1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rose's case for MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think he's a top 6-7 player in this L. i was the guy who was pumping up this guy before the season started as THE player to watch out for b/c he would be taking that superstar jump. i made a thread about it. so i'm definitely not a rose hater. i love watching him play.

i just feel like the MVP has to play a lot better than he has. this would be his SECOND game that he's shooting over 50% since the all-star break. SECOND. imagine that. he's been shooting less than 40% since the all-star break.

look, i cannot give the MVP to a player who regresses after the all-star break.

the reason the bulls are still winning with rose shooting a sub .400 fg is b/c of their suffocating defense. the one game they lost during that winning streak? their defense was subpar vs indiana. rose had 42 pts in that game too.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Give it up Tmac_1, Rose takes the award easy this year

Don't be bitter than Lebron doesn't win it

4. t_mac1

lebron was out of the MVP voting for his bad one week stretch (during clutch situations).

also, do you even watch the bulls' second unit consistently? they have arguably the best second unit in the L. and their 2nd unit's defense is championship-caliber.

i would give it to dwight or dirk as the MVP.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No you wouldn't, Dirk has been in and out of the line up, Dwight, while a great candidate, his team is no longer part of the elite teams in the East.

Rose is a shoe in for this award, I don't know why you just can't give it a rest

6. t_mac1

the games dirk missed? dallas couldn't win jack, even when they had caron butler. dallas was the best team in the L before dirk went down. if we're going by the definition of how "valuable" a player is, dallas couldn't even beat the toronto raptors at home without dirk. now that's major suckage.

the MVPs have been given out to players whose teams are not major contenders before if they have an exceptional season. dwight has had the best season this year out of any player personally for me on both ends of the court.

rose is a shoe-in for the award in the media, doesn't mean we can't analyze why he shouldn't be MVP. he's not even a top 5 player in the L this year despite all the hype.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's a two way between Dwight and Rose. If Orlando is top 2 in the East, Dwight takes it easy, but they aren't. So you go with the best player on the best team. It's easy as that. This is how MVP's are given, and it has been this way for years.

8. t_mac1

so shouldn't manu get it? his team is by far and away the best in the L. and he's their best player.

but individual statistics don't favor manu, just like they don't favor rose.

NONE of the individual stats favor rose over several other players. NONE.

if you want to bring up wins and losses, give it to manu ginobili.

9. clippy

clippy Member

I think it should go to Dirk or Rose, depending on which team has the better record at the end of the year. Those guys + Howard are the only unanimous best players on top teams, and the Magic are too far out of contention to make Howard relevant in this discussion.

10. clippy

clippy Member

You can't give it to Ginobili for the same reason you can't give it to LeBron.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you seriously arguing Manu has more impact to the Spurs than Rose on the Bulls?

Rose is top 2, if not the No.1 PG in the league on the best team in the conference.

Manu is a borderline all star, and is way behind Kobe and Wade, in terms of shooting guard ranking.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

You don't go and give the MVP to Arian Foster, you give to Tom Brady (14-2) or the Fifa player of the year award, you don't give it to Diego Forlan (Athletico Madrid), you give to Messi (FC Barca Uefa Champs). If Dwight deserves the MVP the Magic should be top 2 in the NBA or at least in the east... Dirk has been a monster this year, no doubt, but he's been in and out of the lineup, it's like giving Michael Vick the MVP.

If there was a player playing better then Derrick Rose this year then fine give it to that player, but there isn't a player in the NBA that has played better then Rose. Top 5, top 20, efficient, inefficient... I'm not just talking out of my ass here I've watched Bull's game closely this year, not just the ones on national TV.

13. noize

noize Contributing Member

Tmac_1 is getting butt hurt every single time Rose play. Give it up bro, Lebron won't win the MVP this year and I'm afraid you're the minority here.

14. t_mac1

so you're fine with your MVP shooting 44% (for a guy who goes to a rack more than lebron), one of the most inefficient perimeter players in the L for a guy who has the ball that much, and not a huge impact player defensively?

so rose will be the 2nd worst MVP of my generation right after steve nash and just above allen iverson.

if lebron did not have that bad stretch, i would agree with you. but his bad stretch took him out completely. you can't have your MVPs struggle to close out games for consecutive games. that's unacceptable.

15. Obito

If you want to put Derrick Rose on a list with Steve Nash and Iverson that's fine lol those are two of the best players to ever play the game or would you like to argue that also?

16. clippy

clippy Member

I think the point is that Rose must be doing something right because he has taken a team without elite talent to the 2nd best record in the NBA despite a bunch of injuries to key players. This is sort of like Nash for his two MVPs-- yeah, he probably wasn't the best player in the league (that will be LeBron for many years), but he's the MVP. It's a weird award because it is a function of the team and player.

17. t_mac1

tom brady and messi are arguably the best in their entire leagues. THE BEST. i have not heard even bulls fans mention rose as top 5 in the L.

when THE BEST PLAYER wins those awards, no one is going to complain b/c they are THE BEST.

18. t_mac1

it's called defense and rebounding. when a team dominates in those 2 categories, they win. ANY team.

the reason nash was given the MVP b/c his impact on the sun's offense was SO HUGE. the +/- for him that year was ridiculous. his impact on defense was another story.

however, the bulls' main reasons for their success are defense and rebounding. rose doesn't dominate those categories for the bulls

19. t_mac1

here's another good stat for the rose lovers:

in wins: 24.5ppg, 4.5rpg, 8apg on 44%fg
    in losses: 25.6ppg, 3.3rpg, 7.2apg on 43% fg

basically IDENTICAL stats in wins or losses. so rose is pretty consistent in what he does.

now let's extrapolate that to this month where the bulls have gone 9-2:

24.6ppg, 3.4rpg, 5.8apg 40%fg, 27% 3s.

so the bulls are having their BEST month with their best player shooting the worst he has ever had this year and dishing out the least # of assists. that just doesn't correlate.

your best player having his worst month, and your team having its best month. so....................i'd say it's defense and rebounding.

20. Obito

All this and yet you fail to mention their head to head record and how Rose has done in those games. You say Dirk and you say Dwight but when Rose has played against those players he's 4-1 and his stats have been stellar, i've mentioned them in the Bulls vs Miami game thread. He's lead his team to victory 3 times against your boy Lebron too, 3-0.

That stat speaks louder then any PEr, +/- that you can give me.