1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where to from here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Wattafan, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

The back and forth wrangling does no good, or not enough on a large enough scale to make a difference. I am all for reform in the police force as this unwarranted violence and harassment has to stop.
    From what I can see, the protests will continue to wind down with no real change.
    This style of protest can be effective but to be truly effective, they need to continue unabated.
    Less confrontational methods will also be effective if persistent and likely moreso.
    A supervisor I had years ago said something to me that I remember well 30 years later - he said "Don't come to me with a problem, come to me with a solution."
    This is what needs to come from all this and soon - else the iron will grow cold.
    On that note, what ideas can be offered to our politicians and the public?
    I would also suggest non polemic, pithy posters/placards at rallys that will catch people's imaginations.
    I hope this will be treated as a serious thread as personally, this all needs a successful resolution, and soon.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

VOTE!

Many people complain. But, then they don’t even make an effort to get people in office that can make the kind of change they desire. Do more than yell and scream. Get involved and go vote.

PARTICIPATE!

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this specific regarding law enforcement reform?

I haven't really dug into what Minneapolis City Counsel passed yesterday but from what I hear there sounds like a lot of good in there and a lot of ideas that could be applied to other cities. LEO's are given way too much on their plate and even the LE union has said that. Looking at a model where others handle non-violent situations for example the situation with Elijah McClain in CO. might've been handled very differently if it had been people with mental health training and deescalation training. I think the siege mentality of Blue culture needs to come down. The Wall of Silence is very harmful to LE public relations and ultimately makes it harder for LEO to do their job. At the same time wider society needs to recognize the very difficult and painful job that LEO do. I know a lot of people say they don't want to hear about "good cops" but there are good cops out there and if we want to rebuild PD's we need those good cops.

Patience, T_Man and Wattafan like this.
  4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Dems voted not to open the floor for discussion on Tim Scott's bill. Why? They should've taken that time to have discussion and then they could've voted it down or amended it to satisfy both sides. Those chose politics over the interest of the nation.

cml750 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It was a shitty bill, why not take up the house bill instead? It actually addressed the issues at hand.

Patience, mdrowe00, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Vote Trump out of office, begin to heal nation.

Rashmon, DVauthrin, Patience and 6 others like this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The GOP continuously offers this country the legislative equivalents of a plate of diseased feces, and when the more discerning among us demurs to partake, we are accused of “playing politics.”

If conservatives want to be part of the solution, they have to act in good faith first. But it seems the only faith they’re capable of these days is one to supply side Jesus.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really have no idea where we go from here.

Honestly think we're looking at the symptom and forgetting about the cause - the elephant in the room.

The elephant in the room is what brings people of color into contact with the police to begin with.

Black on white violent crime is 9.17x more common than white on black violent crime.

[​IMG]

Blacks are convicted of crime , particularly violent crimes at a rate significantly higher than their percentage of population.

If we were simply talking about crimes of economics .... that could easily be explained away as systemic but its not just property crimes , vice crimes or drug crimes - crimes with economic outcomes. Obviously a greater number of blacks are economically challenged compared to their white counterparts.

[​IMG]

#8 Corrosion, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

The bill was on the floor. There SHOULD be a sense of urgency. But if you're not willing to even discuss the issue then the question becomes why. The why is a real question. Why would they choose not to discuss? It would've had a chance to pass if they both participated. The house bill won't pass because of politics. They did not seek bipartisan collaboration either. Why?

They're just playing politics and nothing will be resolved for quite some time. I get the feeling that's the way the Dems want it. If there is partisanship it hurts their campaign's talking points. Sick.

Edit; The Repub's are guilty too. But at least they are trying to open up the discussion across the isle.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Perhaps it did not go far enough but sometimes you gotta give them their medicine in small doses.
    Winning small battles along the way is not losing the war.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wait just a minute. Aren’t there hundreds and hundreds of bills passed by the house that Mitch McConnell won’t even bring to a vote in the Senate? And you want to complain about the Dems?

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that the House is a coequal part so if they are trying to open up the discussion shouldn't Republicans (which are the majority in the Senate) be willing to take on the House bill? Why is it accepted that the House Bill won't pass because of politics but not the Tim Scott bill?

13. adoo

adoo Member

Baffled logics,

it's not politics when the GOPers do it,
    in this case, when the GOP-controlled Senate, thanks to Moscow Mitch, refuses to take on the bill passed by the House. ​

14. Nook

Nook Member

Change is coming. Some of it will work really well and we will rely on it for a long time and some of it will not work well and will end up in the scrap heap.

There will be political consequences to be paid by Republicans in the short term for the Trump debacle and suppressive techniques of Republicans. In the long term Democrats will pay as well for past choices (crime bill etc) and Biden or Trump will likely be the last President we see with this type of checkered past.

The tolerance for this specific type of racism will be nil. There will be changes at local and later state and federal level concerning police reform and the role of the police and prison.

Both parties will adapt and shift to the more progressive side for the next couple decades.

The shift will cause other problems (every change does).

However the good ole boy mentality is dying and is only a matter of time until it is gone.

Patience likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Must be my isolation, but I have no confidence of this happening. I do hope this is the final white backlash for Obama rather than some prolonged racial shitfest.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The US population is changing. It reminds me of gay rights. There will always be individuals that have issues but not in the raw numbers like in the past... not at an institutional level.

Patience and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I might have a good idea for Texas and California, but I have no clue how things are changing in the Midwest, Rust Belt and Dirty South.

That's probably what concerns me the most, the fact that our differences in wealth and culture are deepening rather than normalizing.

18. Nook

Nook Member

They are changing there too, just slower but still faster than I expected. These things have a way of sneaking up on us....

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

The fact that they wouldn't even open it up to discuss shows they are just posturing. So, the issue gets punted.....AGAIN and most likely never resolved. Because it scores more political points to leave it unresolved and campaign on it. Can't you see through the BS???

cml750 likes this.
  20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Out of the 100's of bills, don't you think this one is kinda important? Or is it just a regular old bill to you? One of the 100's that don't make it. All they had to do was make an effort to talk about it. Find some common ground so the bill they propose passes. But they went full Nancy and ripped it up and walked away. No way their bill gets a sniff from the (R) senate. Who suffers. Not them. That's for sure.

Is it really in the Dem's best interest to pass a bipartisan bill on police reform before the election? It looks to me like it's not. Captain Obvious here.