1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep schools closed until a Vaccine is ready!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The cheapest, fastest and most effective is to declare 'Martial Law' and force all people to quarantine for 3 weeks under forced military imposition. Pandemic over.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Aren't kids more than 6 feet apart in class?

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No. Classrooms aren't that big. And you have 30 kids in the room. If you were to spread out a desk 6 ft. from another desk you could fit 14 to 15 in my room.

pgabriel likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They started in April in some places. That being said I'm sure they were in a better situation.. I'm just saying you can't wait infinitely

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm sure you can do 20. I haven't been In a class but desk are a least 3 feet wide. Also you would obviously do the temperature check

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Considering my wife is a teacher, then yes. We don't need to be in school until it is SAFE to be there for the kids, the teachers and society.

Uh, yes I do, and the answer is not too much TBH, and not something they will sit 4 hours on a laptop in a zoom meeting to do, best to just delay and get them a full year starting in January.

As for younger children not spreading it, that is a fallacy - unproven and mostly because they have NOT been exposed in the protest marches, or the Memorial day parties, or the July 4th down the river parties....

DD

#46 DaDakota, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    No Worries likes this.
  7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Ignoring the obvious -- kids will be kids. There's no way to enforce 6-feet social distancing at school. Anyone who's been in a hallway between classes could tell you that.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not legitimate excuse. Discipline is part of the job

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No you can't fit 20. The measurements don't lie. Even that doesn't fit an entire class. Parents are going to send their kids back. It will be an extremely small amount of public school kids who do a 100% virtual program.

Temp checks have to be done before a student enters the building. Quite frankly they need to be done before they even get on the bus but that would result in having to hire bus aides and delay transportation. Again, that is not an option unless the state wants to actually invest in coronavirus protocols.

I strongly suggest some serious research pgabriel. I don't mean that as disrespect. But please do not go there with discipline. You are clearly uniformed on the matter.

I can promise you, teachers, admin, everyone, wants to go back to work. I worked from 7-3 pre pandemic. Once we went virtual i was working from 6am-10pm, plus weekends simply to accommodate the parents on my team. We are in an unprecedented time and it needs to be done correctly. This is being rushed because its an election year.

I'm not worried about myself, but most of my co workers have families, some with newborns, others are older with other conditions. They are being placed in a dangerous situation. We truly do not know what will happen when you put 1,000 to 2,000 kids in a building all day together. If you've ever worked in a school, kids carry all types of viruses and illnesses. I am currently working a summer program virtually and one of my students has the corona virus. This is why most districts have advocated for the Hybrid approach. If students were eased back in successfully then normal school could resume must faster and safer. Instead TEA is not giving us that choice, nor are they providing any guidelines on how to do it. As someone who has leaned Republican on many issues, i've never seen a political party willing to risk the health and safety of people quite like this.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. DaDakota

Also, NO ONE is talking about the teachers, of which like 1 in 16 is in the very vulnerable category - how the hell do we keep teaching if a couple of teachers get it?

This is madness.

"Questions for School Openings:
    30% of the teachers in the US are over 50. About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

• If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a substitute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for substitute pay?
    • Substitutes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?"

Vaccines are coming, and VERY SOON, we should just hold out until then....if it is 3 or 4 months make it up in the end.

Update table on Vaccine candidates and the stages they are in.

D

MightyMog, TheFreak and Rileydog like this.
  12. DaDakota

Betsy DEVOS has no credibility here - they asked her for a plan and she has none - that waste of the seman that made her should not even be in this discussion and quoting her proves you lack cognitive thought.

DD

BmwM3 and No Worries like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are delusional. The younger the child, the less conformant. This is to be expected.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

DeVos is a complete and total idiot.

15. DaDakota

Exactly which is why we should not be sending them to school - and let's not forget there are students with LEARNING disabilities that need extra attention and are special needs, what do we do with those students?

DD

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That's not a legitimate response. Discipline has nothing to do with it. It's pretty obvious social distancing is not going to happen in public schools. Stop pretending like moving desks will help the situation.

[​IMG]

DaDakota likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You know you are arguing with an expert, right?

Don’t be that guy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is that now in the US wearing a mask has become a political issue and so it will be hard to get schools to implement the kind of protocols you probably have in Germany.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You don't have to recess or cafeteria lunch
    Do hallways not get crowded in Europe?. Regardless this is something that can't be controlled.

Obviously you have to make adjustments

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the proper mask, 3 feet would suffice.

DaDakota likes this.