1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Rockets desperately need both Harden and Westbrook if they want to accomplish anything moving forward. Harden currently leads the NBA in points per game (34.4), while Westbrook is seventh (27.5). They both average more than seven assists per game as well. Houston's offense completely revolves around having both of its star players on the court.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ho...russell-westbrook-travel-orlando-01ectygfk7ef

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I've been asking this for awhile.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wifi must be real spotty with all of them downloading stuff.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Damian Lillard & LeBron James feel like they're going to prison

"For those unaware: "Doing a bid" is slang for a prison term."

D-rock likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

LeBron doesn't know a damn thing about prison......... credit it to him to avoiding those pitfalls but he was been coddled since he was 12 years old. By this point he is "the man", same with Lilard.

They can always go home, they don't have to play....... and I wouldn't be shocked if someone does walk away and say it isn't worth it.

Lilard made it clear he did not want the league to restart so at least he is consistent......... LBJ was one of the idiots pushing hard from day 1 to start the season again, he needs to suck it up and shut up.

[​IMG]

malakas, D-rock and JumpMan like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Funny Lillard was rumored to become the next Laker previously.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anyone think this is actually going to work?

malakas likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup

jch1911 and The Cat like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if ours aren't broadcast on leaguepass, i'll cry

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It blows my mind how some don't seem to grasp the extraordinary expense of this entire operation. To rent out enormous Disney hotels and complexes and fly in the entire league, along with associated equipment... it would be far worse for the league financially to try this and fail than it would have been just to cancel the season and keep everyone and everything at home.

Granted, that doesnt mean it's 100%. It's not. But the league and players clearly believe it's a lot better than 50/50, because otherwise, it's an awful financial decision. These guys aren't where they are in life because they like to throw away hundreds of millions of dollars on a prayer.

It also bodes well that the NWSL and MLS are continuing to move forward. The NBA has significantly more money than either of those leagues, and thus, a much more rigorous safety plan. If those two can make it work, and they largely have thus far, I think the NBA has a good chance. Granted, it's early, but something to watch.

D-rock, YOLO, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  13. The Cat

As an addendum, I think this recent quote from Windhorst sums it up well:

This, from what everybody I talk to right now, is too big to fail. The overwhelming majority of players are excited. They want to be there.

That doesn't mean it can't fail, of course, but it would take a lot. Again, I think the soccer leagues are important to watch. I struggle to see a world where NWSL and MLS can finish their month-long bubble tournaments, but the NBA with all of its additional money can't figure it out. Fingers crossed.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just think there's so much that can go wrong in months - how will they players get their families and how will that all be done safely?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

over half the people on here don't even know the TBT is going on right now and that's far easier to all of a sudden not work compared to what the NBA is doing. the TBT is doing just fine btw with much less measures in place, although testing is done etc. but the idea as a whole is working

The Cat likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

if for whatever reason they don't get their families there, that doesn't mean play actually stops. and there's a policy in place for that which has been covered in this thread. but you wouldn't know it bc some have derailed it. There's actually a ton of details about this entire process in here but yeah again it was derailed for much of it

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

150 Million loss for the league last I heard.

D-rock and The Cat like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

That really isn't a lot of money for the NBA.

I don't think the league expects to close up shop but Silver has made it clear that they are not playing no matter what.

If it becomes a problem I am sure the league will pull the plug.

19. The Cat

This is a league where barely any owners even paid minimal luxury tax. Let's not act like $150 million is couch change.

You add that $150 million to the $900 million shortfall from losing playoff TV revenue, and you're already over a billion down. And that's in addition to the ticket revenues that they've already lost.

They won't play no matter what, but this certainly isn't a wing-and-a-prayer experiment. That's all I meant.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Just to be clear, I don't think they would do it if they felt it was a wing and a prayer. The league has put a lot of time and effort into the decision to reopen. I am only stating that 150 million comes to about 5 million dollars per franchise. No owner wants to lose 5 million additional dollars but that isn't going to cripple them and is worth the risk even if it were a 50/50 proposition.

I suspect that the league will get through the Finals, but I likewise would not be shocked if the league stops. Silver more than any other sports leader will err on the side of caution.

Just to be clear I wasn't criticizing your post.

The Cat likes this.