1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Here's a redneck I can get behind ...

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

and I would like to hear your answers to a car wreck, which is statistically more likely to result in injury or death.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

during the ebola epidemic in 2014, when there was 1 death in the USA, this hypocritical Senator from Iowa bashed Obama, calling it a failure in leadership.

but as for the response to COVID19, w > 125K deaths so far w no end in sight, Sen Joani Ernst says Traitor Trump / Pence have stepped up the plate.

No Worries likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

...I digest

B-Bob, RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Quit avoiding my post like the plague. I got you in a corner and you know it. Your point about everyone being asymptomatic with more tests is proven FALSE and you continue to be in denial. This isnt about using logic, fact, or reasoning for you, that was a facade.

One more time:

"How big of a deal is it when people are asymptomatic?" - bigtexxxx

Deaths are not the only thing that matters.

HERE'S FACT, LOGIC, AND REASONING THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TO HEAR UNTIL YOU ACKNOWLEDGE IT:

According to Spain's antibody study, which was the largest and most well designed of similar types of studies, THE NUMBER OF ASYMPTOMATIC CASES out of a randomly selected group of 70,000 participants was 33.7%.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/gjjxt4/337_of_subjects_with_antibodies_for_coronavirus/

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Do over a 120k people die every year annually from car fatalities and way more than that go to hospitals for it?

If not I’m confused by what you mean. “Statistically more likely? I could go right now where I live in Travis County and see how how many Covid deaths and car deaths so far in 2020.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Talk about deflection... did this become a discussion topic on car wrecks? I mean, other than the car wreck that the trump presidency has become...

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I asked first. Go ahead, answer truthfully.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

10. NewRoxFan

11. bigtexxx

lol at this. My point was if you are asymptomatic, and you’re keeping away from the vulnerable, it’s not a big deal.

Then you flip out and post data from Spain. Lol OK.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Data from Spain is as relevant as it would be in the US. *Newsflash*: it's the same virus.

You're moving goal posts now-- at first, this has been all about that the virus is not a big deal because the cases are only increasing because we are testing more people and most people are asymptomatic... now you're switching your narrative to "well, if the 33% of people who have this virus are asymptomatic and are responsible then we should be fine!". Which STILL doesn't make sense because over a half of the people experience symptoms.

You're a joke. How old are you to be this delusional?

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Are people from Spain different than people in the US?

Please explain this "logic" you claim to be so full of, oh wise one.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Colleges & Covid-19: Time to Start Pool Testing":

https://errorstatistics.com/2020/07/03/colleges-covid/

excerpt:

. . . An easy solution would seem to be to turn to “pooled testing”. It’s an old statistical idea, but it’s only now gaining traction [1] In the July 1 NYT:

The FDA has set out guidelines for adopting pooled testing, which employs the same PCR technology as individual diagnostic tests (link).

Universities should consider what they will do once a certain number of positive covid cases emerge. The Virginia Tech plan proposes to house infected students in a single dorm, but what about the majority of students who live off campus? At what point would they switch to remote teaching? As much as everyone wants to return to normalcy, a class of masked students, 6 feet apart, doesn’t obviously create a better learning environment than zoom. By regularly conducting pooled tests, the university would become aware of increased spread as soon as a higher proportion of the pools return positive results– before we see an increase in serious cases and hospitalizations.

Chris Bilder, a statisticians at University of Nebraska–Lincoln has been advising the Nebraska Public Health Laboratory on its use of group testing since April. He and his colleagues have developed a newly released app to determine precisely how best to conduct the pooling for a chosen reduction in testing, and given estimate of prevalence. (Link)
    more at the link

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Wanted to give you guys an update/insider look as to what COVID has done to this country.

I am an ICU doctor In San Antonio. I have never in my life been more disappointed with the General American population. The response, handling, and public reaction has been incredibly uneducated, politicized and frankly stupid It’s gotten so bad to the point that I, a lifelong Texan born and raised and never moved out, will not be staying here when my contract is up. It has been clear what states take science and the opinion of health advisors seriously and who listens to Wall Street. I will not allow for their decisions to put mine and my family’s life in danger once my civic/contractual duty is up to my hospital and community. I’m not the only one who feels this way. So many of my colleagues are over the handling of this. So many of my colleagues look disdainfully on the public who are lax in their handling of this disease. Why should my life be at risk or forfeit because you couldn’t stay inside during a ****ing war. So a big **** you to everyone who didn’t take this seriously.

we have known about this dIs ease since late January. Not we the public. We the ICU physicians at my hospital. We have internal emails about how bad this disease would be and we started preparing for this war then. And this is a war. Maybe if y’all “patriotic” assholes heard that word you’d give a **** more. But that is exactly what this is. We are dealing with death destruction loss of infrastructure brain drain economic turmoil. What else would you call this. Leadership has known about the impact of this virus since January there is no doubt. So why are we 5 months later leading the world in cases and deaths. Why are we still up trending? Why do we still not have resources to deal with this?

I cannot speak to Houston’s ICU situation but it definitely similar to ours.

Currently all Medical critical care Trained doctors are seeing only COVID patients. Our medical icu is only COVID since we are best trained to handle the ventilator and complex respiratory failure. Our max medical icu capacity is 32. We have gone up to 36. This is just from a beds Standpoint let alone staffing. To give you an example. My last night we had a 44 year old COVID patient lose his heartbeat 4 times in one night. While I and the staff tried to keep him alive another COVID patient pulled her breathing tube out. This happened because we are so short on nursing staff. I had to leave the code to reintubate the crashing patient. While this is going on a non COVID in another floor of the hospital is also coding. I cannot respond to all of these people in a timely manner.

the medical ICU has 36 bed capacity we have more than 150 Covid in the hospital. We are quickly running out of ventilators and non invasive breathing machines to achieve safe care. Last week we had 4 ventilators left in a 300+ bed hospital

while supplies and beds are running short. SurgicL icu is attempting to help treat some of the icu Covid but remember this is outside their training and scope of practice. They are helping because we need manpower.

while Covid is going on remember that people still overdose, get to drunk, collapse their lungs, have heart attacks, have cirrhosis, have cold exacerbation, have heart failure, have serious infections, have flares of chronic diseases. Now those patients are being by non critical care trained staff. Good luck to you now if you are unfortunate enough to have any accidents.

this is not an old person disease. The youngest patients I have are 18 18 29 36 42. Some of them have already been trialed on bypass options. I doubt they make it. If you survive an icu stay there is no telling what havoc this will have on your body going forward. Your body just doesn’t go back to normal after getting nuked. Good luck affording these hospital bills. Good luck finding insurance to cover your new pre existing conditions.

congrats American public you played yourself. If it was so safe to work and not wear masks why is every icu overrun. If the federal government name,y Republicans saying its a hoax or safe or no need for masks or the economy or freedoms are so constant on these facts then why are most federal jobs/institutions closed?

i have never been more ashamed of the American population And the federal government in my life So many people young and old will die or have life long disease because we couldn’t stay inside watch Netflix and eat delivered food while a war was going on on our soil.

16. KingCheetah

I trust her.

AroundTheWorld, Kim, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I’ll show her some love.

18. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

I trust both of them.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in four months 125k people have died of Covid. In one year about 25k people die in car accidents. I know math isn't your strong suit so let me translate that for you.

On average, you are 15 times more likely to dies of Covid than in a car.

RayRay10, deb4rockets and BallaDoc like this.
  20. bigtexxx

please include injuries in your analysis, as I noted above. The actual number doesn't matter - the point is there is risk involved.