1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 Centers in NBA History.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Apr 1, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

A small article listing what this guy believes are the 5 best centers of all time. I can't say I agree with him.

Link

In all walks of life there are giants among us: those who figuratively, and at times literally, stand apart from their peers. The NBA is no exception. It is graced by behemoths of both stature and accomplishments and none are larger than the centers. Playing arguably the most important position in basketball, centers serve as efficient scorers and patrol the paint, making it nearly impossible for opponents to convert.

Historically, having a great center on your team has meant title contention and pairing him with a talented perimeter player is the main ingredient of a dish called dynasty.

Below you will find my list of the top 5 centers in NBA history based on their per minute production on offense and defense as well as their ability to lead their team to championships. The list prioritizes overall career value over peak value and takes into account both regular and playoffs efforts.

5. Moses Malone

Before Kevin Garnett(notes), Kobe Bryant(notes) and LeBron James(notes) made the successful leap from high school to the NBA, there was Moses Malone. At 6'10'', Malone led the league in rebounding from 1980 to 1985 and is third all time in total rebounds. Particularly, Malone is arguably the best offensive rebounder in league history, possessing the perfect combination of power, length and instincts. Although Malone never won a scoring title, he averaged over 20 points per game for his career and eclipsed the 30 points per game mark in one of his 3 MVP seasons, 1981-82.

Malone was one of the best post players of his generation and had the ability to drive around slower defenders like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Malone led the 1983 Philadelphia 76ers to an NBA Championship and was selected as one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history.

4. Hakeem Olajuwon

He possessed the speed, agility and offensive skill-set of a guard as well as much size and power as big man. Add that to the fact that he was the greatest shot blocker in league history and you have the perfect basketball player.

The Dream.

In his prime, Olajuwon may have been the most well-balanced center in the history of basketball. As far as particular skills go, Kobe Bryant, who Hakeem has trained, considers Olajuwon the best post player ever.

But, we don't need Kobe to tell us that.

If you ever watched him against David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning(notes) or Shaquille O'neal(notes) in the mid-90s, you will remember that in a league dominated by spectacular big men, Olajuwon bested them all. With a flurry of dream shakes, fadeways and spin moves, his eminence was undisputed .

He was a two-time NBA champion, 12 time All Star, league MVP and ended his career in the top 10 all time lists in scoring, rebounding, steals and blocks.

3. Shaquille O'neal

Throw the ball within 6 feet of the basket and two points would appear on the scoreboard.

If you've played a lot of basketball, you can easily imagine how Shaq dominated the NBA. Remember when you played your little brother, who actually wanted to beat you but you posted him up eight times in a row to punish the little runt for his pee-wee body?

That's what Shaq did to NBA centers.

In the paint, Shaq was an adult playing with athletically gifted children. And so, the point of defenses was to keep the ball out of his hands at all costs. Entire front courts swarmed him because he made the basket the size of his wingspan for his team. All you had to do was get him the pass in the paint and no one would stop him.

From the moment he exploded onto the scene in 1992, Shaq seemed destined for that type of dominance. Coming into the NBA at 7'1'' and 325 lbs and gaining weight later in his career, he is undoubtedly the most most imposing figure in the history of sports.

There are simply not enough accolades to the Big Aristotle justice. Shaq is a 4 time champion, MVP, Rookie of the Year and a 15 time All Star. He's 5th all time in scoring and 7th in blocks. In fact, because of his gargantuan presence, he can still add value in to his team today, as he is the oldest active player in the league.

2. Wilt Chamberlain

Unlike any player ever, the moment stepped on an NBA court, he was far and away the best player in the league. When Kareem entered the NBA, it was Jerry West. When Magic and Bird joined, it was Kareem. When Jordan arrived, it was Magic and Bird. When LeBron showed up, it was KG and Duncan.

