1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs trying to get 1st & 2nd overall picks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Egghead, May 28, 2011.

1. what

what Member

BTW, I just owned you. ;)

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Vertical is a key piece to overall athletic ability. That doesn't make Manu more athletic than Wade though. Your ignorance ASSUMES that I think athletic ability is all about verticals. The bottom line though is that you are dead wrong saying Manu is not Athletic.

Oh, take your SELF APPOINTED "owning" of another poster. I'm sure that makes you really proud of yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Dude, you look like a moron right now...just sayin'...

1 person likes this.
  4. what

what Member

So Manu has more of a key piece of the athletic ability puzzles. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this one. Better at a key piece should mean better overall, right?

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Why would it be better overall?? There are OTHER key pieces to overall athletic ability you know. There's a reason Wade was nicknamed "Flash".

But answer me this....why isn't Ginobili athletic?

6. what

what Member

Because Athletic Ability has to do with the way you power through your motion on drives.

When you see wade jump the speed and strength that he uses before he jumps makes him a beast.

Manu uses craftiness, hesitation moves, a sick jumper from range and pump fakes. All of which are unnecessary in wade's world. He will break your legs if your not careful.

Furthermore, if i were going to use a weak stat like vertical leap to prove a player is athletic, he better be close to the top of that margin, not in the middle of the pack.

Cool? Cool.

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

WOW .. LOL

So let me get this right, you would take Jimmer Fridette with the 1st overall pick... SMH .... and then you select Marcus Morris with the 2nd OVERALL pick... LMAO!!

8. what

what Member

I probably wouldn't take morris with the second pick. For continuity sake, I said I'd pick both of them if I were Cleveland. Cleveland owns the 1st and 4th pick respectively. So, if you were to pin me down I'd be Jimmer number 1 overall and Morris number 4.

However, I am not as sold on Morris as I am on Jimmer. It's just that I like his game.

9. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

So power through your drives is what athletic ability is all about??

I believe all the moves of Manu you described above are in fact necessary in Wade's world. Wade is very crafty given his ability to get to the rim, uses hesitation moves with his crossovers and every star in the NBA utilizes a pump fake. All of that is essential to his overall game.

Manu is athletic. Athletic ability goes beyond basketball btw.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

38 inches is well above-average, amigo. I think Manu is deceptively athletic, though he shouldn't be considered amongst tops in the league.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Manu has a 38 inch vert, he is by far the ****tiest 38 inch vert dunker I have EVER seen.

:grin:

12. Raven

Raven Member

Well, in our defense, it is a weak draft, but this is exactly what we should be doing, tank and collect as many first round picks as possible. Hopefully, we bottom out next season and luck into a top three 2012 pick, and then do the same in 2013.

13. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

what a troll

14. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

All of your arguments are invalid and it's making you look like a moron.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I didn't know Westbrook only had a 36.5 vertical.

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I just have to chime in real fast to let you know that you suck what. You're the one that said 38 vert is average and then the dude you're douching all over pretty much rubbed your ignorance in your face. Take your medicine, admit you were wrong about the vert and that your head is too far up your a** to make an honest determination on the athleticism of Manu or not.

Or -- how about framing an argument and trying to prove points like the guy who is owning you right now. Why not define athleticism and then analyze Manu to see if he is athletic or not?

By the way -- Many is athletic -- he is quick, can jump above average, and can contort his body and absorb contact in the air at a legendary level.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

He's being as ignorant as when he defends his Grizzlies. Too much pride in this one.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Athletic ability is what can distinguish a star from a super-duper star. How good would Lebron be with average athleticism? Or Shaq? Or heck, Hakeem without his legendary quickness?

Athleticism is not just barrelling down on a lane, after all. There's a load of factors, as you yourself argued on discounting Manu's vertical abiltiy.

And thanks for the sig, btw.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm with you one this. When you have the 1st pick, that player needs to have a special skil. Great athlete,elite shooter, or oversized for his poisition. Irving doesn't have a special skill or talent. He's not rose in terms of athleticism or bargiani in terms of size. He's just a guy. In terms of williams. I like him more than beasley, but they're very similar. He's kinda a tweener which isn't a bad thing if you play him with another tweener type.

20. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Height and Athletic Ability are the two most important stats in today's NBA.
    Players are getting bigger and quicker, and teams want players who are 2 ways players, that can finish at the rim.

Wouldn't call Kevin Love March Gasol as superstars, solid role players really.
    Height and Athletic Ability is huge in the NBA today, and after the Lakers loss, Magic Johnson said that today's league is about athletic players, and the Lakers were not athletic. Its why they struggled against younger teams, and why Lakers fan's didn't want to go near the Heat in the finals.

Look at the top teams in the NBA now, all have tall, athletic players, and its the way the NBA is going. Teams like Celtics Spurs Lakers, all older teams, are on the way out.