1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Track and Field] Double amputee reaches 400m semis at world championships, unfair?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WXv1oaO38_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=Ap1R2o2LG0JYtErobp_Z_OTNycIF?slug=ap-worlds-pistorius

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

wow, that's pretty amazing. he's obvioulsy using different parts of his body and strength to achieve this feat, but I can't decide whether it's a level playing field or not.

I mean, he made it look easy...

is there even a category for a runner like him in the paralympics? are there enough double amputee runners to even compete with him?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yes, totally unfair. He should be competing in the Special Olympics.

2 people like this.
  4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its hard to judge.
    Dude looked like he was coasting though lol.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"We're not going for a hug, we're going for a f****** Gold Medal."
    -Murderball

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey, if the other guys don't like it they can cut off their own legs and get a pair of blades.

;)

DD

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Blade Runner, lulz.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Didn't this happen already? Not sure if it's the same guy. Anyways, here's what IMMEDIATELY came to mind when I saw this thread:

Poor little tink tink

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_qlNEmpxQxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Sorry guys. Forgot to mention, the vid I posted is way NSFW. But watch the while thing. You won't regret it

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

On one hand, he can't run in a normal motion. He has to swing his legs out at the hip somewhat in order to take a step. It's not the most efficient way to run. On the other hand, those legs are probably pretty light and so is he. Your legs account for roughly 40% of your body weight. So it probably takes less energy to move than it does for somebody with real legs. And the legs themselves provide some degree of spring. How that compares to real legs, I don't know.

So there are disadvantages but also some potential advantages. Do they balance out?

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I ran 400 in high school (JV). Thats a funny running motion as you'd expect. Though it does look like he was coasting more than the other others.

Most the other runners arm motions are more pronounced and active, lunging out for more power. His arms and upper body are more smooth and don't move as much.

I still think its a cool story and neat sight. Not every even above average person can do that, takes exceptional ability. Still, need to research it more. Maybe it stops other amputees from dreaming big if its not recognized as official later, but it just confuses things.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

That is silly. Before Pistorius, the Paraplegic world record for the 400m was > 47.49s. He set the world record in 2008 at 47.49s which in the same Olympics would have been the 6th WORST time of any of the 400m competitors.

True, his legs may be a tad bit lighter and he could have improvements made to his prostheses to go faster, but we are not at the point where those can match what is natural in any fashion.

I think it is amazing what he has accomplished, and in given the Olympic spirit and message of togetherness he should be applauded.

The reason the sport has balked at his claims though is because they do not know how to approach this. The fear is that at some point in the future there will be technology that may give an amputee an advantage over person without a super-enhanced leg. It is simply easier for the people in charge to avoid developing a way to ward against while allowing people using legitimate technology to compete.

However, that is simply cowardly. Don't athletes without prostheses try to gain an advantage with drugs, steroids and other therapies? Didn't the sport have to learn how to deal with those and institute standards and rigorous testing to ensure the purity of the sport?

Now true, there are probably some athletes who were not caught, and it costs a good deal of resources to maintain those standards and keep them up to date, but anyone would know that medicine and biotech is no where close to improving on the human body with mechanical prostheses. Not to mention, do they really expect to have go through rigorous testing process for numerous athletes in that position? How many paraplegics would really have the mental and physical fortitude and determination to even have a chance to be on even footing with other athletes?

This is a joke and the sport needs to be called out on it.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So you are saying
    100% without a doubt
    there is no advantage to the prostheses?

QUESTION: When they do get the Tech to make improvements . . . where do you draw the line? Do you disqualify someone who . . . in some insane bid for fame. . . intentionally maims his legs? [Before you say that is dumb . . . i would give you exhibit A: THE HUMAN RACE and FEAR FACTOR] [I even heard that some intimated that some pitchers may get tommy-john surgery[?] to improve their pitching even when unnecessary . .. but i dunno enough about baseball to confirm . . . is that acceptable? I would think not but . . . ]

I think the assessment has to be more thorough before a determination could be made. I think in an effort to bend of backwards to pat this guy on the should we cannot loose track and not investigate. What he did is exceptional but is it olympic.

Last Question: The Olympic Event is suppose to be the ultimate test of Natural Ability.
    In saying that they have deems Steriods unnatural. Growth Hormones Unnatural. By the criteria of Natural-ness . .these prostheses are not natural.

Rocket River

Rocket River

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Until there is a problem, there isn't a problem. He's the only one in the world that can do this. When other amputees start kicking everyone's ass, then we should worry about it. Until then, I will applaud such heroic efforts. This guy gives hope to the many people who do not have limbs such as the war heroes that have been injured in the middle east.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

some guys have all the luck

1 person likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cannot Wait until you have two
    and one says the other one's aluminum alloy give him an unfair advantage over his own titanium alloy

Rocket River

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm more concerned about Bolt...they need to change the rule back to two false starts...

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Human evolution. As cyber engineered humans eventually surpass ordinary humans(in strength and intelligence), ordinary humans will be reduced to an inferior sub-species and will face eventual extinction.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is unfair. Unfair that he doesn't have legs, and unfair that he has technology to help him.

It is also unfair that Usain Bolt is faster than me.