1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

White House Exploring Genius New Economic Plan: More Stimulus...by cashing in your Social Security

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, May 11, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oh yeah. I mean I think especially considering Biden likely has limited funds to blast TV ads (in comparison to Trump or Bloomberg) it would be best to save every dollar for TV and internet ad buys in September - October for sure where he can run on "Trump is suing in court to take away pre-existing conditions with no replacement plan." etc.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. dobro1229

Serious question - Does Trump not know his own age?

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tough to say....but it is a right-wing fever dream.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Cashing in early ya say?

Sign me up its my money I need it now$
    [​IMG]

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This is just one first person account, but I had to be rushed to the ER a couple weeks ago for a health condition not related to COVID-19. I was shocked by what I saw. It was a ghost town, basically empty. Nobody waiting, just a bunch of staff and a ton of precautions, but it was nothing like the horror stories you hear on the news. Again, this was one hospital, in one specific area of the country, but at the same time it made me question a lot of the narrative going around.

Regardless of what you think about him, it is pretty clear the mainstream media/dems are using the pandemic as a conduit to launch assertions of incompetence against Trump. Pushing that he has handled it poorly, and saturating the TV and internet with horror stories about the virus. It's unfortunate really, because it's created a situation of desperation and fear rather than reasonable thinking and proper precautions. It's why we ran out of hand sanitizer and TP...instead of properly quarantining everyone and their moms rushed to the store in a frenzied attempt to stock up, and we likely had a major transmission point for the virus when people did that. A lot of this could have been avoided/curbed in a more orderly fashion.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  6. dobro1229

So you think 75,000 people really haven’t died? Let’s leave the politics aside and just talk facts.

I assume you live in the Houston area? There has been a very low number in Houston and surrounding areas because of an array of factors (single family homes, etc).

However that doesn’t mean your experience and frankly OUR experience in Texas is the reality for people in different parts of the country.

I’ve had friends get the virus in Florida and they said it was a nightmare. I have a friend who has it now in the Austin area and I have two friends... one who has lost his mom and one who lost their grandma. And that’s Texas and Florida who have largely been spared the numbers of NY or other hard hit areas.

Look I would just ask that you separate the politics of Trump with the facts about the pandemic. The fact is this is a real virus. You should use common sense when going out and PLEASE be respectful for others when out. Don’t be a sh$tty person who mocks people wearing face masks and would hope you could do the homework to realize smart measures like that aren’t hurting your freedoms by doing so.

On Trump if you think CNN and MSNBC are too nit picky about blaming Trump for his incompetence guess what.... that has nothing to do with the facts of the virus itself and what you should do as hopefully a respectful person, and I’m sure you realize that CNN and MSNBC are two cable stations... there are about a million other billionaire funded right wing Trump loving media sources who will tell you he sh$ts gold if that’s what you want to hear.

The whole complaining about the media thing is a snowflake move. I’m flooded with right wing media daily... or hourly for that matter. I have zero patience for Trump fans (not necessarily saying that’s you) who constantly whine about the media. The right has all the Trump favorable media they could ever dream of and they still b**** and moan and whine constantly about it. Give it a break snowflakes.

The “media is too hard on Trump” reality has nothing to do with the facts about Covid 19, and I just wish people did a better job of calling out that conflation with a purpose.

#26 dobro1229, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  7. STR8Thugg

Never once did I say that. If you are going to jump down my throat and just ignore what I wrote there is no point in discussing it.

8. STR8Thugg

I'm fully aware of this. As I stated, it was just one experience in one specific part of the country at one specific time. Obviously some hospitals have been overrun. I do not believe it to be as bad as stated publicly though.

Anyway, was just posting a tidbit of my own personal experience. It wasn't a manifesto on the subject. Have a good day.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. dobro1229

It's less about you than it is about breaking through this narrative that has spun out of control since about mid April that you alluded to which I feel is very destructive to the actual covid response (frankly on purpose by the right media billionaires who are motivated to open up the economy regardless of death).

I just ask that smart people separate the facts with the whole "media is mean to Trump" narrative that leads to conspiracy theories about how the Democrats and the media created the virus to destroy Trump's presidency. When that narrative sets it, it then makes Covid responses, and common sense heath & safety measures partisan and divisive. Facemasks shouldn't be used as a liberal tag like Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin are pushing for it to be.

