1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should citizen statue topplers be prosecuted?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Aug 16, 2017.

?

Should citizen statue topplers be prosecuted?

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Yes, but they are heroes

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Yes, but only only for a misdemeanor

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Why do you say ANTIFA?

Washington did own slaves and he had the teeth pulled out of the head of a slave so he could use them.

Until we as a society reach some sort of understood compromise on what is and isn’t acceptable.

FWIW it is a crime, same with looting and rioting. If the police want to press charges they certainly can and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you that there is an art element to it and they should be preserved for that purpose.

Not sure why you keep saying ANTIFA couldn’t change a tire.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, but hopefully with whatever standard qualifiers ADAs give to rioters for their behavior, and then let either the grand jury or trial jury discretely weigh any free speech considerations (by disregarding judge's instructions not to and hoping he doesn't overturn an acquittal). This is assuming Congress and the presidency don't step in like Ford did for draft objectors.

Nook likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Because they're a bunch of idiots who have been indoctrinated into a the critical theory/socjus cult through humanities degrees (whose only purpose is said indoctrination) that don't provide them with any usable skills, and their parents probably didn't teach them so much as how to change a light globe.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... sounds like a talking point from the far right about the far left.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont know if all of the love shown here by the AntiFa apologists will age well. But maybe it will...

tinman likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Who are ANTIFA apologists? I don’t know many people that like ANTIFA. The issue I have is using them as the boogeymen for everything that happens surrounding the protests and riots. We already know that many different groups have been involved.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

A deep dive into the racism of the heroes of the American civil war will not be kind to them.

If people were more generally aware of that history and some direct quotes you will find, more statues would be coming down and they would be of Grant, Lincoln and Sherman.

Nook likes this.
  11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Have people who really believe this **** never heard of internships or management development programs? Have they ever compiled or drafted a safety incident report or request for proposal? Research skills, written communications and logic exercises (quantitative or otherwise), that's what college is for. And to conflate it with ideology is just dumb, you really think there aren't any conservative philosophy majors or liberal dentists who still read about feminism or social justice?

#131 Dairy Ashford, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

It is like whomever did it used all of the trigger phrases possible. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was outside actors to create division. I wonder who it could be.

13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yeah topple a statue is scary. Not like your anti government militia types.

[​IMG]

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Didn't we have this discussion before?

Let me phrase it this way. If a black mother is walking with her child on a street with a statue of Lincoln and that child asks the mother "mom, why do have a statue of this man to praise?" she can answer "well son, he was one of the greatest presidents in our country's history who successfully regained the country and ended slavery."

Ya, Lincoln has said some pretty racist stuff but at least what Lincoln is famous for has NOTHING to do with that racism. We are praising him for being a great president during a time of war and ending a deeply immoral institution.

Now imagine if if that same black son asks his mother why is there a statue of the former President of the Confederacy and why are we praising him? Wtf us she going answer with Bessie's something that is horribly cruel? Son, we have a statue of this man up because he was the president of a entity that rebelled against our nation so that they can continue to keep their property of slaves who were our ancestors.

15. HTM

HTM Member

Perhaps. I do not recall.

You're limiting the scope of your reply to confederate statues and while I agree with your point, you only stop at the easy stopping point.

We have seen the removal/tearing down of/ defacement of many more statues not associated with the Confederacy.

Christopher Columbus is famous and celebrated for being the explorer who "discovered" America. Not for his treatment of indigenous people.
    Winston Churchill is famous and celebrated for being the war time leader of Britain during WWII. Not for being a racist.
    George Washington is famous and celebrated for leading the Continental army to victory over Great Britain under incredible circumstances. Not for owning slaves or being racist.
    Andrew Jackson is famous and celebrated for defeating the British at New Orleans. Not for his treatment of indigenous people or his racism.
    Edward Colston is famous and celebrated for his philanthropy. Not for his role in the slave trade.
    Thomas Jefferson is famous and celebrated for the Declaration of Independence and his role as a founding father. Not his owning of slaves and associated racism.

We have seen that just being racist is enough to get your statue toppled. I think most people do not even know how racist Civil War leaders like Lincoln, Sherman and Grant were. They aren't famous for being racists but they were incredible racists and they are celebrated.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Christopher Columbus is at this point famous for his treatment of indigenous people. The movement to end Columbus day is pretty well known by now as every year we reignite the topic.

And Columbus's famous dead that makes him "worthy" of a statue is directly related to his atrocities.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

I mean, I disagree. I think Columbus is more famous for discovering America then for his treatment of indigenous people.

Even so, his statues weren’t put up for his treatment of indigenous people. They were put up because of his exploring achievements.

18. conquistador#11

I just found out George Washington's teeth were not made out of of wood they were made from slaves. That's some Dexter vs Villain of the week sh*T! =(

Say it aint so Jorge
    [​IMG]

Nook and JumpMan like this.
  19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

These statues, and their protection, like the Confederate flag, have nothing at all to do with heritage. That's a BS talking point. They were put up to celebrate and honor efforts to combat the freedom of slaves. And the phrase "The South Shall Rise Again" is a barely veiled promise of a return to slavery.

As I said in another thread, Germans do not honor those who fought to support Hitler and Nazism. Though WWII happened so much more recently than the Civil War, Germans understand what the swastika stands for and they are not proud of that heritage; they are rightly ashamed of it.

I've long wished that federal and state governments would tear down these statues themselves. But we've all waited so long for that to happen and it's only beginning to happen now. And it's only beginning to happen now because of pressure from protestors, some of whom have acted where our government has failed to act.

So **** yes they should be torn down. If not by our government, then by our citizenry. And the Confederate flag should be treated like the Nazi flag with its swastika. And we should all agree that those that fly it belong to a hate group, organized or not, because they absolutely do.