1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't see the mob do anything to him first (although I could be wrong). The first I noticed was him pulling out his bow. He may very well have been scared, but that really isn't the solution when there are thousands of people around you and you aim a bow at them. If they pulled him out of his car then my opinion would change.

Yes, I am glad he did not die as well. I do not want anyone to die from the riots/protests.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’ll tag @ElPigto too

From what I saw maybe he fired , but that was after people had already started rushing at him and people were yelling “**** this guy up”

I saw him draw it a couple of times but I don’t know why , I don’t know if people were throwing things or looked like they were getting ready to .

I think he showed restraint . Just having a weapon escalated the situation and caused one side to aggressive and one side to get scared .

just my two cents

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The authorities are saying the driver of the truck that went into the protest on the 35W Bridge did not do it intentionally. Didn't drive around a barrier intentionally and just panicked which led him into driving into the protest.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

If you want to separate the bowman from the machete wielding guy, that is fine as I don't think it really changes anything. A couple of posters have combined them because they are the two examples of people using weapons other than firearms.

The man was swinging and charging a crowd of people with a machete. The penal code in Texas calls for "immediate necessity by the defender" unless the statute has changed. An argument can be made either way. The machete wielding man could also be facing criminal charges hypothetically.

For the most part the man should be grateful he is alive.

Yung-T, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Very possible. People react differently to stress and what they view as life and death situations.

All things considered he and the protesters are fortunate because he could have easily killed multiple people and likewise he could have been killed.

Yung-T, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Understood and not saying you are wrong. I do not know what had happened 30 seconds before that video was shot.

Also people respond to extreme stress in different ways. There is a good chance he made the decision with the bow at the very last second.

Either way I am glad he is alive.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

These far left Antifa terrorists are in many cases Bernie Bros. Yes?

8. Nook

Nook Member

Dunno. Maybe some of them are Sanders supporters. Some of them could be far right extremists as well or just marginalized Americans.

What I do know is if this is Trump's idea of "Make America Great Again" I want no part of it.

The President has been in office for nearly 4 years and the country is falling apart.

It is time to give someone else a chance to lead, no one can objectively look at the USA and say Trump has been anything but a complete and total abject failure.

Hakeemtheking, Yung-T, Xenon and 4 others like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible. If he was simply driving on the interstate and came across a bunch of people around a curve - he doesn't have a lot of choice on what to do. It takes a long time for a truck to stop from 70 mph - 500 - 600 feet.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There is plenty of view ahead so he should be able to the protesters on the bridge with plenty of stopping distance. He was speeding and reports are that he panicked.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We've just started our third night in a row of a curfew. They did shorten it by 4 hours and currently the freeways are open.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Don't know if this was posted already in one of the other threads but these are the type of people we're having to deal with. He even posted videos on FB of him giving bombs to people and saying he set fire to a Sprint Store.. I'm wondering if it was the one by the Target that was looted the first night of the protest.
    My neighbors have confronted several people in our neighborhood coming from cars with out of state plates carrying backpacks and no good stories of why they were there. There have also been several cars driving around the city with no license plates, different plates front and back, also several license plates have been stolen from cars in the neighborhood.
    https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...in-minneapolis-chicago-george-floyd-protests/
    Illinois Man Matthew Rupert Charged With Rioting, Possessing Explosives In Minneapolis, Chicago George Floyd Protests

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The U.S. Attorney’s office has charged Galesburg, Illinois resident Matthew Lee Rupert, 28, with causing civil disorder, a riot and possessing unregistered explosive devices in an effort to stoke chaos Friday night during protests for George Floyd in Minneapolis.

The criminal complaint says Rupert posted to Facebook Friday, saying, “I’m going to Minneapolis tomorrow who coming only goons I’m renting hotel rooms.” Then Saturday, he posted a cellphone video of himself in Minneapolis, giving out explosive devices to people and pushing for others to throw the explosives at law enforcement. He is also shown in the video damaging property, and engaging in arson and looting businesses.

“They’ve got SWAT trucks up there … I’ve got some bombs if you all want to throw them back,” Rupert said in the video. “Bomb them back … here I got some more … light it up and throw it.”

He is also seen in the video asking people for lighter fluid before he enters a Sprint store.

“I lit it on fire,” Rupert says in the video, before going into an Office Depot and looting merchandise.

On Saturday, Rupert posted to Facebook again, this time looking for people to join him in Chicago for similar activities. He then posted videos early Sunday morning of himself roaming the city with other accomplices.

“Let’s start a riot,” Rupert said in a video. “I’m going to start doing some damage.”

Rupert and his companions were arrested at about 2:21 a.m. Sunday by Chicago police officers for violating curfew. Police found explosives, a flash light, a hammer and cash inside his car.

Anyone with information about people committing similar crimes during protests, including violence, destruction and arson, are urged to called FBI at 1-800-CALLFBI (5324).

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At least 1/3 of America still approve of Trump's MAGAnificent policies.

****ers really want that Great Wall.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Cuomo and DeBlasio would rather let NYC burn to the ground than call The National Guard

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Wow.

Shoot to kill.

They need to announce that anyone laying hands on a cop will be shot with lethal force, as will anyone entering a store that is being looted or broken into.

Easy in theory. Hard in practice. People need to learn to go home though.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Anyone looting or entering a store should be killed? Is that really what you’re saying?

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the videos and the ones that showed the truck in full motion showed he stopped after about 5 truck lengths. Given it takes about 10 it means he must have been braking hard already for at least a few hundred feet and only the tail end was captured on video.

I'm not saying he didn't mess up - just that I am not sure you can make a case that he intentionally was trying to scare or get close to protestors.

I went into google maps and moved it 600 ft from the overhead sign where the protests were - (the point at which he'd need to react to what he was seeing and apply the brakes to reach a full stop by the time he got to the green high sign in the distance) - this is the view and you can see how hard it is to read a sign from 600 feet away even:

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 1.02.40 AM.png

#458 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    RayRay10, Yung-T and JumpMan like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is a note that one of my friends found in his mailbox.
    [​IMG]

RayRay10, Yung-T and Nook like this.
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Disgusting. I hope you and your friend stay safe.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.