1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump opposes efforts to remove Confederate commanders' names from military bases

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It is still effective but gets less effective as more old white people die off. It reminds me of gay rights. One day, enough people died off and supporters hushed the bigots.

There are enough people in their 60’s that make it worthwhile to Trump. Still the writing is on the wall.

As for Georgia. A lot of young, well educated people have moved into Georgia. Many of them are white, and there was an assumption they would toe the GOP line... and it isn’t happening. Couple that with a strong and well organized black community and that State is changing.

DVauthrin, Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I’m sure some names some folks like Robert e lee were against slavery, but few of us are AA. I’ve always said it, isn’t it ****ing hurtful to see statues, names of people that believed you were so sub human that you should be enslaved?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah but aren't those people all ready in the Trump camp?

My point is that those adds are not gonna sway anybody at best they will keep up enthusiasm but IMO it will not be enough.

The more I read a watch this Brian Kemp guy is all in on voter suppression since 2018.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/us/politics/governor-brian-kemp-voter-suppression.html

Mr. Kemp’s office purged more than 1.4 million voters from the rolls during his tenure. (States are required to keep their rolls up-to-date and remove people who have moved, but some, including Georgia, have been much more zealous than others, starting the purging process on the basis of a voter not having cast a ballot recently.) And county and state officials closed more than 200 polling places from 2012 to 2018.

I did not know you had to vote at a particular polling place living in a small town for a lot of my life.

I thought the closing were just a slight inconvenience not to this level.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I’ve seen his first round of tv spots and was sort of unimpressed. Touting MAY as an economic success was a head scratcher. I don’t know anyone that’s not in my shoes or worse financially since Covid hit. It was just sort of weird messaging. Bloomberg spent like half a billion on GOOD messaging and it still didn’t get him anywhere.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's the greatest hits from his rallies.

It also becoming very clear he does not very good people running his campaign, not only is his message bland but they look amateurish as well.

Most of his inner circle are just riding the gravy train and add nothing of substance but he probably would not take any good advice anyway.

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are not taking away heritage or freedom that is a moronic comment. These monuments were put there in the 20s by the Daughters of the confederacy to change history, and say the war was about states rights, leaving out that it was about states rights to own slaves.

The even dumber comment is that George Washington owned slaves. Yes, he did, but he was not a traitor to the USA.

Even Robert E Lee knew it, he wanted no awards or recognition for his traitorous behavior.

learn history, stop inane arguments, either be truthful or **** right off.

we have put up with that bullshit long enough, we don’t glorify traitors, you can read about them in history books.

DD

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I would amend it to say "1D" chess but 1 dimension implies equal degrees of freedom along either direction of an axis.

He has...one direction. His decision tree is like, one box, with a line that goes in a half circle from bottom to top.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They should offer to change them to Trump Military Base just to **** with him.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Which side is the KKK? And which side is the Nazis?

10. No Worries

Here is a trick that you might find useful.

if you preface everything that Trump says with ... Wouldn’t it be great if ...

Wouldn’t it be great if Mexico paid for the wall.
    Wouldn’t it be great if May was a great economic month.
    Etc.

11. No Worries

They should rename Ft Hood to whatever Union General kick Hood’s ass in the Civil War.

HillBoy, mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Let's change them to Fort Obama

He might nuke em.

Yung-T, DonnyMost, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are not the confederate states of america. The war for slaves was lost.

It's time these people realize it and stop trying to hold on to symbols of an immoral fight they lost.

14. No Worries

15. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...you know what I think would be helpful?

...(in regards to some white people's fears about their "heritage" being destroyed, I mean?)...

...maybe there should be some stories told of people...white people...who did not adhere to white supremacy...who did not agree with American slavery....who did what they could in the climate they were in to forward the cause of freedom and justice for all.

...maybe replacing Confederate plaster saints with unsung righteous ones would be a step in the right direction...and give white people who want and need heroes something to look up to and aspire to.

There's a lot of things white people can be proud of contributing to American history. There's no need to hide behind a lie and protect it as truth.

AleksandarN, Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There was a time when allowing the citizens of the former Confederacy to celebrate and honor their leaders and heroes was a practical matter.

There was nothing to be gained by essentially crushing their identity and free will. To treat them as an occupied, subjugated nation devoid of agency.

The South would have to reconcile with its own errors, history, and loss through time. Only then could the Union truly be restored and preserved.

However, that time is nearly over. The artifacts of the Confederacy now belong in museums, not in public squares, street signs, and building facades.

This is not about history, it's about our culture and values as citizens. It's time to turn the page... General Lee said it best.

“I think it wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

JuanValdez, RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Wouldn’t it be great if he was a stable genius?

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he should change the name of west point back to fort arnold...lets see how committed fat boy is to this!

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Pentagon blindsided by Trump tweet on bases named for Confederates
    The president differed with Defense Secretary Mark Esper on considering the bases named after Confederate generals.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...ming-army-bases-breaking-with-pentagon-311271

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. No Worries