1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asians vs Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 6, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Affirmative action may go down nationally based on this lawsuit. I personally am not anti affirmative action. That being said we all know Asians outperform all races in academics and being a minority group they really present a problem for how affirmative action functions.

I think if this lawsuit wins that you base affirmative action on economics and get the admission results universities want.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/15/us/harvard-affirmative-action-asian-americans.html

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we'll see what happens once Trump and his corrupt cronies are tossed out in Nov.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How many people does Affirmative action effect because from my understanding of how it works it only applies to applications with almost the exact same academic record and extracurriculars where the deciding factor might be a underrepresented race.

Think of tie breaker scenerios in seeding in the NBA. Affirmative action using the NBA analogy would be like going down to the 7th tie breaker scenrios after all the first 6 are dead even.

How many people does that effect?

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Speaking of Yale, do you think this Rastafarian triple crown weave queen Sheila Jackson Lee attended Yale without some form of affirmative action? She is dumber than a piece of rock and has been an embarrassment for the city of Houston for many years now.

#5 generalthade_03, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    B@ffled and Astrodome like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that universities word their admission policy with an emphasis on economic standing. They want racial diversity and they get there via economic diversity.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Confirmed....
    I am certainly a product of affirmative action. I always tell people that affirmative action may get you in the door, but it does not get you out of the door successfully. I welcome the fact that at Yale I was affirmative action as it relates to being a woman and an African American. Very few African Americans were admitted to Yale at that time.

Nook and generalthade_03 like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

These are not real Asians. These people have adapted the White Grievance Mentality and are now no longer welcome at the weekly Asians Zoom webinars.

9. adoo

adoo Member

but not as dumb as 03, who is dumb enough to parrot the convenient lie that

"even Californians hate her (Kamala Harris, the winner of 3 state-wide elections)"​

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, a lot of people that complain about it think that students can be broken down in numbers.

Student A scored higher than Student B on testing so that means Student A deserves to get in over Student B.

But Yale, Harvard, etc, do not look at it this way. They take in basically EVERYTHING they can about a prospective student. Not just their test scores. Especially a school like Yale.

Students are more than their test scores.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

WOW. I'm just waiting for a picture of you with a Tiki Torch or in a Klan Hood.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

She is smart enough to graduate from Yale (AA is not going to do the work for you.) and take advantage of that opportunity. Embarrassment? The Right just hates her because they can't beat her in an Election.

FranchiseBlade and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm okay with Affirmative Action for economic disparities, but I don't buy the numbers shell game.

The process in many colleges have elements that are arbitrary and it took several rounds of litigation to slowly unveil.

Part of it is to cover for the donor class but I guess it's too contentious to make fully transparent.

College Entrance is a crucial factor to the quality of life for many Americans. I wonder if the system is best answer for that critical bottleneck.

...Almost forgot about the Lori Laughlin cheating scandal. Poor yuppies getting outhustled by immigrant yuppies and Asian Americans with tiger parents.

If you can't beat'em, bribe'em.

15. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Keep on being a stooge for WinnieTheFlu, no need for your pea brain in American politics. Just because you live in your leftcoast California, it doesn’t mean you know jack squat about your girl Kamala. Tell me again why did she drop out of the primaries?
    You sound like one of those 50cent little pink soldiers that Winnie employs. Talk a big game but when face with some minor skirmishes like with the Punjabi troops, you tucked tails between your shriveled up little testicles and ran like a little Pangolin. I already had one little pink soldier removed from this place, care to be the second one?

dachuda86 likes this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

End racism! Equal opportunity please.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He is lying. He lives in China. Dude is a Wu Mao.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yale's private, so it's different, bit I know about some public systems such as UC.
    As Asian-Americans are discriminated against by affirmative action, they are replaced by Asian-Asians, who pay out-of-state tuition. Voila! Money.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So if a private restaurant has two customers... a black and white one... it is ok to have a whites first policy? Because it is private?

What if I prioritize seating this way on a private bus line?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is discriminatory for a college to elevate a group of people who have faced challenges in their lives because of the systematic racism they have faced. A school should be able to promote a group who had to overcome a single parent or growing up without the same access to tools such as test prep courses, tutors, and technology - or had to work a job or had parents who were not able to promote their education.

You can make the case that someone who comes from a disadvantage background and has similar qualifications to someone who has come from a privileged background is the superior student as the possess qualities to show they will not only bring to the university experience but also in achieving success.

Jayzers_100 likes this.