1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to get rid of Scola before his body expires?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Once upon a time, the Rockets had a big international star, who rarely sat out any games even though he played for both the Rockets and his national team. After a few years, the Rockets signed him to the big non-rookie-scale contract. Shortly thereafter, his body began to experience injuries. Now, some people offer the sage advice that the Rockets should have traded him when they saw the first signs of trouble.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6012297&postcount=143

Now, the Rockets have another international star, who has rarely sat out any games even though he has played for both the Rockets and his national team. The Rockets just signed him to a big non-rookie-scale contract this past offseason. Recently, his body began to experience injuries and he had to sit out for the first time in his career. Is it now wise for the Rockets to trade him now after seein the first signs of trouble.

Besides the fact that they are both international players with the Rockets who play international games, both players are also in high risk groups (i.e. 7'6'' for one, 30+ years-old for another, more injuries for these groups than for people who are not in them).

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2M9KMGmTC4A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2M9KMGmTC4A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="349"></embed></object>

3. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Scola is a trojan horse. You will be mrs. Carl Herrera after Scola bends you over.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think the Rockets do need to trade Scola.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Agree with you Carl,

Plus the fact that the Rockets have started on the youth movement so no sense in stopping the train.

T_Man

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, please. I'm going to assume that this is meant to be a humorous thread and leave it at that.

7. joesr

joesr Member

I've been on this bandwagon after Pattersens 3rd game.

Ask any I work with and my biggest thing was trading Scola for a young and pick to a competitor. too Late

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

That will be written on Moreys tombstone when he is fired fro the Rockets.

"Should have made trades when our players had high value"

or

"Waited too long" signed TMac, Yao, Brooks, and Scola

9. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

If that's the case might as well blow it up. Kmart is very injury prone. Get rid of all the old guys. I see no point in just getting rid of one.

keep scola or gtfo:p

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, when Scola's VALUE was at it's highest after the FIBA tourney, I started a thread about "selling high" with him....It was met with much derision. You posted in it I believe. I still feel he needs to go in the RIGHT deal.....to a contender perhaps.. Luis is a winner and what sports is all about, but we need to rebuild more than reload IMO. It has nothing to do with his present health issues.

Yao was a different story because he had the foot injuries....and we all know about the history of bigmen with these type of problems. Of course this wasn't going to happen due to the money he brings as well as the face of the franchise thing. We talked about this also....4 -5 years ago or so....I just wanted to manage the downside risk and bring in a large haul.

So whether this thread is tongue in cheek or serious.....yes, I think we need to move on and let Morey put together HIS team.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't want Scola to go but we need to rebuild and get younger. Play Pat Pat and send Scola out so he has a chance to play for a title.

12. dartherus

dartherus Member

Compared a 7'6" (name 1 single player above 7'3" who was not inury prone) player to a 6'9" pretty solid body with no history of injuries, just because got injured for the FIRST TIME in his NBA career, and you're ringing an alarm?

Do you realize that even the young players in the Rockets or in other rosters, has had more injuries than Scola in their young career?

13. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

something tells me hill will start instead of patsquatch.............

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

LOL, it's like I'm reading the very post I was just about to write.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Scola is 30 and a knee injury at that age isn't a great sign. Remember KG had his knee sprain and he hasn't looked the same since. However Scola plays WAY below the rim so maybe it won't be much of an issue.

16. Fefo

Fefo Member

This thread is just stupid. Only way i would trade luis is if we feel we wont have any chance to compete for a championship in the next 3 years and we want him to have that oportunity before hes career is over.
    That being said, usually contenders dont have a lot to give, and their picks are usually near 20-25 range, so we probably could not get a lot.

17. Raven

Raven Member

It's common knowledge that the Rockets are open to trading anyone on the roster if the price is right, so it's not like Scola is untouchable. I like Luis, but the Rockets are rebuilding, and he's not getting any younger.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Please note that we lost the last 2 games without Scola.

19. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Let's trade our best player because he missed the last 2 games and we have looked stellar without him...

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I think Carl is just being satirical right now... to those that are saying that they agree with him about trading scola