1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Rockets could trade #14, #23 to Milwaukee for #10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jason3333, Jun 21, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If they can't tell the difference between them, they obviously haven't put in the video time.

Off topic, CX, what's your opinion of Kawhi Leonard?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can he hit the corner trey? ;-)- It would be great to have a 3 to throw at the other team's best wing and play lockdown defense. Williams should have been able to fill the role this past season, but he didn't seem interested. Not much on offense, though. Not who I'd want, but a solid pick.

"Off topic, CX, what's your opinion of Kawhi Leonard?" Please!! (as in please get him, Dork Elvis!)

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'll be honest I know a lot more about Marcus Morris than Leonard. When Morey mentioned Kansas as his favorite in the NCAA tournament, I made it point to keep an eye out for their players since obviously he liked some of them.

With that said, with my limited knowledge, Leonard looks to be about an average player. His athleticism is overrated, but he makes up for it with his insane wingspan and huge hands. His offense is limited, inefficient, and worse, I don't think he realizes. On the plus side, he has youth, and I think his rebounding will translate. Overall I see a role player most likely. Absolute best case scenario of Gerald Wallace if he develops defensively. But I wouldn't count on it.

Vesley is another SF that I kind of see in the same light. In his case, ultra-athletic, tall, but limited offensively. However he has experience going for him, as he has competed, and had success, in the highest level competition outside the NBA. I don't think he would have any problems fitting in to a team concept, and has potential defensively. But again, role player.

The reason why I like Marcus so much is because unlike the other two, he has the IT factor. His ceiling is higher than a role player because of his ability to create effectively for himself ala Pierce/Carmelo. Not saying he will be that good, but he is that type of player, which we DESPERATELY need. People keep saying this draft lacks "impact players" but I think he is one. People keep saying he has "limited upside" because he isn't as athletic or young, the same things they said about Brandon Roy. Remember, Roy didn't break out until his senior year either, averaging around 12 points his sophomore and junior seasons in college. I think Marcus will have a similar career trajectory and a similar impact in the NBA. Really the ONLY player in the entire draft that I can say that about confidently(maybe Irving). That's why I think he should be at the top of our draft board.

4. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I think the Rockets are trying to trade up for Klay Thompson. He could be the potential K-mart replacement if the Rockets trade him.

The kid can shoot, handle the ball, create his own shot and has high bball IQ. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Rockets try to pick up Klay Thompson.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

If the Rockets go for number 10, then they should target Biyombo.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The target @ #10 could be anyone. My guess would be Morris or Biyombo.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting. I see Kawhi much the same way. The Sheldon Williams of 2011, a bust. I think Vesely has a chance to be decent and maybe even good, a chance. Don't think Leonard is anything more than a garbage man. Those are a dime a dozen. I think Jimmy Butler will have a better career than Leonard.

TRIPLE THREAT

That's what you see in Morris. When he catches the ball, he can dribble drive, shoot it, or find the open man. He's dangerous in the triple threat.

No player in the NBA can really be considered a star/superstar if they are not a threat in the TRIPLE THREAT. Mark that down. That's one reason why I don't see it with Leonard. He is not a threat in the TRIPLE THREAT. He's too awkward and not basketball quick with the ball in his hands.

And that is why I like Derrick WIlliams and Marcus Morris as the best SFs in this draft. Because they are a serious threat in the TRIPLE THREAT position. Leonard is not. Vesely is not at this point. Singleton definitely isn't. Only Williams and Morris.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey has never picked a player for this reason. He picked Patterson(and Landry, Brooks, etc. before PP) not because they can contribute right away, but because they're BPA.

The reason why Morey ranked Patterson so high is because he felt PP was underrated by scouts, due to the "unknown shiny new toys > excellent but old toys" reasoning. This could apply to Singleton, but it might also not be.

Morey also mixes a good number of "projects" like Hill, TWill, Thabeet. There's no reason to believe he won't take on a project with this pick.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well you have sold me on the guy. this is who im rooting for the rockets to get. i havent been able to follow these guys this year like i have in years past. but i wanted brandon roy in the draft then, so if you think this is the guy im with ya ;)

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i have to work :(

grading the state exams till 7. i won't make it in time.

11. alethios

alethios Member

Unless we can do the trade with Pistons, it sounds like he's their man - http://twitter.com/#!/vgoodwill

Him or Markieff, because Markieff apparently impressed Pistons also.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well there is no guessing what's going through DM's head right now. i can say that he usually takes his "risks" via trade (hill, twill, thabeet). that way you buy them for what they are worth now. if they pan out you win. when you're drafting you have to get value. call it BPA or ready to play now. brooks, landry, pat all fit the bill.

we don't know who DM thinks is the best player left, but we do know that if you are trying to trade up that means the guy you want will be taken before you pick(#14). it also means he should be on the board after your newly acquired pick (#10). so we can assume that the guy morey wants is projected to go between 11-13. who is the common name being looked at by GS, UTA, and PHX? singleton. just happens to be a good fit here too.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm still not sold with him at the 3 but his potential versatility is what's intriguing about him.

The guy has a legitimate beast mode to him. I know I saw it activate against Baylor :eek:

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

State exams? I thought it's summer vacation time.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Dude, I have you seen the videos I've posted on him? The underground one that took me forever to dig up? My question is can he play the 2, not 3? Lol.

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

i will have to see it to believe it

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ya i did but he looks lighter in those days..the one I saw was in his freshmen year. The guy is 6'9", 235 and heavier than some of Euro big men coming in.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

TRIPLE THREAT.

I just had to write it myself after seeing it so much :grin:

Yeah, i hadn't seen him a lot in college and thought he may not have the handle to play 3 well, but looking at his workouts he's showing he can handle the ball almost like a two. Interesting player.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nope. schools are in until the 28. no more teaching, just proctoring and grading tests. so ill be watching the bucks draft singleton followed by stern saying "i have a trade to announce" from my house.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

That's true, which is why it might take a while for him to adjust back to playing on the wing. Slim down, lean up a bit. Thing is, he might be heavier, but he sure didn't just forget those skills. It will be like riding a bike. Only difference is, now you add an ELITE(best in the nation) post game on top of his freshman skillset... sorry, I need to go wipe up my drool.