1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOREY's Time Frame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 23, 2011.

?

How long does Morey have before you lose faith in him?

1. Next Year - Playoffs or bust

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Next 2~3 Years - Playoffs or bust

44 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Next 4~5 Years - Playoffs or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Next 2~3 Years - 2nd round or bust

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Next 4~5 Years - 2nd round or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Next 2~3 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Next 4~5 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Other - Please Explain.

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OK! In Morey we trust.
    The question is for how long.

TMAC and his contract is gone
    Yao's contact is gone
    JVG is gone
    Adelman is gone

More than ever. . .this coming year will be MOREY'S TEAM.
    From the players to the Coaches. This is officially HIS BABY

What are his benchmarks of progress before you become untrusting.

I don't think next year is playoffs or bust.

but within the next three we need to see significant improvement
    I'm talking second round and a legit short to get to the championship.

Rocket River

2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'll give him 4-6 years to build a championship team...A couple of years of "tanking" and developing...a few playoff appearances (with one deep playoff run without getting a title) culminating in a championship in the 5th or 6th year. I think that's reasonable.

#2 Kwame, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

A legit short?

We're short enough. And Chuck is legit enough.

But 4-5 yrs, without regression in yrs 3 or 4. I expect yrs 1/2 to have bad records with good drafts, and yrs 3/4 to show major improvement back to a 50 win team. We may then win big (reaching the conference finals at least) in yr 5/6; yr 4 if we're lucky.

#3 srrm, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hunsicker all over again.

Morey is a strong POSITIVE to this team PERIOD.

The endless need to find a scapegoat ALWAYS is an extremely annoying mob mentality habit.

1 person likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

People have already lost faith/trust or are losing it now.

As for how long Morey has, right or wrong, I'll say the length of this next coach's contract(4 years?) Or maybe what Kubiak is to McNair is what Morey is to Les(unfirable!):p

6. VBG

VBG Member

Playoffs within the next two years.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was told that Adelman's thing were RESULTS oriented . . .why would Morey be exempt from that mentality?

Positive or not . . .. RESULTS OR BUST

If that is the issue with adelman . .with JVG . .should be the same with Morey.

Rocket River

8. Raven

Raven Member

No, that is the wrong way of looking at it.

It's not about making the playoffs within a set period of time, it's about acquiring a superstar within a set period of time.

And since next season will be the first without the Yao Ming distraction, I think three more seasons is fair, three more seasons to acquire a top ten player (in their prime), either through trade (highly unlikely) or free agency (equally unlikely) or draft (most likely).

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

LOL @ your poll. That's never going to yield a definitive answer.

I picked WCF in 4-5 years. Because who cares if we make the playoffs. We need to go for broke. Championship or bust. I don't care how much sucking in the interim that requires.

10. LandryMegaBeast

if morey doesnt get us a star in the next few years we need to ditch him

believe me, i am a DM fan, but hes too analytical.. always conjuring up this big pile of "assets" but not getting that much out of them. yes, the kmart deal was great, and yes he has found some gems in the draft (AB Landry bud) but im tired of being so mediocre.

LMB

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Strange choice of words, because I don't really have "faith" in him now but that doesn't mean I want him fired. I think he's done a fair job given the constraints he's working under.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Morey's goal is to bring us a championship, his words not mine, so I'll give him 5 years to bring a championship. I understand it all happens in steps but certain things can be assumed like playoffs and WCFs within a few years but even that won't be enough. The goal is a title not just 1st rd exits.

I'm honestly not in favor of Morey's plan of getting a star, just not the normal course of action. That said, I do realize the guy can make a deal, acquire talent and has an eye for talent. This is Morey's baby and now that he has chosen a direction, Championship or bust in 5 years however we get there.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know it's a result oriented business. But giving a time line for building a championship team is irrational. 80% of success is luck. No plan leads to sure success. While having a crappy GM pretty much guarantee failure, having a great GM does not guarantee championship, not even contention. Changing GM because of bad luck doesn't give you a better chance of winning.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Then how is Morey held accountable? How is he measured?

Rocket River

15. larsv8

A GM can only do so much.

Given the foundation, in a very short amount of time Morey put together a contender WITHOUT hamstringing the franchise for years to come.

It ultimately wasnt sustainable but if Yao/McGrady had the durability that other GMs (Dirk, Kobe, Garnett, Pierce, etc.) had with thier cornerstones we wouldn't be having this discussion. We would be perennial contenders and one of the best teams in the league.

It is utter utter stupidity to fire a good GM because he has had bad luck. Just like its utter stupidity to keep a bad GM who has had good luck (Otis Smith anyone?) Why dont you take a trip over to the RealGM - Orlando forums and read the Fire Otis Smith thread. Multiple times, Morey is referenced in that thread as the ideal GM.

People need to take a step back and understand what is a realistic expectation and what isn't.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Morey seems to be exempt from accountability right now. Hey if he loses his best two players AGAIN then okay but how often does it happen once let alone twice? What bad luck could strike this team that could exempt him going forward? If he doesn't bring a title in 5 years that would mean it would have been 9 YEARS since he took over without a substantial accomplishment...that's to long no matter the bad luck.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Were not Adelman and JVG victims of the same bad luck?
    Bad luck for coaches is. . . dems the breaks
    but
    Bad luck for GMs is . . .well we have to look beyond that????

Rocket River

18. Raven

Raven Member

Let's bottom line it, he's been hampered by trying to build a competitive team around T-Mac and Yao, and just as he started bringing in talent, T-Mac and Yao started breaking down. That's not his fault.

And that's what people forget, he was specifically hired to surround Yao and T-Mac with solid role players, without breaking the bank, and he gets an A+, but the injuries to Yao derailed everything.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

What are the odds there is another Lost Faith in Morey poll in the next ten minutes?

20. larsv8

Using a blanket of logic that everything must be fair across the board in all positions is ridiculous.

Following this path of thinking will do nothing but strip our organization of everything good about it and keep us terrible to mediocre forever.