1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump To Sign Executive Order On Police Reform

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 16, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Limiting use of deadly force

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The package would create a database to track police officers with multiple instances of misconduct and include language encouraging police departments to involve mental health professionals when dealing with issues of homelessness, mental illness and addiction, a senior administration official told reporters. The order would also use federal grants to incentivize departments to meet certain certification standards on use of force, the official said.

Bolded part is actually important and actionable.

The money part is fine, but it depends on what the certification actually is.

3. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

This seems like a good thing, no?

generalthade_03 likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given that police are not under the federal gov't, I'm not sure what impact this actually has.

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hate incoming in 3...2...1....

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Choke-holds banned except if officer's life is at risk
    Looking at new, advanced less lethal weapons to prevent deadly interactions; cost is no object
    Departments will need to share information about credible abuses so officers with significant issues do not move from one police department to the next
    Direct federal funding to officers dealing with homelessness & mental illness/substance abuse problems
    Provide more resources for social workers who can help manage these complex encounters; will get the best put in our police departments & working with our police
    We will have reform without undermining our LEOs
    Obama & Biden never even tried to fix this; reason is they had no idea how to do it
    Beyond steps we're taking today, working with congress on additional measures
    In order to make real progress, we have to break old patterns of failure; many of the same politicians presenting themselves as the solution are the same ones who have failed for decades on schools, jobs, justice & crime.
    Same politicians running cities/states where help is most needed; it's an attitude and it's not working.
    For last 3 1/2 years, my administrations has been focused on creating opportunity, fighting for equal justice and truly delivering results; no one has delivered results like we've delivered. No one has come close.
    Enacted landmark criminal justice reform; something no one else could get it done; they tried and couldn't come close; we got it done & done powerfully
    Secured permanent & record funding for HBCUs; numbers they never thought were possible
    Expanded affordable options for better health care
    Created opportunity zones with Sen. Tim Scott
    Achieved lowest black, Hispanic, Asian unemployment rates in American history; we'll do it again
    Fighting for school choice
    .... (Missed the rest)

#6 J.R., Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The incentives are financial. Departments would get federal dollars by earning accreditations on meeting training standards.

King1 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think we all know from the Obama years that Executive Orders can be undone, and can be litigated in the courts to death. The change needs to come from legislation out of the House, then to the Senate, then signed into law by the President & enforced by the DOJ on down.

What Trump is doing here is trying to get ahead of the political gains in getting something done faster than the Dems. He knows that an EO is the quickest way to make something look like its happening, but it's not the right way to legilate. It's political theater. If Trump was serious he would have got on the phone with Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, and a few others in Congress to come up with the basic framework for a bill, give the House a couple days to draft, Senate a day or two to debate, and vote, and then have a bill on his desk to sign in a week.

Instead we have a fractured government where the House had a bill that was drafted weeks ago, but the Senate doesn't even acknowledge it's existence, the Senate drafts their own bill that goes nowhere, and the White House just ignores both and trys to play the politics of a solution that really isn't a solution just to control the headlines.

However if Pelosi and McConnell have a non-working relationship to where nothing is getting done then yes... even Trump should be applauded for moving to get something done like Obama did with the Dreamers several years ago. But it's not the way our Democracy is supposed to work.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a positive step. It accomplishes little from a practical standpoint. It probably allows his supporters to rationalize their hatred and claim that they tried.

But I think more positive and the more important take-away is that the public demand from change is significant and can push action.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I thought the president wasn't able to budget in that way and this would require passage from Congress.

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Trump is doing his job to police the police as Commander in chief.

Thought Trump was gonna sign big boss man act 2020.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Everything Trump does is treated so unfairly by the leftist MSM and their hardcore liberal fan base -- just very nasty people. If Trump provided a lifetime supply of organic patchouli to these people they would complain and attack because it wasn't free range.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Didn't want get into this but Trump is racist towards Hispanics. He really hasn't been towards blacks. Honestly I think politically he knows black people will cause more of an uproar if you are racist towards them.

I think politically he knows he has to do something in response to the Floyd death.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a good start and I will give Trump credit for doing something in response to the public outcry. I agree that it is limited but for what is within the President's power to do I think it's a good move.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yeah Im curious about it too. Is this another Trumped up EO that does absolutely nothing? While I dont have unchecked hatred for Trump, is this **** that irritates me about him ... and many other politicians.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Spends two minutes discussing reform........ spends rest of time saying how wonderful he is and how bad Obama and Biden are.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I feel he had no choice given his poll numbers, he needs the talking point to say he did something in speeches. Now he can claim he was the only one who took action to help reform the police.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it helps much but with Trump the bar is pretty low I suppose

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It’s a good approach and I’m glad some of y’all that don’t like Trump acknowledge that so kudos to my left leaning friends

generalthade_03 likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Caption this

[​IMG]

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This completely.

Then we can finally stop waiting with baited breath over what SCOTUS will decide over laws passed from the 70s...

It's these same ****ing yokels who claimed "Founding Fathers designed the government to be slow" that applauded the delay tactics in the Senate to prevent more 70s era legislation from getting passed. Those segregationist ****s.