1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you Agree? - Bomani Jones implies Steph Curry no superstar, 'best system player' ever

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pringles09, Jul 24, 2020.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Seriously?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Warriors are nothing but a bunch of overrated players who are fortunate to play with a bunch of studs. :cool:

durvasa and JumpMan like this.
  3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Curry is a weak defender. You just rarely get to see it because he's surrounded by multiple great defenders. The Cavs game-plan was to target him.

They didn't only target him with Kyrie. They tried to catch Curry on switches as much as possible. You can't argue that the impact of PG defense is overrated when a team built an entire offensive gameplan around targeting the PG....and it worked....resulting in a title. You have made multiple silly arguments in this thread (other GS players would be bums elsewhere, they only succeed because of Curry, Curry can play defense, etc), but this one takes the cake. It's like you didn't even watch the actual games.

#203 Icehouse, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  4. Icehouse

Green can't carry a team. I believe I noted that. He isn't garbage and is great support. I believe I noted that as well. A "superstar" that has him as support, along with Russell as support, should be fine.

Good attempt though.

5. Icehouse

Well, I guess you can say Curry's undervalued contract after he got injured kept the cap low enough to put them in play once the spike hit. LOL

6. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Best player on his championship team? You mean Iguodala? Or Durant?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2015 Curry could carry a scrubbier team, 2019 version is too injured or taxed, cannot.
    He isn't durable.

2014-2016 was the best he was scoring in his career, he wasn't Harden though.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry is the weakest member of the Warriors' starting 5. So of course defenses will always target the weakest link. Exploiting mismatches is basic basketball.

But just because he's the weakest link in the starting 5 doesn't mean he's a weak defender overall. I don't know why you're having trouble with this concept.

Look at his defensive stats. They don't support your assertion.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So when trying to downplay Curry, Green is a stud. But in a vacuum, he's overrated.

Careful.....your bias is showing.

10. Icehouse

Your first sentence is true and so is my prior one, noting he is a weak defender. When he actually has to defend legit scoring options it's quite obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes.

Defensive stats while being hidden while multiple great defenders are the ones actually guarding the real offensive threats. I don't know why you're having trouble with this concept.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The cap spike had nothing to do with Curry. Durant's decision to join GSW had everything to do with Curry.

12. Icehouse

Green is a stud when he isn't being asked to carry the load. He's great support.

Careful.....your bias is showing. It's not as if there aren't multiple posts from me noting both. Good attempt though.

13. Icehouse

The cap spike had nothing to do with Curry. Curry's value contract due to his prior injury had everything to do with GS having enough room to bring Durant in at max.

Durant's decision to join a 73 win team had a lot to do with Curry and the other studs on the roster that you keep trying to downplay.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Great offense trumps average to above-average defense.

Why are you so surprised by this very simple basketball concept?

If stats won't support your assertion, then how can you expect to convince anyone? Does your argument boil down to "trust you"?

Curry plays good fundamental defense. He's active, plays good positional defenses, and makes the correct switches. Do teams try to force him into mismatches because of his smaller stature? Absolutely. Does that mean he's a bad defender? No it doesn't.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You mean the 73 win team where Curry had arguably the greatest offensive season of all-time?

Again, Curry is the engine of the Warriors offense. Arguing this very obvious fact shows your bias.

16. Icehouse

Curry is not average defensively. Watch actual games when he has to hold guys. And every player they targeted him with was not a great offensive player. Again, it seems like you didn't watch the Finals.

His stats were accumulated while on a team where his teammates were holding the top threats and they were hiding him. Do you not know how to properly analyze stats based on the circumstances?

Curry is a bad defender. I won't bombard the thread with twenty posts going back-n-forth on it again. But the facts are the Cavs designed a scheme to abuse his defense and it worked for a title.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Which superstars would be "fine" with Green and Russell as the 2nd and 3rd best players? In case you forgot, Green is a poor shooter/scorer and is undersized. Russell is ball-dominant.

Please, list some superstars that would be "fine" with this pair.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How about giving some examples?

Again, can you provide anything to support your assertion other than your "eye-test"?

19. Icehouse

I mean the 73 win team that had Curry, All-NBA and All-Star Klay (who is also a great defender but didn't make the All D team that season), All-NBA and All-Star and All-D Green and another All-Star and All league defender coming off the bench.

Yet he can't make that engine run without multiple other great players alongside him, whether they drop in the playoffs or in the regular season. For comparison, it doesn't matter if you drop a player like Harden on a team with Lin and Parsons with no training camp and no great system...he will still ball from day one and carry his team.

Arguing these very obvious facts shows your bias.

My last comment on it, because you have proven you will rehash the same points/opinion for multiple pages. I won't clog the thread like that again.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sure. The team built around Curry.

They're great when they play with him, but how great would they be without him? Klay Thompson would flourish anywhere, but you can't make that argument for Draymond Green. In fact, you've only defended Green by citing awards he's won playing alongside Curry (which is illogical at best). You've shied away from looking at his individual skill-set (which is the logical way to prove your assertion) b/c you know it's a tough argument to make.

And who cares about "carrying" a team to the playoffs with no realistic chance of a title? Is the point to get to the playoffs or to win a title?

Don't go. I'm still waiting for you to list these superstars who would be "fine" with Draymond Green and Russell as his 2nd/3rd best player.

And I haven't argued against Harden. I've consistently said that Harden is a floor raising superstar while Curry is a ceiling raising superstar. The example I've used is that Harden alone can carry a team much better than Curry, but I think Curry/CP3 would do better than Harden/CP3.