1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defund the Cops?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The issue here is a simple one.

Truth is , more often than not our interactions with police are negative - traffic tickets , being arrested for whatever reason .....

Who the **** wants a ticket to pay or to get hauled to jail for whatever transgression we committed ?

We only want them around .... when we need them. And we're talking about even the best of them here.

Really , ask yourself when the last time you had any interaction with the police was - If you didn't directly call them for some sort of assistance , it was very likely a negative instance , no matter how "nice" either of you were.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Defund the universities. If this is the best our society can come up with, we need to get rid of our university system... scrap it entirely. Get rid of gender studies and its related sociological communist mess at least.

The prob here is too many idiots with university degrees who don't need them and have no purpose in life, so they want to go around lording radical theory over the rest of the world instead of doing something productive.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I treat traffic tickets as an event where i could've had an accident on my part and i don't give them grief at all. Even if it's a speed trap or if other cars in front gets away with it. Just the game.

Sometimes i do get let go but I'm an unassuming Asian who puts my keys on the dash, hands on the wheels and turns on the light. Some people scoff at that as if I'm submitting to them but it's more like I've seen clips of random traffic stops of crazies unloading guns on the officer then gunning it.

So i heard from a cop that they appreciate that, especially if you pull over a lighted parking lot that signals you won't gun it, and it raises your chance of getting by with a warning.

Or you can go the other end of the spectrum and park on a narrow highway median with busy night traffic to make that fine priceless.

Police racism and racial profiling... it's a world i haven't dealt with much. I don't think Black people would get the same benefit of the doubt even if they followed that procedure. It's just my experience shows not all police are bullies or quota counting bridge trolls. Just trying to be decent and yes they do lord more power and respect out of you but they also do a lot more than we originally expected.

#363 Invisible Fan, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I do much the same .... but I'm not that unassuming Asian , I'm a 6'4" NA with hair half way down my back .... been that way all my life. I don't stand out much on the rez , other than my size but off the rez is a different story ...

You should try the cops on the rez .... those bastards play favorites and target individuals like no one else. I could tell some horror stories of those asshats. They'd just as soon bury your ass as look at you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can't even imagine the different things that happen at some reservations. The news doesn't report much but the stories and articles are there if you look for it.

I hope more First Nations find a voice that's heard because there are people who would support change if they knew more, but i don't think that's happening anytime soon.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No one's paying attention to us , haven't been for decades - we don't have enough votes for them to care about.
    Several different tribes scattered to the wind across many states , no real concentration of numbers anywhere in particular so we can't swing a state for one side or the other ....

There are fewer than 5m of us left and many of those only some tiny fraction so they can claim gubmint perks.

We'll continue this until we're erased ....

Xerobull, ArtV, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I would love to crush the entire police-prison industrial complex but it's a tall order when you mix in that it's a massive employer for government and there is an element of corporate greed with all of the add-on services like private prisons. The distilled bottom line is that we shouldn't put a profit on human misery, but as we're seeing come to light, even cops are milking the system by creating criminal offenses to get overtime and double their yearly pay.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great article, everybody should read, gives a lot of great insight into what police officers think.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Again. I keep seeing it come up and again and again and I do not get it. Why is this partisan? Why do Republicans like police so much?

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I don't see nurses and doctors being gunned down for doing their duty at the annual rate cops are.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

That's where the rub comes in - with what exactly?
    More realistic is a better system to weed out bad cops and improving methods of dealing with confrontation.
    Use of less deadly weapons such as tasers, and bean bag projectiles are a big step in the right direction.
    Still, if I were a cop facing crooks with real bullets, I would want no reprisals when forced to use my own.
    Also useful would be a non report of the perps "colour" by the media. "Man" or "men" is description enough.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I see them dying right and left from Covid. Maybe you don't watch the news. Cops don't die because they don't have tear gas, stun grenades, and APCs.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Video is your friend. Body cameras should be mandatory. Every arrest should be examined by a 3rd party and offenses should be reported.

Police in general need to be trained/retrained to be an honored profession that helps keep the super bad guys off the streets. Stop arresting (and beating) people who are jaywalking or other ticky-tack fouls. Stop lying about or looking for reasons to pull people over for a bigger shakedown. Yes it might be boring but I think spending 50% of your time building community trust instead of fulfilling ticket quotas and looking for promotions based on arrests.

But defund...no. We don't need to go back to the Tombstone days where the Cowboys run the law..

Wattafan likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the full fox news version of the story, with several more disturbing quotes about massacring "black people". My favorite part, literally LOL'ed:

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Tear gas is a non deadly way to disperse possibly dangerous situations to cops and crowds.
    Cops die of Covid too and are on the front lines dealing with protesters and other crowds.

#377 Wattafan, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What does the non lethality of tear gas have to do with cops getting gunned down? Nothing.

Then we should stop supplying them with tear gas and stun grenades and start supplying them with N95 masks. Do we have a deal?

19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I'll address the relevant portion.
    You complained about the cost and necessity of cops tools being incongruous to that of doctors and nurses

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

The death rate for cops on duty via felonious acts is 48/800,000 or one in 16,667. Half as likely as a pizza driver to die on the job when accounting for all deaths.

Freakin' snowflakes.

jiggyfly likes this.