaub should be able to pick apart the defense. Jabari Greer is, IMO, the most underrated cornerback in the NFL. He's every bit as good as any other corner out there and rides his man all over the field. That being said, there's nothing anybody can do to stop Andre. He may not have a monster game, but he'll obviously get his. I love the rest of our matchups in the secondary against the rest of your WRs, but our linebackers can't cover anybody. Id expect Owen Daniels to have a big day and you should also be able to to get solid yards with your backs out of the backfield. As far as the running game goes, Im very worried. We did not your cut blocks well at all in the preseason and the Texans were able to open up massive holes. We'll see if the Saints D-Line has learned a way to counteract that, Im not optimistic.

So like I said at the beginning, mistakes are going to dictate the outcome. The way it looks to me, is that as long as each offense executes properly, they should be able to score on most possessions. But an extra possession or two from turnovers would give either team a huge edge and even a well-timed sack that forces a punt could turn the tide. In the end, my prediction: 34-24 Saints. Good luck.

5. Uprising

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Skip is a Cowboys honk, so I don't give two ****s about what this loudmouth blowhard says.

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I also agree with Sapp that we will be contenders, mainly because of Thunder and Lightening ( Tate and Foster).

These next 4 games, if we go 2-2, we could possibly face a 1st round bye heading into the playoffs. Look at the rest of our schedule.

I can see us dropping maybe 2-3 games being Titans once on the road week 7, Falcons at home week 13 and maybe the Buccaneers Week 10.

11-5 is my guess.

Best case scenario we go 12-4.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think the line is Saints by 4, which means we have a decent shot :cool:

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Barely by a field goal.

Like I said earlier, we need to go 2-2 these next 4 games, so either this Saints game and the Ravens game are the only 2 that aren't must wins. I think we can beat the Steelers and Raiders.

10. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

After watching the Ravens D embarrass themselves last weekend, I think we should be able to take it to them. Pit doesn't exactly have a light'em up offense either, so holding them in check like they did doesn't show me much.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

nothing wrong with what he said, it was actually reasonable. Only complained about Schaub being unproven.

13. Uprising

I guess I miss heard Kubiak today, he said end of the week. I heard a week.

So good news if he's back.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He said he's seen more out of Romo in the 4th quarter then he has of Schaub in the 4th quarter. Week 2 in Washington, 4th and 10, skip.

[​IMG]

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What about the quarterback sneak against Miami a few years back? For a non-mobile quarterback, I loved that.

Look, as far as the game with the Saints go, here are my thoughts:

I think the Saints fan that posted a couple posts ago is underestimating our defense. Our pass defense is much improved this year. I'm not discounting Drew Brees, by any means (I think he's probably the fourth best qb in the league, if you count a healthy Peyton), but he did not play well against the Texans defense in the preseason. Yeah, that doesn't count for much, but it counts for a little bit. Brees is going to get his yardage ( I think he'll probably throw for around 300 yards), but I don't think Wade will let Brees beat us through the air. He'll make them do it with the running game.

Smart defensive people know that, to beat a good quarterback, you have to keep him out of the game as much as possible. When I say out of the game, I mean two things:
    A.) You control the time of possession. I think the Texans will give the Saints a heavy dose of run in the beginning. If we're gonna beat these guys, it will be by following the model we used to beat the Colts in week one last year. Run it like crazy and keep Brees off the field.
    B.) Keep the ball out of his hands. You have to play great pass defense, and get a good pass rush to keep them running the ball. I don't care if Ingram has a game like Thomas did against us last week, as long as Brees isn't throwing the ball all over the field.

I guess I'm still a little concerned about guys like Sproles. The way we limited Bush last week has me a little less concerned, but I want to see us once again be able to stop the small, speedy guys. If we can do this, I'll have a lot of confidence when we play the Titans.

I think the key of the game is offensive line play for both teams. The Texans offensive line was not as good as it should have been against the Dolphins in the pass game. If we play the same way against the Saints, I think it will be a long day.

On the other hand, if we can get to Bress, collapse the pocket, make him move around a bit, we'll be alright. That's kind of why we were so effective against him during the preseason. They did run the ball on us, and Brees moved the Saints down the field a bit with his passing (although his stat line wasn't too good, to be honest), but when it mattered, the Texans got after Brees, and he made a mistake or two. That was the birth of the "bend but don't break" attitude in Houston.

My actual predictions:
    Saints - 24
    Texans - 30

Brees - 300 yards, 2 Tds 2 Ints
    Schaub - 265 yards 2 Tds 1 Int
    Foster - 75 yards 1 Td
    Tate - 95 yards 1 Td

17. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any word on Foster? Is he playing? I think a non-gassed Foster for 15 carries and Tate for 15-20 carries gives us a real good chance. That would allow us to control TOP, and keep the defense winded. If we can rotate Foster and Tate in and out throughout the game, keeping them both fresh, along with our passing attack - oooohweeeee, I wouldn't want to be the opposing defense. Our offense with Foster healthy is ridiculous. Tate is a revelation.

Without Foster, I'm petrified of this game.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Saints defense is not good. They're opportunistic, but not shut-em-down. The way they beat you is when the offense makes careless mistakes. Then they take advantage of them.

We should be able to move the ball regardless of who is back there (Tate or Foster). Now if its Slaton, then we're in trouble.

19. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

The Saints defense was actually the exact opposite of this last year. While opportunistic was definitely a fair way of describing the D the Super Bowl year, it hasn't been accurate sense then. Last season, the Saints ranked 4th in the NFL in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed, while being at the bottom of the league in turnovers forced. This season we've forced just one turnover so far. While the unit is not elite, it is a pretty strong unit overall and definitely capable of shutting teams down. But like you said, the Texans can generally move the ball regardless of which defense is on the other side and they should be able to get their yards on Sunday. But they won't be facing the same takeaway-or-bust defense the Saints put on the field in '09.

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Have you not been paying attention earlier in the week??... People on the BBS wanna see blood!!!... They want us to not only win, they want us to be Patriot-like and blow em away... I just want a win, but that would put me in the minority....... Again!!!!.......This world is *****ed up mane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.