1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I don't think you understand the meaning of the phrase "addition by subtraction". It means that you removed a player from the lineup/roster who was hurting you, allowing you to play better as a team even though you did not acquire better talent in return.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ok,thanks for correcting me. I still felt DM did the right thing though by trading Shane. He wasn't hurting us,but he wasn't playing that well. We missed his defense,but the younger guys played much better after he left.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I love this. That looks like a fun team.

4. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Not sure that the Battier trade was really an addition by subtraction move, but the AB trade obviously was. Just my opinion.

5. nwcougar1

nwcougar1 Member

That's a lottery-bound team. Sorry, but giving up your leading scorer and replacing him with an unknown but potentially average player will move the Rockets in the wrong direction. The only way you trade a guy like Martin, particularly after the season her had is for a guy with a high ceiling and possibly a young up-n-comer. Not saying Kanter will be a total bust but I think we can do better. I'm sure there are a number of teams out there, even some playoff contenders that are one quality SG from being a championship team, that would swing a trade. Bottom line is that Morey needs a better return on the value.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

That's the point of his trade scenario. The team will be super young and athletic, and they will be fun to watch. If they lose from lack of chemistry or experience, the team gets a high pick in a loaded draft next year. Next season will most likely be shortened, so just go young and tank.

7. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Umm, no , the point of such a trade would not be to tank. The point would be to get a player that would be much better than Martin in, say, two years or less.

I'm not advocating any player in particular - in Morey we Trust - but I really hope we end up with a center, and that anybody we draft can play some kind of defense.

8. Ricksmith

did you read the trade that I was talking about? It clearly says "Tank the hell out of the shortened season that no one will even remember.(no way this will happen if we keep both Lowry and Hayes)"

So, yes, with THAT TRADE the point is to tank and get a high pick in next years draft.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sadly, I don't see a single player in this draft who I honestly think is HIGHLY LIKELY to be much better than Kevin Martin. So, unless we're getting back a top-5 pick AND something else of value, I'd rather just hold on to Martin. He's got more value around the league than many on this BBS realize. Perhaps he could be the primary component of a trade package for a (better) star-caliber player. Or, better yet, perhaps he can be a key component to a Rockets team that claws its way back into contention in the West (wishful thinking).

Would I trade Martin for the #2 pick and dead-weight contracts to match salaries? Probably not.

Would I trade Martin for the #2 pick and Wesley Johnson. I suppose so. But Minnesota likely wouldn't make that trade.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yeah, 18 year old projects that would be 3rd string on any good Euroleague club are worth picking for a NBA team that needs help now....................

11. Ricksmith

we're rebuilding, my dude. We aren't talking about Jonas or Kanter leading us to the finals or something. We're talking about drafting them and letting them grow with this team.

12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

That's not rebuilding. That's drafting 18 year old high school kids (that are just projects) to become starters. That is turning into another Cavs or Timberwolves, not rebuilding.

13. Ricksmith

and drafting Jan Vesely isn't?

14. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Vesely is still in development and is no finished product. But he is also light years more advanced and ready to play than Kanter or Valanciunas are.

Vesely could start immediately in the NBA. The other two are definite projects. There is absolutely no way in hell that you can compare the current levels of those two to the current level of Vesely.

Kanter = not good enough to make the senior men's team of his Euroleague club.

Valanciunas = only able to play in a small, bad Euroleague club, and only seeing any minutes on that club for the sole reason that his team was trying to showcase him for a buyout - otherwise he would not have seen the court at all. He was pushed around and bullied by all the bigs in Euroleague and could not guard his own shadow.

Vesely = one of the key rotation players on a good Euroleague club.

Absolutely no comparison at all between the current levels of development of these players. Not remotely so.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If we are to trade up at all in this draft, i would look to at least try to get up in the top 4. Not to excited about the 7th pick.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still waiting on a video of Vesely shooting the ball. I've seen too many videos of Kanter shooting threes even.

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Doh!

But, the Rockets are not going to make any such trade with the intention of tanking. They had the perfect opportunity to tank last year, and they didn't do it. They could have kept AB and traded CLee for those two draft picks instead. Maybe even ordered RA to play Thabeet.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Lies. What you say about Kanter, what you say about Valanciunas and what you say about Lietuvos and Partizan.

They were pretty similar teams this year (both top-16 teams). In fact, Lietuvos was close to qualifying for the quarterfinals (after they beat the eventual champions Panathinaikos -with a good game by Jonas-) while Partizan was the last clasiffied in his group. Take a look.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Vesely is not that good of a shooter. Why would there be videos of him "shooting the ball". All of his games are available live online. If you want to see him shooting, just watch a few. The games are very easily accessible on internet.

20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yeah, and Sergio Llull is also a "point guard" according to you. The same player that has spend years playing SG. You have not seen any more Euroleague games than any of the other members here that have never seen any.