1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

In other words... "don't ask us, he is cray cray"

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ultimately it’s about securing a demographic for advertising dollars.

R0ckets03 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This is true and one of the biggest problems with modern media. Journalists are supposed to be the watchdog of government and the entities they cover, not be in bed with them. Securing advertising dollars for your outlet should be secondary to fair and accurate reporting, but sadly, it’s not.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd be okay with this if:

1) Trump wins again
    2) it's retroactive to 2016....

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I wouldn’t because it gives him two more years in office.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

I would not for any reason. Basically gives trump two more years to wreak havoc (add even more judges, including the USSC). And without earning the additional time.

republicans are floating the idea because they see their chances to extend their hold on the executive branch. They are seeing 2020 as a lost cause, so extend trump and hope that in 2022 things have recovered enough for pence or some other republican to run and win.

Bzzzt. No way. I am not even sure if I'd like the single six year term start with Biden, even though many see him opting to be a one-term president. But no way in heck I'd allow trump two more free years.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Interesting take...

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Another interesting take... looking solely at Independents...

9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I wonder what would happened if trump tried to invalidate mail in votes.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Had to figure out who he was.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He does not have the power to do that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Perhaps expanding mail-in ballot to everyone during a health crisis is a great and awesome idea? Let's see how this play out, but KY mail-in process is possibly a model for other states to follow.

No Worries, DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I said only if he wins again. 2 more years is better than 4.

DVauthrin likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A great and awesome idea? Until Trump wins?

Lets start with 'expand mail in ballot to everyone and lets see how it turns out'. In other words, its not a great and awesome idea simply because the other side opposes it.

My personal awesome idea is for any voter to have the ability to confirm their vote was counted appropriately. From there, walk-in, mail-in and online voting can all be used. Online voting is very feasible. But both parties would really hate it if we had 80% plus turn out.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A great and awesome idea if indeed yield a large turn out and there was not a process that suppress turnout among any groups (see Iowa for a recent example).

The "ability to confirm their vote" is to solve what problem? Online voting? That's nice and all but it's not going to happen by Nov. Maybe 2022 or 2024. I'm all for it, if it's secure.

Meanwhile, we always had a voter turnout issue in the US and it's going to be under more pressure with covid19. Mail-in ballot for all is one relative easy solution to that problem.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  16. Space Ghost

Confirming a vote essentially eliminates voter fraud. Eliminating (alleged) voter fraud allows an easier voting process. Better voter processes eliminates voter suppression.

Again, nobody is interested in this. There is much more political value to make accusations like voter fraud and voter suppression.

Bitcoin transfers billions of dollars in wealth everyday and the network itself has never been compromised. It can be done.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Um what?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/binance-bitcoin-hack-over-40-million-of-cryptocurrency-stolen.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Space Ghost

Let me rephrase ... in the exact words i used. "..the network itself has never been compromised"

As its clear you do not understand this subject, let me give you analogy. Robbing a bank and stealing the money (the nonsense you just posted) has nothing to do with taking over the printing press and printing your own unmarked bills (Tv Series: Money Heist). The former happens all the time in both examples.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I admit that I don't know much about bitcoin and how it works but you said transfer and not creating isn't this a form of Transfer?

Also what about this.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/russian-darknet-criminals-sell-13m-of-fake-cash-for-crypto

Asking for a friend.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If Public Broadcasting is beholden to the government, and Corporate Broadcasting is beholden to private family interests (murdochs, redstones) and billionaires, let alone advertising dollars.

Then who does the viewer trust?

I'm not going to read/watch foreign rags like Al Jazeera and The Guardian or niche blogs every day.

RayRay10 likes this.