1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Pope a racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2006.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Isn't the Islamic reaction proving the Pope's point?

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Actually, they're available and bought in 'excessive' numbers in some of those 'third world' nations...

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

That "push" poll was loaded to bring about the "yes" answer you seek. It's not working though...

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I actually voted no....once again, your presumptions are wrong.

I love how bitter some of yall are....really hold a grudge huh? Batmon Jones, Jo Mama, The Chinese mafia, Villerili, and you....I wasn't even trying to get your goat....you just gave it to me.

Funny, how not a single conservative on this BBS has issues with me, despite how critical I am of conservatives. I guess the left is just more sensitive.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they why aren't the insurgents broadcasting their tapes in HD?
    :rolleyes:
    i kid i kid!

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

If they resort to violence - then yes. Personally, I think Islam is a relgion of violence. I mean, look at what's going on...

Wherever Islam exists amongst a hetergenious population (in religious terms), there is violence. I don't think the Pope has said anything wrong, he's just called a spade a spade...

If Muslims want to disagree, maybe they should ask themselves how did Islam spread?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to hell with religion!
    the advancement of technology is key to the survival of the human race.

what if we get invaded by aliens or some giant meteor is going to hit us?

what the phophet or jesus would come and throw hadokens at them and save the world? nope!

we need to figure out how to solve scenarios like that. we need to find more resources to help survive.

we need to find way to seek out new worlds
    and civilizations
    to boldly go where no man has gone before!

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Is there a day that goes by when these extremists don't get enraged over something?

This isn't even a muslim thing because most of the muslims I know don't care about this issue. Like Azadre said, I certainly wouldn't care if the leader of another religion said something negative about mine. That being said, I don't see how what the pope said would qualify as racist. (I also like Batman Jones proving how considerate he is of viewpoints not simliar to his own).

To me this is all about (to steal a quote I read somewhere else) the politics of perpetual outrage. If you're an extremist and you want to convince normally level-headed people to adopt your warped view that ends with them willing to kill themselves for your cause, you have to make them believe EVERYONE is against them. You turn ANYTHING into an attack on your religion. Eventually, some people believe you and you have more recruits.

At least that's how I read the situation from the other side. Then again, I could be way off base.

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Those comments should not be coming from the Pope. There are millions of people who go by the man’s every word, preaching hate is never right, especially in the world we live in today. I agree that they are not ‘racist’ comments; rather ignorant ones.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

That's a good analysis, and that's exactly what Bin Laden and other extremists are hell bent on doing: convincing the average Muslim living anywhere in the world that there is a 'crusade' against Islam, not just a few isolated situations in Iraq and Afghanistan; in essence, 'uniting' Muslims under his banner of 'resisting' this real or imaginery 'crusade' against Muslims/Islam. What's the ideal way of doing so? Provoke the enemy into proving you right...

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Does anybody have the complete speech? I want to know in what context he said it.

So far it doesn't look good for the pope(atleast for my opinion of the pope, not that he would care what i think:D).

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They haven't decided over Blu-ray or HDDVD. Those tech savvy cave dwelling terrorists....

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Full translated speech here:
    http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=94748

Here's an interesting part:
    End statement:

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed.

I don't think the Pope's point that Islam is a religion of violence. However, the reaction is the story here. These people are backwards and getting worse.

Quote from a Muslim leader:
    ...deputy leader of the ruling party said Benedict had "a dark mentality that comes from the darkness of the middle ages". Salih Kapusuz added: "He is going down in history in the same category as leaders such as Hitler and Mussolini."

LOL, hilarious. These Muslim leaders live and teach like they are in the middle ages. And comparing the Pope to Hitler and Mussolini is probably MORE offensive than what has been said.I guess I better get some Catholics to go protest in the streets and start burning stuff.

#74 Mr. Clutch, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Source for your point that Raztenberg ignores the Second Vatican Council?

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Thanks hooroo.

OK I think this was not a smart move of the pope. This is sort of an attack on the islam. I think some of the islamic leaders who made comments on this subject are overreacting, however I believe the pope should not have said this.

In a time were a lot of people think there could be a war between religions(and some people think there already is a war between religions), it is stupid of the leader of one of the religions to make such an statement.

Altough IMHO the pope has said a lot of strange things(the whole Aids thing) so i'm not a big fan of him.

Why can't people just respect the different culture and lifestyle that others have. I mean come on, if the people are not hurting you let them just life their life like they want.

The way i see human kind is not getting more positive :( .

PS: i do not know George Allen, and i do not know what he said, so i cannot answer the original question in the poll.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Exactly so....and you deserve your base hit.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He quoted something from centuries before, a conversation no doubt......How is that racist exactly?

It is a competing religion with his, this is assinine, the extremist Muslim world is just looking for anything to protest about....never say anything negative about them (even if it is all true) they will all get up in arms and roam around whining about it.

Get real.....this is a non-issue, and it makes the rest of the world roll their eyes and laugh at the silly protestors.

What a JOKE !!

DD

PS. There is no way to vote in the poll as to an answer that fits the category....NO, what he said was accurate.

#78 DaDakota, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No? The Islamic reaction (by those who care) is one of protest. Is protesting inhumane or evil?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not at all, unless it turns violent ala the Danish Cartoon protests.

DD