For the record, I actually think Gov Abbott's rules for Texas soft re-opening are relatively smart, and hope that we can maintain low numbers with a soft re-opening. I do not care for his politics and especially the politics of the attorney general who is a hack. It was a smart move for Abbott to in the beginning adhere to the Trump admin guidelines of the 15 day stay at home order so we didn't overwhelm our hospitals, and it's smart now to see about a push/pull process for trying to save small businesses while maintaining low levels of Covid cases. He is wrong though about testing, but I tend to believe he's working closely with the big hospitals to track cases to get a good idea of infection level without testing.

However here in Texas.... what I see is people not adhering to even Abbott's rules, and partisanship is displayed by an F-you attitude by the FoxNews crowd who are out in about and that's a shame. You want to see what I'm talking about... go to Home Depot right now. Common sense is out the window now that politics has infected the way people react to the reality and facts of the pandemic. CNN and MSNBC being over-dramatic about the virus isn't an excuse for the right wing billionaire funded media to create this dangerous and divisive narrative that you shouldn't even wear a mask just to own the libs, and spreading conspiracy theories about whether the virus is even real.

edwardc, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of all the Google key works that are most expensive to advertise with, "structured settlement" is near the top of the list, near things like mesothelioma. At one time, if you Googled "structured settlement" and clicked on the link, each click cost the advertiser something like $40, IIRC.

Theres good money in predatory lending. Crazy that the US Government is looking looking to get into that business. Not too long ago, it was expected that they'd protect us from the vultures. Now they are the vultures.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

haha well to be fair the old man does have great hair

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Thank you for having the courage to speak your truth. You are exactly right. We stand shoulder to shoulder in accuracy, integrity, and honesty.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

My dude, he does have excellent hair! I like his eye/mouth intensity as well. Strong pose.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol assertions of incompetence is a good phrase

It's like if you inject bleach, you get assertions of deadly poisoning!

Anyway you can pick up your social security final payout at the Republican National Convention in Charlotte this summer. See you there!

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. STR8Thugg

First of all, way to have a hysterical, overreaching reaction. Secondly, I think you took a small excerpt from what I said and jumped to radical conclusions... I am not a Trump supporter, but I understand blind mudslinging when I see it. It happened to Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. etc. etc. as well. My entire point in the second paragraph was that the media made it worse for us because of a clear attempt to garner hate and gain support for Democrats. The political party system is a huge flaw in our government, and it will eventually lead to our demise. This is just the latest example of frank idiocy permeating through the entire media. And yes, Fox News does nobody any favors. I'm not just picking on CNN and MSNBC. There are a ton of very uneducated people in the US, and shock journalism didn't help the fight against COVID-19.

17. STR8Thugg

Again you are jumping to radical conclusions in the first two paragraphs. You don't have to go internet warrior on me to set the record straight. I expected a mass exodus of people from their homes flocking to the ER, overrun beds, people coughing, sick everywhere. Saw none of that. No this isn't Oregon, California, New York, New Orleans... I get that. Some places are worse than others.

I still contend (not just from that experience) that the hospitals being overrun argument is a bit overblown and is being used as a scare tactic. I am not in favor of people "pushing back against the man" and congregating in groups. I just don't think fear tactics and misleading imagery ever leads to desired ends. Say someone went to the hospital that was less educated, no experience in the field. They might actually come away thinking the entire thing is a total sham... tell their friends...So on and so on. And that is not a result anybody is looking for.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If that's a hysterical overreaction to injecting bleach, inject away my dear friend.

Seem like the BBS is overrun by "not Trump supporters" who have the unique ability to see through "the media" using magical joseph smith plates and old episodes of Joe Rogan's podcast in combinatoin with their Prager U phd. And then, kaboom, here's the twist ending, their policy preferences and their triangulation between **** and not **** ends up in a lonely MAGA circle venn diagram.

That's bot supposed to happen!

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. STR8Thugg

I didn't say that's an overreaction to injecting bleach. I was talking about your social security comment. It's as if you like arguing just for the sake of it. I'll remove myself from your comments then. But that's okay, you're definitely smarter than everyone and I bow to your clairvoyance on all subjects. May the King reign for 1000 years!!!

20. STR8Thugg

Geez you have 48000 comments... Get a job, get a life. That explains a lot.