1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Atheists get so much grief?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, Jul 21, 2009.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for giving me a reason to post this song.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/el75UyYO554" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I must have. I have trouble swallowing the idea of "I don't believe there is a God, but there might be one." Seems like cognitive dissonance to me.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think your problem might stem from your definitions of atheist and agnostic.

4. Depressio

I'm just going to leave this here.

[​IMG]

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I didn't read all of both lists, but I am pretty sure that Ymir is the progenitor of the frost giants, not a god.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I remember you referring to yourself as an agnostic a while back. It's good to see you come over to the dark side.

7. Depressio

Well that completely refutes the point of the graphic flawlessly. Bravo. :rolleyes:

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So sorry to have failed to completely refute the point of your graphic. Clearly that was my intention and I failed miserably. If only my family did not have to live with this shame. I will try to bravely soldier on, but the devastation this has wrought in me (compounded by your cutting and incisive reply) will surely test my resolve to go on living, let alone remain a poster here on the ClutchBBS. Please pray for my success.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, you're not agnostic about that.

10. Depressio

I don't pray. I'm an atheist. Carry on with your devastated pride.

1 person likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Atheists make up the majority of our educated elite.

Atheists that are simultaneously intelligent and honest can NOT run for office.

So they get a lot of grief.

#1011 RudyTBag, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Aint into religion, but I wouldnt mind getting a few of those 72 virgins Bin Laden was gonna get in heaven.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm an atheist and even I don't know if this is true, either historically or even outside of psychology or the natural sciences. Education begets a confidence in one's own beliefs and an ability to rationalize them.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It is true.

15. amaru

amaru Member

I guess I'm agnostic.

I do believe that there is a supreme being but I don't have any faith in any world religions or their followers.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes. How did this all start? I am not sure, but very well could be a super being long time ago that started this whole thing. However, is that being(s) anything like the Gods various religions says he is? I don't think so, he most likely doesn't know or care about this tiny planet in a tiny solar system.

We think too highly of man kind, when in reality we are totally insignificant part of the universe. I believe there are much more advanced civilizations out there in the universe who knows much more about the creatator(s) than we do.

1 person likes this.
  17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

This post speaks volumes.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed, the arrogance of a lot of people is astounding.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

intelligence=honesty?

intelligent people are common to politics, academics, government, economies and wars...but honesty:eek:

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow do you truly believe this or are you being sarcastic?
    I'm an Atheist and I do not think that Atheist as a group are more intelligent and honest.

All groups (any religion or non-religion) have intelligent and non-intelligent people and both honest and not honest people.

I have seen very closed minded Christians but just as many close minded Atheist. people should not be judged on which religion they have but on the things they do.

I hate it that people like to push people in groups and bash on them. Who cares if someone is from another country, other religion, other city of fan of another basketball team. It doesn't make them worse as a person than you.

Like I said I'm an atheist, but I do not get much grief as a result of it. Of course there seems to be a higher percentage of atheists in the Netherlands than in the US.

I think many people are just easily offended and overreact.