1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defund the Cops?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

It would be a great coincidence if all the responding officers', and their backups', and their dashboard cams, all failed at the same time.

Also, just another thought: They check the gas in their cruisers before going out, yes? They check their guns? Is it that hard to check a ****ing camera or two?

Answer: it's not. Would take about 3 minutes to test batteries and replace. Should be done every shift.

Nook likes this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Of course. A sgt usually reviews bodycam footages of any significant interactions/arrests. I'm talking about the loan officer on a traffic stop or the first to arrive on scene. If 5 cops show up and all their cameras "failed" they will not be treated nicely by their department.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not too long ago , my wife was executive director of operations with a nationwide insurance carrier and they had been using these "personality tests" to screen potential employee's ..... As a test of their value , she had me take several different tests multiple times each. I was easily able to manipulate any of those tests to give the preferred personality type without fail.

Maybe I'm a complete psychopath ....

Now those tests don't diagnose psychological disorders , just personality types in general .... but the point is they were easy to manipulate and I seriously doubt that police forces are going thru the intensive testing required to diagnose disorders prior to employing people , that's extremely expensive and time consuming. Tho at this point , I think its something we should strongly consider doing , we can't have the wrong people in these positions because these instances have done nothing but divide us.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not treated nicely as in, what? "Gosh darn you rascal! Here is your full paycheck, go home and cool off, MISTER". Seriously...

Invisible Fan and J.R. like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Bingo, and your post is not wrong. We're talking about 2 different things though.

Name a Myers Briggs Type you want me to be and I can do that, for example.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not buying that.

I've got a cheap ass camera system on my house , its battery operated , battery life is 2 years. Damn thing wakes me up in the middle of the night when the neighbors cat jumps my fence. It's never failed ....

Go-Pro are cheap .... and are pretty much bullet proof. I'm sure these police departments are paying a great deal more for their equipment .... I'd expect it to work as well and be just as , if not more durable than a $500 Go Pro.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Depends on the incident. Did someone show up to booking looking like he went 2 rounds with Tyson after all these cameras magically shut off? Then suspensions/firings, criminal investigations, and charges. Someone will rat the others out to save their own skin.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Your security cameras aren't strapped to a person moving around, hopping fences, tackling suspects, pulling people from car fires, etc, etc. Listen to HPD police scanners for a while. You will hear an officer report his camera went out and he's not doing anything or involved in any incident. If he doesn't report the failure and something goes down he will be in trouble.

9. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Did she ended up making you any excellent job offers?

Corrosion likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

For the record critical workers likes LEOs, CPS, APS, nurses, teachers, etc all need significant pay raises to bring in better people. All struggle getting and keeping a quality workforce -- the turnover is a huge problem because of low pay and poor opportunities for advancement. Our nation can handle reasonable cuts to our military (for example) and remain a secure world superpower. I am confident the US can make do without 11 super carrier battle groups and still project power worldwide.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a ridiculous argument with all due respect.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another perspective: defund the cop shows on tv

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Whatever... tell me where this infallible equipment comes from. Someone said every police encounter should be recorded. Not realistic. Equipment fails sometimes. Go ahead, fire a police officer for it... spend 10s of thousands more training a new one.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wolves were turned into dogs in order to protect livestock on farms from other wolves. Dogs became our companions and we love our dogs as part of our family.

But inside every dog is the little remainder of that wolf that his ancestors used to be. Sometimes, if you are too lax too long the dog gets ideas and think they can tell you what's what and run wild and eat all the chickens like a wild wolf would do.

Every once in a while, if you actually value the dog, it's important to remind the dog that he's the dog and not the farmer because at the point that you dont care about the dog, or when the dog becomes more trouble than you can handle you send him to the pound where he will probably be euthanized.

(Honestly, I'd never send any animal of mine to the pound, but I like them more than most people.)

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SEVEN REASONS WHY POLICE ARE DISLIKED:

https://sociological-eye.blogspot.com/2020/06/seven-reasons-why-police-are-disliked.html

excerpt:

[3] Police dislike defiance. Jonathan Rubinstein (1973), a sociologist who joined the Philadelphia police in order to study their everyday life (similar to Peter Moskos in the Baltimore PD 30 years later), found that their number-one priority is to be the person in control in all encounters with civilians. For the most part, a cop is out there alone, or with a single partner; they are almost always outnumbered by civilians. Particularly in areas where they know they are unpopular, they feel it is imperative to not let things get out of control. They want to be the one who starts and ends the encounter, who sets the speaking turns (micro-sociology of conversation), who sets the rhythm of the interaction. Acts of defiance, whether micro-actions on the level of voice and gesture, or more blatant words and body movements, will cause a cop to increase their own aggressiveness in order to maintain dominance (Alpert and Dunham 2004). This a reason why trivial encounters with the police can escalate to violence far beyond what seems called for by the original issue.

[3a] Inner-city black code of the street emphasizes defiance. Elijah Anderson’s ethnography of black street life (1999; also Krupnick and Winship 2015) point out that in dangerous areas, where the police are distrusted, most people adopt a stance of being hyper-vigilant about threats and disrespect, and portray themselves as ready to use violence. Anderson says this is mostly a Goffmanian frontstage, a pretence at being tough designed to avoid being victimized. When dealing with the police, this leads to another vicious circle. Black people, particularly on their home turf, are more defiant of police than are whites; often this is no more than a confrontational way of talking, but these are micro-interactions that arouse police aggressiveness. Anderson notes that one reason people in the ghetto are wary of calling police is that they themselves may end up being arrested, because of the tone of these micro-interactions. Donald Black (1980), who pioneered observer ride-alongs in police cars, found that police arrested black suspects more than whites, but this happened when black people were defiant, which was more often than whites. . . .

