1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hispanic Rockets fan defends culinary culture against leftists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2020.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Goya foods are delicious. I cook with that brand all the time. I predict the boycott will last about 48 hours. There are a lot of fat Latinos and they will not simply give up their favorite dishes made possible by Goya products, just because some losers with a bad case of TDS decided to dictate how they should eat.

Ubiquitin and ROXRAN like this.
  2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I gotta agree with this, I have a lot of Hispanic in my mixed race and can tell you the Hispanic side of myself believes in food stuffs above a lot of BS

generalthade_03 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I don’t care about the boycott but Goya really isn’t that good. There are better brands out there.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is way overrated from the people trying to boycott Goya to people eating beans... to own the libs?

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Goya is hispanic culture? I thought it was a company from Sweden that is located in Jersey.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

The premier source for authentic Latino cuisine, Goya Foods is the largest, Hispanic-owned food company in the United States. Founded in 1936 by Don Prudencio Unanue and his wife Carolina, both from Spain, the Goya story is as much about the importance of family as it is about achieving the American dream.

The Unanue family is Hispanic in the purest sense, but I don’t think anyone would say they’re leaders in Hispanic/Latino culture as it is commonly defined: inhabitants of former Spanish colonies. This family is just from Spain.

7. Buck Turgidson

I've bought their canned mango/pineapple/guava whatever nectar to use in cocktails, sauces and marinades, that's about it.

This is Texas, like you said there are better options for everything else, probably those too.

RayRay10, Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Don't buy the foil packets of seasoning unless you LOVE MSG. All that being said, my Facebook feed is FILLED today with right wingers trying to build up Goya, and all I see all over twitter is libs trying to boycott it. Not sure goya has the money to buy this much publicity.

jiggyfly, joshuaao, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see. Well, I will say this, I didn't realize so much fuss would be made over a canned food brand.

I don't like the idea of people calling it censorship. Brands are ideas that people buy because they align with their values. People choose products they identify with personally and have every right to not buy a brand with a CEO that says things they find offensive.

You don't have to buy pizzas for having an owner that is pro-life and you don't have to buy a brand that supports BLM. That's your right as a consumer. But the right cries about censorship whenever a brand says something conservatives like and liberals don't

malakas, Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

It’s definitely not censorship, it’s capitalism.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The chick’s very obvious fake eyelashes should embarrass her, but clearly she thinks she looks better with them. What a chump. She wears half a pound of makeup and has told half a pound of lies. That’s a lot of lies when you consider that all they amount to is hot air. Her first lie as press secretary was, “I’ll never lie to you.”

The woman is a well educated lying b**** who does a terrific job of hiding her education. She will go down in history as trump’s last, and worst, press secretary. In my very humble and restrained opinion.

Reeko, joshuaao, DVauthrin and 3 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Just stop. Goya foods are not “delicious”, they are fine but nothing more. It is like telling me Green Giant makes delicious foods.

I think boycotting the CEO of Goya for liking Trump is silly. 38% of Americans like Trump so a lot of people like him. The McNair’s like Trump and liberals still buy Texans gear.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I will never buy another Goya product. There are countless other ways I can spend my money without lining the pockets of the bizarre, deluded CEO of that company who is a walking, talking betrayal of the citizens of Mexico and Hispanics everywhere. In my opinion.

14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I for one love the fine foods from the Kraft brand of products. And don’t get me started on how much I love Heinz Fancy Ketchup. Hunts Catsup can eat a tomato.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I buy Heinz Ketchup. I grew up with Del Monte, but can’t find it in Austin. Heinz is finz.

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That seems to be what wattafan is arguing. My original question was a general question to the board.

To be clear I'm not debating. I am genuinely curious about the parameters of free speech in regarding to buying or not buying a product. Either way it doesn't seem to me to be a speech issue as consumers are allowed to spend their money on what product for whatever reason.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think beans and rice might be one of those things that many cultures have something. There are plenty of Chinese dishes that are similar and plenty of bean and rice Indian dishes.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is what I'm seeing. I'm not seeing a lot of calls to boycott Goya but I am seeing a lot of Trump supporters building up Goya. Funny seeing white people living in rural Minnesota talking about how they are going to buy Goya now. What's also funny is to get it they might have to venture to "ethnic" grocery stores. The kind they've complained before as representing an invasion and undermining their culture.

malakas, RayRay10, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nah... they'll buy a few cans from the ethnic aisle in the wypipo supermarket before they get bored of the beans.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I for one have never liked can beans or anything canned or bagged for that matter. Well bagged dry stuff is fine but not that precooked microwave bull.

As a Mexican my family never used Goya so nothing changing for me. I think goya is used by other Latin Americans like Cubans and probably some central Americans. Their stuff is not really good imo. I tried a marinade once and it was ok but would rather make my own.

Goya means nothing to me

Nook, malakas, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.