1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 Centers in NBA History.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Apr 1, 2011.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I can't take too much offense from this article because he compliments Hakeem by saying he was the most well rounded center of all time and best post player of all time. He obviously has more criteria than just skill alone.

I completely agree we would not have won those titles with Shaq or Kareem or anyone else.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No he went to from High School to the ABA. Stop splitting hairs.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

In before the "so is Robert Horry better than Hakeem too?"

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

One issue with Shaq that I can't get around:

In his prime, he was the personality in a league that Magic and Larry built and Jordan exploited to great lengths. The Superstar League. The Marketing Association. As in favorable calls and no-calls. Simply, there's no doubt Shaq was officiated differently from the other great centers. He may have constantly complained about how he wasn't getting calls, but his go-to move on the block was arguably (and oftentimes literally) an offensive foul that was never called. When a defender has established position and you lead your dropstep with a shoulder to the chest of the defender (plus a little extra elbow flip) and knock him off balance or out of the lane entirely, that's a foul for everyone except Shaq.

And looking at the defensive end, it's not really close. Shaq could clog the middle, but was abysmal defending pick-and-rolls and lacked the timing to be a great shotblocker. The thing is, when he wanted to, he could do those things pretty well. He just rarely wanted to. And that should be enough to keep him firmly entrenched in the 5-6 slot of all-time centers.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wilt
    Russell
    Dream
    Shaq
    Kareem
    in that order

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its time for the Ziggy argument for all-time center rankings. Its like running back in the NFL. You cant really rank them as a whole. You have to do it by category. Longevity, statistical dominance, power, etc... was your guy a TD hawk? Did he just put up numbers because he had a long career? Was he great at pass catching?

So... for me its always been like this.

Most dominant: Shaq
    Longevity (ability to play at a high level for an extended period of time: Jabbar
    Statistical dominance: Wilt
    Best at his peak: Hakeem

etc... I could go on. I didn't want to give my list though. Just wanted to share how I like to view things.

7. AFS

AFS Member

Yo Kareem, I'm real happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but...

[​IMG]

8. FR0497

FR0497 Member

What about Shaq in your opinion makes him the most dominant?

When I think of most dominant player I think of somebody who can dominate on both sides of the court. Somebody who can single handedly dominate a game offensively AND defensively. Imo, Hakeem was much better in that aspect.

1 person likes this.
  9. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

I don't like comparing players from different eras of basketball - the game was completely different. That said, Olajuwon should win over Shaq.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

touchy subject...I love it!!!

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think what hurts hakeem in arguments like this or in best player of all time is that his peak years were too short. he was better than michael jordan in those brief peak years: he was dominant offensively and defensively. he literally dominated every center during that era.

12. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

maybe..

MJ continued to peak throughout his career. When he left the NBA with the Bulls, he was still the best player.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Hakeem dominated a period of time in which centers ruled. Ewing, Robinson, young Mournning, young Shaq, old Moses, old Kareem.

Shaq dominated a period in which there was....?....?...?...? Dikembe Mutombo?

Yes I'd take Dream over Shaq. Yes I'd take Kareem over Shaq. Probably Russell/Chaimberlin as well.

14. lalala902102001

Leaving Bill Russell off the list is ridiculous. You know what the Finals MVP award is called? It's called the Bill Russell award.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't be dissing on Kenny and Max.

You don't have to diss Clutch City to show that Dream is great.

16. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Wilt is number 1. Hakeem swept a young Shaq in the finals and is better than Shaq even did Kareem in the playoffs a young Hakeem. Bill Russell ten rings should be in top five.

17. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Hakeem was great, one of the greatest of all time. He was the most skilled post player of all time. But, if you polled 100 sportswriters/HOF voters on the best center in NBA history, Hakeem would not be #1 on most of their lists. It is what it is.

18. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

1) Kareem
    2) Wilt
    3) Hakeem
    4) Russell
    5) Shaq

19. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

you play in a watered down 10 team league and got 7 other hall of famers alongside you why wouldn't you have 10 or 11 rings? lol

1 person likes this.
  20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

1. Dream
    2. Dream
    3. Dream
    4. Hakeem
    5. Akeem's left hand (the one that blocks and rebounds)
    5. Akeem's rigt hand (the one that threw 90 foot passes and finished the Dream shake)
    6. Hakeem's right foot (used to fake)
    7. Hakeem's left foot (used to dunk)
    8. Hakeem's pinky
    9. Hakeem's other pinky
    10. Hakeem's toes