[5] Adrenaline overload and forward-panic attacks on unresisting targets. . . . In interviews (reported by Nassauer and others), police say they can see the crowd is divided between peaceful demonstrators and a small number of trouble-makers; but when the situation boils over, the crowd is infected by the violent ones. --This is how the police perceive it; what happens is that the panic of the crowd running away puts the police in an over-the-top rush of adrenaline in which their own perception is narrowed. When police rush forward, they become likely to strike those who have fallen down, or are screaming uncontrollably. The content of what people are saying is lost; all that is heard is the sounds and sights of out-of-control people. Since the police are trained to operate as a unit, officers who rush forward with their comrades tend to imitate what they do; if they are striking someone on the ground, it must be for good reason, and they will join in or protect them.

I have called this “forward panic” because it is like a panic flight where the overwhelming emotion of the crowd increases individuals’ adrenaline level; but in this case, the adrenaline is driving them forward, towards an easy target who have their backs turned, running away or falling down. . . .

[6] Police training for extreme situations. Police training tends to emphasize the worst-case scenarios. Knowing that firing in real-life situations is encumbered by high adrenaline, weapons instructors tell them to aim middle-mass-- the center of the body; don’t try to shoot for extremities like arms or legs (the cowboy movie myth of shooting a gun out of someone’s hand never happens). The result is, police shootings tend to be deadly. Emphasis also is on rapid reaction; in the worst-case scenario, the suspect is armed and dangerous; you have to train your muscle memory to react as quickly as possible. . . .

Another process that enhances the atmosphere of worst-case scenarios is police communications. When police call for backup, they tend to emphasize the danger of the situation. When the call is propagated more widely, the message is propagated just as rumors are: the distinctive elements are dropped out as the message is repeated. A man on a highway overpass threatening suicide by jumping, will get transformed into the cliché-- suicidal and threatening to take someone else with him -- into armed and dangerous. This is how individuals end up getting shot dozens of times by an aroused network of converging cop cars. . . .

Lesson: police training needs to be drastically reformed. And training for police dispatchers, as well as from one police car to another, needs to be instructed on how rumors are formed; and procedures to avoid inflammatory worst-case clichés.

[7] Racism among police. Some cops are racists. How many are there, and what kind of racists they are, needs better analysis. What kind? There is a difference between white supremacists of the pre-1960s period; stereotyping racists who think most black people are potential criminals; situational racists who react to black people in confrontational situations with fear and hostility; casual racists who make jokes. These aren’t insoluable questions; if ethnographers followed people around in everyday life and observed what they talked about and how they behaved in different situations, we would have a good picture. And there still remains the further question, does one or another degree of racism explain when police violence happens?

My estimate is that racism among police is less important a factor than the social conflicts and situational stresses outlined in points [1-6]. To put it another way, if we got rid of racist attitudes, but left [1-6] in place, how much would police violence be reduced? Very little, I would predict.
    more at the link, including suggestions for police reform

Severe Rockets Fan and Corrosion like this.
  16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Defund the police? Perhaps the dumbest idea I've ever heard in my life. If they need reform, then reform them. Defund them? I'm sure that would work out swimmingly in places like the south side of Chicago and Brooklyn.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

Nooooo!

I mean if that was really going to help, obviously, at any cost. I just don't see how, do they mean stop making all crime dramas in general, or just ones that focus specifically on uniformed PD? I just can't wrap my mind around this one.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a good point. People often talk about being sheep or wolves. There is a third way though and that is being a sheep dog. Understanding that your duty is to protect those who can’t.

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard some of Mayor Frey's comments and he's put himself in a really bad spot. I think he truly does believe that there are institutional problems regarding race in LE and that if he wasn't mayor he might be one of those protesting for defunding the MPD. I think this is a problem with having a liberal true believer put into a position of authority and one of the reasons why I politically don't agree with what is considered the progressive agenda. While I think people like Frey are well meaning and do identify many problems I think they have painted themselves in a corner regarding issues that are inherently complicated with conflicting interest groups.

How we deal with the problems with LE is one of those. There certainly are many problems within the MPD especially within blue culture. Getting rid of the MPD though and relying upon some of the solutions proposed, such as community based policing, are going to lead to many and probably greater problems. Looking at my own neighborhood's experiment with community based policing which I have been a part of shows that. Residents often have allowed suspicions to really guide there views with the sometimes comical situation of reporting other neighbors out patrolling as possible suspicious individuals. While thankfully this hasn't led to anything more than some embarrassment and even some shouting it could get dangerous. Also while programs such as drug treatment and poverty fighting programs can help reduce crime those don't address crimes such as a Dylan Roof and bias crimes. There is a large Somali population and a mosque in my neighborhood. Minneapolis based anti-poverty and drug treatment efforts does nothing to address someone coming in and attacking that population. Some people threw a Molotov into a Somali pharmacy last week so this is a very real threat. It also doesn't stop crimes of passion or even the idea that some people for whatever reason or violent. At some level we still need an armed LE ready to deal with these things.