1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

calvin murphy says he doesnt particularly like the nba game today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim petersen84, May 3, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

With his hand eye coordination, and work ethic I believe Murphy would develop a very good three point shot.

D-rock, kjayp and Easy like this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Hardens whole thing is to lull the defender and the fan to sleep, but hey..it works.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Dexler would be suspended for putting his knees up in a defenders face on his dunks these days. Can't take a charge when you're afraid of those knees as deadly as Dikes elbows.

As far as big men not developing. They just all want to be guards. They always have. It's just back then, no one let them handle the ball or shoot the ball outside. Now they're free to do whatever they want and will choose the guard life over taking a beating in the post any day. The only way we will ever see the return of dominant post players is if another Wilt/Shaq comes along and just dominates inside and teams have to counter and young bigs grow up idolizing that next Wilt/Shaq and try and emulate him. Then the next Giannis will develop as a Hakeem instead of trying to be a point guard with subpar handles.

jim1961 likes this.
  4. SemisolidSnake

I miss blocks. Today's game is so emasculated by "taking the charge" being the new norm for defending the rim. Whether it's a legit charge or a shameful flop, it's completely lacks the visceral intensity and awe of actually contesting a shot. Watching all these old videos made me realize how much I miss that. And not just because we had the greatest shot blocker in the history of the game on our team. Everybody was trying to contest shots back then. Now, it's become a game of trying to erase the shooter. Maybe a lot of it is "smart," but who would you rather lionize in this sport? The iconic big men swatting down all challengers or the Derek Fishers and Manu Ginoblis of the world weaseling fouls instead of defending?

To me, taking charges is the ugliest part of the game today and has been for decades.

D-rock likes this.
  5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

The problem is that even Hakeem had a career 2-point field goal percentage of 51.2%, equivalent to shooting 34% from 3. Tim Duncan 50.9%, David Robinson 52%. Shaq and Kareem at outliers - but even Shaq is matched in inefficiency by the equivalent of shooting 37.1% from 3, just above average.

What I'm trying to get at is you need a once in a lifetime generational talent to justify using them as a go-to post-up scorer, and even then the overall benefit is murky. Serious changes are needed to bring other dimensions of offense back to relevancy. Perhaps these post-scorers efficiency is much higher w/ the spacing of today, to your point. But that seems like a tough assumption for a team to bank their future on.

I'd also imagine most bigs growing up today are focusing on being versatile and able to stretch the floor. I think it will be a while and require rule changes before we even return to a focus on the post.

D-rock likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Those guys didnt play in todays game where most of the opposing defenders are near the 3 point line. Those guys faced double and triple teams on a regular basis. Where is the help coming from in the post in todays game? What was the shooting % of those guys when facing single coverage? A lot higher I imagine.

#66 jim1961, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Clyde would be a max player in today's NBA. Sour grapes, maybe?

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

LeBron, Harrison Barnes, Carmelo. Zion Williamson, Leonard, and Paul are last great post players in the west.

I'm sure Calvin murphy has lost hope on lamarcus Aldridge, haseem tabeet, and nerlen noel.

God speed nba, rockets worldwide!

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Calvin Murphy ought to be pleased by heroics of danuel house.

Danuel house was a true professional unlike DeAndre Hopkins of the Texans for sure.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Rudy T was a pioneer in using four shooters to space the floor for Hakeem.

D-rock likes this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Calvin Murphy can work with Isiah hartenstein.

Calvin Murphy training hartenstein might get hartenstein out of Rio grande valley like danuel house.

God speed rockets, worldwide, and hartenstein.

13. MystikArkitect

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ive been re-watching every game from 1986 that I can find and I dont recall a single one where 4 guys were positioned consistently on the 3 point line. Thus, Hakeem was constantly double and triple teamed as already pointed out.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I meant 94-95. Ive been watching a lot of 1986 as well.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Shaq used to charge like every other play imo... He'd lower his shoulder, bang into the defenders chest (knocking the defender back a couple feet or more) and then have room to bring the ball around and up for a dunk...
    those were the most flagrant push offs (or 'creating space') of all time - but bc he used his shoulder instead of his hand or forearm it rarely got called...

D-rock likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We need to promote calvin to the coaching staff .

you gotta zig when others zag . Everyone is goings 3’s and layups now . The only teams that aren’t desperately trying to do that are the ones whose roster construction is unfortunate right now .

you gotta be thinking of the next step . What’s the next evolution . Obviously to get better at the suboptimal shots that opposing defenses are going to try to force you to take. Who better to teach you how to maximize the value of your tough shots than a 5’7” dude who shot 50% from the floor ?

D-rock likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Best question ive seen here in a while. While not an answer, it will come from a team that is willing to try new things. The Rockets ARE such a team. The jury is still out to whether their version will work well enough that the rest start to emulate it. They would have to prove it via winning a championship or two or three, probably. Or, the NBA brass will change the rules, making current iterations obsolete while opening the door for new ones.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This is not surprising. I have vivid memories of Calvin Murphy lamenting the lack of midrange jump shot of Rockets players in the 90s. He doesn't say it anymore obviously but I'm sure he misses it.

Personally I'm torn. I love the threes, they are awesome. And I love the spacing they provide, it leads to more awesome dunks than ever. But sometimes I get that feeling like when its my birthday and I let myself have too much cake and I feel sick. And then the next day I have the leftovers and overeat and feel sick again. Can everything be the apex, and then is it still an apex? At the same time, we can't go back to how it was, I'd be bored to tears. Lastly, I'm a huge Rockets fan, and know basketball more than the average person, but I'm average among basketball fans, if that makes sense. The new game is so fast that my mind can't process it unless I'm paying absolute attention. People come away after game saying, oh Harden sucked on D, or he locked down, or PJ Tucker saved us, etc, etc., but honestly unless it was an on ball action, the offball stuff happens so fast now I can't process it unless I rewind. Does that make me an old 35 year old? I don't know.

I'm not against Harden's stepback though. To me it makes him Hakeem's successor. Legacy of bigs right? How about legacy of footwork? Harden is just doing it from further out. It's like if you did a dream shake except from behind the three point line. That's super impressive. The fouls though...even the biggest Harden fan can't say that's fun to watch. I dont' blame him, I think they are fouls, and I'm glad he gets them, but it's definitely not a great watch.

Rant over.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Doesnt Westbrook lead League in at the basket points/attempts?

Rockets also lead League in most 3's (attempted and made).

That is balance.

Now the defense is another story.