For years, Bill Russell was considered the best player in the world. Then, overnight, he became a distant second to Chamberlain. In head to head match-ups, Bill Russell, who may be the greatest winner in the history of sports, one of the best defenders and an honorable mention on this list, had no answer for the Big Dipper and could easily suffer a 40 point 25 rebound shellacking at the hands of Wilt.

Wilt Chamberlain averaged 37 points and 27 rebounds as a rookie. He then averaged 50.4 points per game an entire season.

If you don't get the picture after reading that, how about the fact that he holds the record for most NBA records.

He boasts every major scoring and rebounding record except most points all time. He scored 100 points in a game, won seven scoring, nine efficiency and eleven rebounding titles and when charged with being a selfish player, what did Wilt Chamberlain do?

He led the league in assists.

He was a two-time champion and four time MVP. Although his resume is behind Kareem's in terms of career output, in his prime, Wilt Chamberlain schools everyone on this list.

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is not just the best center ever in the NBA, he is the most accomplished athlete in the history of professional sports.

Born Lew Alcindor, Kareem's greatness was apparent from his college days. He played three seasons with UCLA and won three NCAA championships. In those days Kareem was so dominant that the slam dunk was banned from collegiate basketball for ten years because of how flagrantly he embarrassed opponents with it.

Early in his NBA career, we was paired with Oscar Robertson on the Milwaukee Bucks to win his first of six MVP awards and first of six NBA Championships.

That's right, 6 MVPs and 6 rings.

Five of those championships were shared Magic Johnson as a member of the showtime Los Angeles Lakers. He also played integral roles for two of the greatest teams ever assembled, the 1970-71 Bucks and the 1986-87 Lakers.

Kareem scored more points than any other player in history and might have been first all time in blocks if the statistic had been recorded during his whole career.

He was a two-time collegiate player of the year, NBA rookie of the year and two-time Finals MVP.

Still, perhaps his greatest accomplishment was the sky-hook, the most unstoppable shot known to date. It should come to know surprise that a man heralded for his meticulous attention and extreme intelligence would devise the one shot in NBA history that was unguardable. He could shoot it with both hands and robotic accuracy from as much as 15 feet from the basket.

And unlike Wilt or Shaq, if you fouled him, Kareem would make you pay.

There was no defense.
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did as much in basketball as any individual can do in a team sport.

WTF?! Shaq ahead of Hakeem? Hakeem dominated him. Yes Shaq has more titles, but he also had Kobe, one of the top players of all time. Also, I'm not sure where I'd put him, but it's hard to leave Bill Russell off the list.

Pugs

2. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Tough one.... shaq has the hardwar, but even he would hesitate to say he was better than Hakeem.......tough stuff

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this might be the first time I've seen someone do a top 5 that didn't include Bill Russell.

Looks like he ranked them strictly on career points scored (except Moses scored 500 more points that Hakeem).

Kareem #1 is just stupid.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Moses Malone did not go from high school to the NBA, and Kareem should not be #1. I would go with Shaq; too powerful to overcome in his prime. Though I say this having never seen Chamberlain, Kareem and others play.

5. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

Carl Herrera: Where's Yao Ming?

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think a lot of people base their opinions of Kareem off of what he was like in the 80s when he couldn't run, jump or rebound. That's not the player he was his whole career, dude was a dominant force in his prime. He wouldn't make my #1, but I can't really fault someone else for putting him there, the combination of his dominant peak and longevity definitely gives him an argument.

7. Halfback10

Halfback10 Rookie

BULL**** list! HAKEEM is #1 best center ALL-TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. heypartner

How do you miss the playoffs twice in a row in your "dominant peak" as the best center of all time? He also had two one and outs and he got SWEPT by Bill Walton in another.

We're talking about the "best center of all time." in his "DOMINANT PEAK"... 2 years not making the playoffs and 2 years not getting out of 1st round, and once getting swept by Walton. Then losing 4-1 to Seattle/Sikma. That's 6 years in the 70's.

