1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Humans: Unusually Murderous Mammals, Typically Murderous Primates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the Planet of the Apes, the Non Marky Marky or Pineapple Express version,

the Apes were trying to build a perfect and peaceful society and not repeat the self destruction of the human species

So they dropped the 'Ape shall not kill Ape' law

But the Apes couldn't even follow that, therefore they 'just joined the human race'

I know too many people here are too busy watching Fox News or Rachel Meadow or Don Lemon
    or watching K-Pop videos on Tik Tok

to understand this topic.. of improving and moving our species forward

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think you would find for the most part, the more secular countries are the less violent. Empathy is not dependent on religion, more so I don’t think religion is a real factor when it comes to murder rates.

Anyways, what do you believe is the reasoning behind our country having the highest murder rate then any other highly developed country?

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It seems like your almost trying to sound poetic and thoughtful to yourself but your genuinely not engaging in any real discussion here.

I don’t own cable television or a tik tok account and am constantly thinking about how to move society forward.

Enough with the planet or the ape, religion and “quell for violence” stuff. There’s tons of data and correlations on places with high murder rates vs low murder rates. The world murder rate has been consistently declining, why is is that? How do we accelerate that decline? What can we replicate here in America to accelerate our decline specifically?

It’s important to think about, because our murder rate is unacceptably high for such a developed nation, people are needlessly dying, other countries have laid the blue prints on how to achieve a significantly lower murder rate within a modern western society.

jiggyfly and vlaurelio like this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm going with the two factors mentioned here in the study
    Territorial,
    wars have been waged for this reason, look at the middle east conflicts, gang activity

Social,
    the more complex part because each society has their own rules, influences and consequences

look at mexican drug cartels
    it's programmed that it's acceptable to have murder for survival, advancement and a way of life
    most disputes with other cartels are territorial like any war

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why does Geoffrey get a Spider Monkey?

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I LOVE you Tinman. You make this site what it is. But did you HAVE to my name at the VERY START of THIS thread? Lulzzz.

I support you though, fam.

arkoe and tinman like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I call bullshit. Where is the honey badger?

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

I was only thinking of the superior intellects of Clutchfans

We're the Elon Musk
    They're the Jovan Musk

Ziggy likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

FrontRunner and jiggyfly like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Man I am really starting to feel sorry for you.

Are you ok?

11. Nook

Nook Member

ThatBoyNick and KingCheetah like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. tinman

Supporting Member

You should report Carl Herrera for stealing jokes from 1st grade kids who flunked 1st grade.
    @J.R.

14. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/d/d5/General_Thade.jpg/revision/latest/top-crop/width/360/height/450?cb=20110825180044&imgrefurl=https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/General_Thade&tbnid=CK9vXz_vUXUIaM&vet=1&docid=_n10D9obXKcNzM&w=360&h=450&q=general thade planet of the apes&hl=en&source=sh/x/im

The best thing that came out of Marky Mark’s version is yours truly.

#34 generalthade_03, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@KingCheetah did you see that @tinman tagged me?

tinman likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm interested in the topic but I'm a nerd.

Yes primates are violent but not to the same extent. Our closest relatives are chimps, gorillas and bonobos. Chimps are very violent and regularly wage war on both other chimps and other primates. Gorillas and bonobos are very peaceful. They will fight but in general seem to resolve differences more through cooperation and in the case of bonobos through sex. If we take human history as a whole humans are the most warlike but humans are also the most cooperative and both for the same reason. We have developed sophisticated technology and culture and we've used both of those tools for cooperation and war. No other species that we know of has been able to build nation states and even under an authoritarian state still requires a lot of cooperation to maintain. No other species that we know of has developed weapons that allows an individual to kill hundreds or thousands.

If we believe that humanity is really Hobbesian then we are chimps and without the structure of a state with laws backed by force then we will descend to our violent natural state, "red in tooth and claw." The problem with that view is that for most of human history humans didn't live in states and while tribal hunter gatherer societies have been violent there are plenty who aren't. Humans wouldn't have been able to survive and spread out over the World prior to civilization like we've seen without a high sense of cooperation. For example humans aren't physically adapted to live in the arctic or in the desert yet humans have lived in places like that for tens of thousands of years. To survive in those climates takes a lot of cooperation. In that sense Locke's view of humanity is much more accurate. That we agree to set up states and laws as a recognition of the benefits of those systems rather than just as control over our base instincts.

What all of this has to do with CHAZ I think it's a real stretch. Even if CHAZ actually were a true anarchic state beyond the control of any current state doesn't mean that it will all of a sudden turn into a bloody Hobbesian society. CHAZ has only been around for a few weeks and social inertia is pretty strong consider that colonizers tend to follow the norms of the societies they came from. Regarding that there have been murders in CHAZ consider that in the same time period there have been plenty of murders in places that are still very much part of the US.

I don't have any strong opinions about CHAZ because I haven't been there and don't want to judge it just on what the media is reporting and certainly now what social media is reporting. That said I have a real hard time buying that it has suddenly become an anarchic hell hole or that it is paradise.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I knew some smart people would eventually show up on this thread

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that as bad ass as the honey badger is, it'd have to kill another honey badger, which is essentially impossible.

Unstoppable force vs. immovable object quandry.

Xerobull and Nook like this.
  19. KingCheetah

@KingCheetah
    @tinman

tinman likes this.