1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The (gay) March to Mecca

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 18, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

whew...

interesting take, tiger, on the Abrahamic faiths not being "religions of peace." i need to think about that more. my faith has certainly meant peace to me.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Actually it makes you a homophone - which actually is pretty cool because nights and weekends are free.

3. MadMax

i haven't played the homphone in years. i was first chair in jr. high, though

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I kind of figured it was a joke. Some of the quotes in the article just seemed too over the top even for the likes of Sharon Stone.

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Sam Fisher has already answered this well but to add my 2 cents this is assumes that a behavior can be legislated out of existence.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

LOL! I think some posters might not have read the article, and are merely reacting to the thread title.

Ehsan,

There are plenty of Muslims who are gay...I am not sure if you're arguing that they simple don't exist. It may not be as common in the Muslim world, but they definitely do exist, even openly so in some Muslim-majority states.

And MadMax, I am simply objecting to the overly simplistic "religion of peace" label, not saying that the Abrahamic faiths are 'violent', that too is inaccurate.

7. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

For absolutely sure.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This gives entirely new meaning to the modest insult bandied around Spring Branch Junior High in the late sixties: Band Queer. :eek:

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Let's take this seriously for a second - let's say gay rights leaders decided to march in Saudi Arabia. Now you call that stupid.

Yet you quote someone who did something equally "stupid" - who marched against the British and advocated civil disobedience even in the face of violence.

So why do you quote someone who you deem to be "stupid". I'm just curious how you wish to explain yourself.....maybe you should take down the quote out of your sig...since clearly you don't know much about Gandhi if you can write what you did.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hmmmm gays openly migrating to Mecca.....what could go wrong? :confused:

11. NewYorker

I think if you had a million gay march into Mecca - that would really make a difference. Yes, it would be a supreme sacrafice.....they would truly be the martyrs.

And yes, it would probably significantly hurt the fashion industry, marketing, and interior design. The city of san francisco might take a big hit.

But, the sacrafice would be huge. The massacre of a million gays would be forever remembered. Think about it. Gays dying for their way of life. Being slaughtered by zealots, I think it would serve as a wake up call not only to Muslims, but also radical Christians. Look what religion can do!

And sure, we'd have to build a bunch of gay holocaust museums and gay memorials. There would be the benefits, and the arts might never be the same.

But imagine the reverbations felt around the world.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Will anyone at Whataburger execute you for having eaten a Big Mac (the sandwich, I mean ;) ), or planning to eat one in the future?

13. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Please do not post any more pictures of Mavericks supporters.

14. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I think I was misunderstood. I clearly stated that there are gay Muslims, but the percentage is not similar all over the world. Your assumption that there are equal numbers of homosexuals everywhere and the deviation is strictly based on who is willing to admit it is pure speculation and nothing more.

Homosexuals have a long history in the Arab world actually. But slavery has a long history in America. That doesn't mean its still the same.

As for erasing a behavior, which is impossible... Obviously you will not wipe a whole behavior off the face of the earth. But the way Muslims see it, murder is a behavior trying to be wiped out and so is homosexuality. I am NOT saying these two things are similar, I'm just saying that we are trying to wipe out certain behavior from places. Just because we won't be able to stop murder in the world doesn't mean we should stop trying all together.

pouhe,

If there's a sign at Whataburger that reads "McDonald's consumers will be executed. Please stay away." then I will accept the consequences of my actions should I choose to go there.

NewYorker,

That's ridiculous. The idea is not to intrude on anyone's rights, so you intrude on the rights of Muslims to make a point about the rights of homosexuals? What does this solve exactly? Do I not have a right to raise my kids in a country that forbids what my religion and the religion of my country forbids? You are saying that whether I like it or not I have to be ok with homosexuality? Is it ok for me to come to America and put up posters that say "Jesus was not ressurrected" because that's what I think and there's nothing that can prove me wrong (just an example, no offense)?

Islam can't be changed. Nothing has changed in Islam since the day it was created. One of the defining qualities of the Qura'an is that it doesn't change with the times. If you want Islam to be ok with homosexuality, it WON'T, and you are basically proposing wiping the religion off the face of the earth? Are you proposing killing all those who believe in everything Islam says?

15. NewYorker

So if Christianity says that colored people are lesser folks - that's ok????

Sorry, if Islam says homosexuality is wrong, then there IS something wrong with Islam, and no, Islam is not a religion of peace then.

Peace means tolerance and acceptance. If Islam can not tolerate or accept homosexuals, then let's call Islam what it really is.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Best of luck in the struggle against homosexuality then. Maybe like slavery it too will be wiped out.

*snicker*

17. MadMax

for the record...just to clear things up....it doesn't say that. thank you. ;)

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

No one is saying you have to be okay with homosexuality. But you do have to accept that it exists and will never be eradicated from society.

And yes! That is what makes America America. You can come here and put up posters that says christ was not resurrected. People may ridicule you, but you do have that right (and most likely you won't be killed). If I want to march to mecca for my beliefs you should accept that I have the right to do so. You may not agree with me but in free societies one should have that right.

19. MadMax

what??? no one has ever disagreed with me about Jesus here!!!!! ;) :D

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

1. liars
    2. blasphemers
    3. thieves
    4. adulterers
    5. murderers
    6. gossipers
    7. idolators