If it weren't for Magic Johnson, he probably would have only won one ring (in his 2nd year). Even after their 1st win together, he got beat by MOSES MALONE and the Rockets in the 1st round. Jabbar was being highly criticized in the late 70s for being unable to win since his title with Oscar.

Did you ever see the movie Airplane? Joey's comment to Jabbar about what his dad thinks of him was actually spot on at that time.

#8 heypartner, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd put Shaq ahead of Hakeem as far as BEST centers. As in what he accomplished.

But most skilled Centers? Hakeem hands down. No other Center on the list could do the things he did.

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

stop the homerisml, give credit when it's due, shaq is more dominant than hakeem that's the truth, though hakeem was more skilled, i admit....

from a fans' perspective, i think the ranks are pretty fair.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't think this is really worth arguing since I've already said that Kareem wouldn't be my #1, but whatever, I'll respond.

KAJ was the best player on the Bucks through his first five years on the team, in which his team averaged 61 wins a season, made two trips to the Finals, and won a championship. When his team's W/L record declined, I don't believe that it's because Kareem got worse, I think it had a lot more to do with his supporting cast.

I'm not a big fan of basing player's legacies solely on team performance. I think that tends to get oversimplistic, there are too many variables to consider. People criticized Jordan when he kept losing to the Pistons in the playoffs in the late 80s, but it doesn't change the fact that he was the best player in that time frame.

In the case of Kareem, he won a title in his second year as the best player on the the team. He proved early on that he was a player you would win a title with. His longevity was unmatched. You don't seem to think he was a dominant player in his prime, but I do. It just says we evaluate players differently, which is fine. Not a big deal. Already said Kareem wouldn't be #1 on my list. I still think he's an all-time great and has more than a solid case for the best at his position ever.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think if you replaced Hakeem with any of those centers the Rockets do not win two championships. One at most.

However, if you replace any other center with Hakeem during their own championship years...they still win and possibly in even more dominant fashion.

#12 DCkid, Apr 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Oh really? On both ends of the floor, or are you just talking about one end of the floor?

Also, was Shaq more dominant in crunch time when all you had to do was foul him and know you're losing only one point at most?

I think your "truth" is wrong. The only truth is Shaq won championships playing with MVP candidates in their prime. Hakeem won championships with mainly role players (and a declining Clyde Drexler).

1 person likes this.
  14. heypartner

yeah, i agree, just not so much when were are talking about the most dominant center in his peak. Centers are different. dominant centers don't miss the playoffs two years in a row and get beat in the playoffs by their peer centers, like Walton (swept) and Sikma (1-4) and Moses (1st round loss with Magic).

Plus, Jordan was not criticized for losing to the Pistons in the conf finals. Where does that come from. Jordan didn't miss the playoffs or get swept by a peer shooting guard.

Jabbar was getting wide-spread criticism for getting 5 MVPs in the 70s, yet not advancing in the playoffs...like Nowitzki does, and not even making it twice.

#14 heypartner, Apr 1, 2011
  15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Measure by the rings:

[​IMG]

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Where is Sikma? If being center is about being dominant. Than Sikma have to be there and about.

Personally I would have a top 5 in no particular order. Kareem, Hakeem, Bill, Sikma and Shaq.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

AHhhhhhh!

*kicks article to death, prison style*

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I just think it's funny that in Hakeem's section he mentions how he bests shaq... but he rates shaq higher. You can't go wrong with either one but if you're looking at both sides of the ball it's hard not to go with dream.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Hakeem > the other four all day...

20. drunkdesi

drunkdesi Member

Top 5 Centers of all time...

5 - Kareem
    4 - Russell
    3 - Wilt
    2 - Shaq
    1 - Dream

Only because - no center in NBA history has done more with less... All those other centers were surrounded by other hall of fame players...Dream...not so much. Come on...his guards for the 1st championship were Kenny (freaking) Smith, and MadMaxx?!?!?:rolleyes: