1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dirt: Near trade-ups, Biedrins and Flynn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Do you rather that he does not try to move up next year?

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd rather that he actually do it. I'm tired of being asked to be satisfied with almosts and near-misses as a Houston sports fan, generally.

4. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Morey is too busy trying to pull off deals that make him look like the smartest man alive rather than deals that actually improve the organization.

The word is out on him in the league. He wants to crush your team in deals. That being known, walls are being put up left and right.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

It's all about health, when he has been healthy the guy has been great. Three seasons ago he was putting up 11 and 11 while blocking almost 2 a game. The key will be health, if healthy which is a HUGE if, then 9 million a year for a 25 year old athletic center will look like a bargain. Flip side, if he continues getting hurt then it will be a huge issue.

7. baller4life315

Agreed and I'm not trying to be difficult here. Beggars can't be choosers.

I just find the combination of durability issues and his vastly overrated post defense and/or overall defense impact to be quite disturbing.

8. alethios

alethios Member

These guys won't have much chance to change anyone's minds (coaching staff or management) if (when) the lockout happens. Sucks to be them. But it would suck too if we were stuck with them for several more years.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

$9M for a serviceable center is par for the course. Obviously being injured the past 2 years is hard to swallow, especially for Rockets fans. But look at a guy like Tyson Chandler, who has also battled injuries, having his worst year before he joined the Mavs. Then all of a sudden he turns out to be a steal. Biedrins being 25 years old, I would be happy to take the chance. Still prefer Asik though.

#49 CXbby, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  10. baller4life315

I hear ya and at the end of the day I'd take him (especially if it amounts to nothing more than a salary dump).

Just saying I've always considered him an overrated defender. Sort like an Amare type where they get credit defensively for recording a blocked shot or two. Meanwhile, most people completely ignore how poor of a one-on-one or help defender that particular player is.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

#51 v3.0, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey confirmed they had an opportunity to get the #8 pick. They wanted it to go draft one of the Morris twins but then as the draft went on they decided they could get one at #14.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biedrins is an interesting idea. WHile he does have a high salary, he offers what the rockets need at the 5.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

To be fair, I believe that annoying Nelson offense messes with people's opinion of players quite a bit. In most cases, I tend to believe GSW player values are inflated. But in Biedrins case, the opposite may actually be true. That he may be undervalued because all they do is run up and down.

I still would quite hesitant due to his large salary and injury troubles, but like you say, beggars can't be choosers. :(

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Not that it is a rumor or anything, but I´d say best case scenario is we somehow can snatch Marc Gasol - he is a free agent, right?

How much cap space do we have? I know that Memphis can match any offer, but I´d say right now it is ok to overpay a little on a center with his talent level (even though a hard cap may be coming). I´d like to see Morey do anything he can to get that kid here.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

McHale wants to make the playoffs, but this looks like a 30 win team at best. It would set us up great up the 2012 draft, but I doubt they would do that.
    And is that T-will starting? Even on a tank roster, he shouldn't even have pt unless he stops acting like an idiot.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have like Beidrens and posted about him for a couple of years, I think he is a bigger version of Chuck Hayes, and would be great as a starting center for this team.

DD

18. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Has Morey ever let anyone become an unrestricted free agent as a Rocket? And by that I mean letting a contract expire with no trade of any sort. The only one I can think of is Yao but I think that's a special exception.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

As an SF resident, I catch a lot of Warriors games during the season. Biedrins is pretty much always injured, so he'd be a perfect fit in Houston.

He's ok on D, but has almost no game on offense. Probably not worth the $12M or so that he's paid.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Certainly can't shoot for crap...but is smart enough to stick to put backs and dunks (nearly 60% FG for his career). At $9M, he's overpaid....but not as badly as guys like Dalembert.

I'd far rather Marc Gasol, but if we"re going to goose egg free agency, Biedrins beats going with Hayes/Thabeet at center.

Question is, who are we sending to GSW?