1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Part of an NBA Player's game you admire most?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Mine used to be shooting, I used to look for players who could become the next Ray Allen, Reggie Miller. But over time I noticed that these types of players don't really contribute as great as those who are good in other aspects of the game.

As I became more educated on the different sides of basketball, I've grown to appreciate the post game. Players with skills in the low post, are what leads to championships. It's been proven all throughout history (aside from defense and team oriented offense). When you have a guy skilled in the low post such as Shaq, Duncan, Gasol, Dirk it becomes that much easier to score and be counted upon in the last seconds of the game. When coaches plan different defenses against you and all your other plays become nullified, you can pass it to your star big man (or elite wing with post offense skills) and let him work it against his defender by doing a post move. This is partly why I'm excited about having Morris... he has the potential to be that go-to guy as Yao was a few years ago.

What part of the game do you guys admire most? Passing? Defense? Shot blocking?

2 people like this.
  2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

The tail they pull.....

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

DEFENSE!! It's crazy how athletic and skilled guys are these days, and the fact that there's players out there that go toe to toe with them and don't lose ground is amazing. That's one of the reasons I love Josh Smith so much it's not his flashy dunks or his incredibly high arking brick shots, but the fact that's he's so committed on the defensive end. Admittedly, it's been tough watching the "new" Rockets, but you learn to just appreciate basketball eventually.

4. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

i love the sweet mid range Js.

Dirk, Allen, T-Mac...etc omg so nice.

5. YaosDirtyStache

You must REALLY be disappointed in the game today then.

For me it is still, and always will be, shooting.
    To watch someone be a dead-eye at a non-natural toss movement will always take the cake. It is a blend of time, composure, hard work, and skill to make someone a good shooter.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

1. Monster dunks
    2. Humiliating blocks
    3. Ankle breakers
    4. Shake n bakin post moves

Sounds shallow I know.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Footwork in the post moves for sure. They make it look so easy, but it actually takes years and years of practice to do well.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Defense

The otherthing a appreciate is:
    Midrange shot
    Post game
    Passing

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'd like to say something flashy, but for me it has always been the Jason Kidd guard rebound where he just reads the ball two seconds before anyone else and gets there first.

10. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

1. The mid range pull up jumper.
    2. I like a beautiful post up game like Dream or Scola. Not Brutish like Shaq.
    3. Sick Handles. Crossovers.
    4. Blocks.

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

For me, gotta go with assists. Nothing brings out the team in team sports like a great assist. I also like any player with a decent hookshot. Hard to see those these days.

You get on a Rockets fanboard and not mention Hakeem, the greatest post player ever? :eek:

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Ability of a player to single-handedly take over a game... Go off for 40 and 14 of it is in the 4th.. Vintage T-Mac, Kobe, Lebron and D-Wade type stuff...

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Shot blockers... especially on dunk attempts.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I love watching great ball handling. Watching someone break down a good defensive player is awe-inspiring.

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

How accurately they pass the ball, right to the shooter's shot pocket, up high to the big, threading the needle with a bounce pass in the paint that somehow gets up high enough to lead the big to the rim-- that's beautiful stuff. When I see a pass out to a shooter's ankles, it makes me cringe.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

....gregoden....

17. jvu

jvu Member

Love those high arc'd swishing threes.
    The vball shot blocking blocks.
    shutting down a superstar on defense.
    Love When a player gets unstoppable in the 4th quarter making the most redonkulous shots!

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Court vision
    Shooting
    Hustle

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ball Handling
    Level of evasiveness during drives
    Verticals

20. RoxSqaud