1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Tyler

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Brad Newley is known for being a very athletic dunker and excellent defender. His spot shooting is nothing more than average, at best.

Newley is very athletic and is excellent on defense. He's like 15 times better at defense than Martin is.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Newley is average athletically & Martin would destroy his defense.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Im in Australia and Ive followed Brad Newley and gave up because how crap he is and will be.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought as much, thanks for the post!!!

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Good read.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19994

6. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

7. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

You have clearly never seen Newley play, ever.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Yeah right, I'm Aussie and he ain't no chump at defense but he isn't "excellent" or "15 times better than Martin".

9. Sooty

[​IMG]

a) this is a Tyler thread.

b) you somehow spend your days just watching Euroleague and apparently know soooo much about every single player playing in Europe. Amazing.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Brad Newley were so good we would have heard something about him by now. It's been a few years now that he was drafted. We've heard nothing. Newley has been somewhat non-existent since he was drafted. Besides, this is a Jeremy Tyler thread and we heard about him overseas. First we heard about him acting his age, then later, somewhat coming along and now impressing scouts at the NBA combine and workouts.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im pretty sure Newly has practiced and played with the team during summer league and preseason tryouts if I remember correctly.

I remember Chase Budinger and Jermaine Taylor stealing the show and Newly was pretty much a non factor on the floor. Maybe Im thinking of Marty Leunen but im pretty sure both of them were on that team.

If you cant outshine those two players...sorry, you cant play in the NBA.

Im not sure how Newly became a hot topic on this thread but if your comparing him to Jeremy Tyler the comparison couldn't get any further away.

What I was able to see with the draft combine highlights I really liked. In interviews he seemed much more mature than advertised. Also when the went through drills the kid looked solid.

I really like his shot as well. We have yet to see the guy in a game so again we all have no idea, but his measurements look solid as a natural PF at 6'11" with length and athleticism. He has the physical traits to be an NBA big, and a nice looking jump shot. Thats about all we know here.

I think he is worth a shot with the 2nd round pick if he is still on the board. If Keith Benson is still on the board I might take him over Tyler if they are looking to draft a true big who can play Center. I really dont see Tyler as a 5 in the NBA. Benson is more of a true Center, and there is much more data to work with in knowing what his success level will be at the next level.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dude, I've seen Newley, & came away unimpressed. He played in summer league with the Rox in Vegas & was sent packing. Oh and he couldn't guard Kevin Martin if his life depended on it. ;)

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like Benson as well but he won't be able to really contribute for a good 2 seasons at the 5. Tyler, otoh, will be able to contribute right away at the 5. At 6'11 262 pounds he would make a better center than he would a PF. Benson is too light to play center in the NBA. He would get bullied in the post. Remember, Tyler, for the past two seasons, was a 17-18 year old playing in a professional league getting professional training. With the experience that he has had already overseas, whether he was playing in a lesser league or not, Tyler would be ready from day one. They both were at the combine, but only one was getting mentioned throughout the whole process. Also, Tyler will not make it out of the 1st round. He probably won't get past NY at #17. Benson will be picked in the 2nd. We haven't been hearing his name mentioned much at all during these workouts. I bring this up because the people reporting are way more knowledgable about these players than we are.

14. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I wouldn't mind Tyler at 23 at all. Time to get risky, and if you're ever going to take a risk, take one with size.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

At first, I was thinking we should draft Tyler at 38. Now it's looking like the Rockets might have to use 23 or maybe even #14 on him :(. I hope he pans out if a team uses a mid 1st rounder on him.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the Rockets aren't able to trade up at all, they should use Scola, Bud, #23 and fillers to target Phillies 16th pick and Iggy. Get Tyler with the 16th pick.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What you are describing is a top ten (if not five) pick.

Remember that Tyler was a bench player in Japan's D League, right?

18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yes he is. And Newley plays like 5-6 games in 2 years for Australian national team. "I'm Australian" is really completely meaningless and has nothing to do with anything.

He has been playing for years in full seasons in Eurocup and Euroleague this year in Europe. People from Australia don't even hardly ever see him play and have a very small sample size to even know him.

Unless they think he is the same player as he was when he played in Australia, which is completely wrong. Newley is about 3 times better now than he was when he first came to Europe. And yes, he is a far better defender than Kevin Martin is. Newley is a good defender in Euroleague. Martin, at his current level of defense, would not play in Euroleague.

19. Sooty

Wow, just wow. We never saw Newley play locally at all when we ATTENDED freaking games when he was here at Townsville, but whatever, I guess you know better, mate. Along with the zillion other AWESOME, FANTASTIC, GREAT Euro players you know about because players like Martin would absolutely suck there. Right? And that's saying something, his defense was wayyyyyy better here than anything we've seen of him at the Worlds (yes, I don't watch Euro games)

Newley when he was not the greatest defender going around, wasn't bad but he wasn't above average or anything like that. And if anything, sure some of his stats have gone up since he began playing in Europe but that is also due to experience and more minutes over time. Also, his game has regressed from last year.

But whatever, you know all champ.

[​IMG]

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes i did say it was a lesser league. He was coming off the bench still playing 15 mins. averaging 10pts and 5+rbds in 33 games.