1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

2. PhiSlammaJamma

If it is anything like the York, and you are relatively close in the pop department, likely to get up to about 6k per day. So ramp up the defense. Welcome to the party.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

On vitamin D, cautiously optimistic in order as always...

This study found no evidence.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1871402120301156

Highlights

There is an urgent need to understand risk factors for contracting COVID-19 infection and for poorer prognosis thereafter.

COVID-19 appears to disproportionately affects black and minority ethnic individuals. The underlying mechanism is unknown.

One potential mediator could be their higher prevalence of apparent vitamin D deficiency.

We explored whether blood 25 hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) concentration was associated with COVID-19 risk.

We found no evidence that (25(OH)D) explains susceptibility to COVID-19 infection, either overall or between ethnic groups.

Conclusions
    Our findings do not support a potential link between vitamin D concentrations and risk of COVID-19 infection, nor that vitamin D concentration may explain ethnic differences in COVID-19 infection.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would said we had a golden chance at changing our culture for the benefits of all.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

The past 3 days = 1843 -> 1254 -> 4098.

What's with the decrease and then the random spike?

Edit: the spike was due to unaccounted for inmates, that are now counted.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is what was shown yesterday. 4412 new cases

7. Major

Major Member

Right - but they quarantined travelers and basically the whole world stopped traveling soon after. I'm talking about 6-12 months from now. Unless the whole world stays in lockdown and borders stay closed, people are going to spread it from the countries that are handling it poorly (US, Brazil, etc) back to Europe and Asia. And it's unlikely all these countries will stay in lockdown mode - Europe is already starting inter-EU travel and is already talking about opening up global travel. Look at New Zealand - they actually got to 0 active cases and went back to normal life. And then within a few weeks, they allowed two people to come and visit dying relatives, and those people brought it back and now the the country is scrambling to see if anyone has it again.

Yung-T and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Hard to tell what’s going to happen in 6-12m but I would bet Taiwan isn’t going to lay down and be back to normal (international travel). They will continue to restrict travel into their country and quarantine them. The alternative is too much death plus a serious lockdown that would tank their economy much more than a typical recession (what they expect as of now). I also think there is a chance for more travel between nations that has contained it well - a smaller global trade among healthy nations if you will, while seriously excluding or limiting travel for ‘unhealthy’ nations.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Teachers fixna QUIT.

LonghornFan and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I believe it's gonna fall on school districts to implement plans that they feel are in the best interest of their students and staff. While he says students are returning to school in the fall, what I'm hearing at the district level is that it entirely depends on Covid. We may start completely virtual, may start in the classroom, but most definitely it'll be a hybrid model. I'd also be shocked if districts didn't mandate PPE for everyone. Since the pandemic started, I haven't been able to enter my school without a temp check and a face mask. The governor can say those things, but reality is far different.

JumpMan likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

School is the one Thing you can do virtually. There’s really no reason to open schools except for parents needing daycare, but that’s on them, and college kids may need hands on activities but those could be delayed until further notice. That’s the last thing I would open up as it’s basically a Petri dish. I reckon the schools need their cash cows, but’s a new world, adapt.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good thread on children and covid:

And another specifically on schools:

#8133 Haymitch, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    FrontRunner and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yeah sure it's on the parents to figure out how to pay people who do not want to watch their kids considering they took work that centered around a public service. Or stay home and go bankrupt.

While we are at it, why don't we just shut down all public roads. Who cares if you need to get to work. Ask @Xerobull to shuttle you back and forth to work in his helicopter.

If people are terrified of this, then they can hide at home.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I pay for school via my taxes so I expect some sort of learning curriculum. However, you're right in that it is a daycare AND they eat there. It's vital to our infrastructure as it is. That said, my wife is a school librarian and she's pretty pissed at the 'it will be safe!' stance TEA is taking with school resuming in August.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Stuff is still fluid with the colleges. Getting notices that Fall classes may be mostly online.

Buck Turgidson and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Greg Abbott be like

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Reddit Texas knows whats up.

Yung-T and Kim like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"It will be safe for Texas public school students, teachers, and staff to return to school campuses for in-person instruction this fall. But there will also be flexibility for families with health concerns so that their children can be educated remotely, if the parent so chooses," said Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath.

How would that work? They got about 6weeks left to figure this out... (they likely won’t )

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Or, mind blower here, they can just have the kids wear masks to keep people a little safer...