1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 8/4/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 3, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey admits he is getting old.

#1201 daywalker02, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Very typical Rockets, losing to a sub-.500 team after two nice wins. Been the same all year.

I just wish the two wins didn't seem so flimsy. Needing furious last minute comebacks and some unlikely bounces for the first. I miss blowing teams out, when is the last time that happened? They are going to need to shoot better from 3 for playoff success.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Getting ountrebounded by 25 in loss to Blazers is ________?

Nick Wright: Budgeted in. Such a silly story. They expect to be out-rebounded. You can't have everything life. They want as much shooting as possible & be one of the best offenses. Downside is you'll be out-rebounded. That this continues to be a story, they know it, they're OK with it. They expect it & are fine with it.

Antoine Walker: Trouble. You can't get past LA without being able to rebound. 19 threes last night, they still lost. Achilles hill for them. Too many big teams in the West. They're gonna get killed inside. Fun strategy but they won't be able to advance deep in the playoffs.

Kevin Wildes: On par.

Aruba77, D-rock and B-Bob like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and avoid shooting 35-footers 5 seconds into shotclock as well as dribbling off of his feet...

B-Bob likes this.
  5. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Its funny, whenever the Rockets used to frustrate me in previous years, the complaints were numerous, yet now it seems like I exclaim 2 things:

"Oh my God, hit your open shot!"
    -or-
    "C'mon get the f***ing rebound!"

Yup, that's about 99% of the negative reactions in the game now, lol. I tell ya what... small ball will get us a lot of wins, but what it won't get us are blowout wins. We could get blown out, but most likely it'll be a close game, where a couple of turnovers or a couple of missed shots could be the entire difference.

Russ can't shoot less than 50% from the FT line, and Covington and Tucker cant be sht from 3. I'm okay with this experiment in this weird 2020 world we're in, but man did the Rockets spoil us a couple of years ago with 65 wins, tons of blowouts, and minimal consistent frustrations. I do like the effort on this current squad, but it seems like it only "really" comes out in crunch time, and I'd live to see them being ramped up for an entire game.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

some people beg to differ citing the stats that in the bubble virtual home teams win 2/3 of the time

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yesterday it was fifty-fifty.

Blazers, Pacers, Heat won their HC games.

Bucks, Kings and Clippers lost their virtual home game.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Covid Melo is deadly.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm actually proud of the team's effort. Sucks to not get the win but they battled hard, particularly the bench when both Harden and Russ were sitting. We played well defensively and that's all I care about. Our offense will normally not be a problem.

hakeem94, D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tired legs = 3pt bricks.

DD

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

My favorite plays of this game:

1. McLemore boxing out to get us a D rebound.
    2. McLemore boxing out to get us *another* D rebound.
    3. McLemore blocking a shot!
    4. McLemore pinned down under the basket by Melo, fights like hell to make it hard for Melo to take down the rebound, and Rivers flies in to grab the loose ball before Melo can corral it.

This is how to survive small ball. We have to outwork our opponents. The small guys have to use their speed and hustle to overwhelm the big guys. It can be done.

12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bro, no fans to boo the refs. They can do whatever they want going forward. I

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No offense.

If the guy named Mclemore who is paid 2 million a year has to bail you out.....

Same thing about Jeff and House.

Those players are underappreciated by contract status.

PJ and Covington who are paid well, do not have the chops offensively when it counts.

The financial imbalance is staggering.

#1213 daywalker02, Aug 5, 2020
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Yes. In my gut I thought we would lose this game for a variety of reasons....... we had just won two very close games against two very tough opponents and the law of averages would catch up to us. In addition we just beat the best team in the league and the Blazers are in reality a solid team that had a terrible pre-pandemic season that they can try to salvage....... at the end of the day I went with my gut and this pandemic has put the entire league and it's players in a new situation and everyone is still adjusting.

I did not see the Clippers losing to the Suns though.

D-rock, Will, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

same. I mentioned this at the very start of the thread, that this was going to be a tough one. I'm not upset at the loss at all. they're not going to win them all. people that understand situational spots would get it

Nook likes this.
  16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yep exactly. You know how it goes on here though, no matter what, after a loss here comes all the talk about how bad we are and all of the flaws we have. We win two good games coming back and overcoming deficits, and we are kings. Then lose to a solid team at the end, and now we have no chance and small ball is not good. SMH Same ol same ol... If we beat the Lakers tomorrow the story changes again and we can win it all...

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

#1217 D-rock, Aug 5, 2020
  18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Wouldn't be a problem if the refs allowed aggressive boxing out like the good old 'Chuck Hayes' days. That's the only way Tucker and company are going to be able to get more rebounds.

#1218 Sanctity, Aug 5, 2020
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i would want to read a serious analysis of this phenomenon... is the sample too small or there is really something to it...

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Rivers is good we re lucky ego got injured