1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We have clearly gave up on containment. We are looking for some baseline, acceptable level of Covid19 death per day - basically mitigation - because of the economy. If we were actually serious about containment, we would have started weeks ago on ramping up testing, having a federal and state level for mass and fast testing, tracing and isolation as a min. That hard work didn't happen and there is no more patient to get there.

Texas wise, we are basically at a "plateau" or on a slow decline, with some regions not having many cases, some clearly declining and some hot spots with cases doubling every 5 days.

Cokebabies likes this.
  2. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

This is puzzling. Why not let them open at reduced capacity like restaurants?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes, I'm tired of people like Fertitta and Dan Patrick telling us people that make $3/hr want to go back to work.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because hair stylists weren't included on the STRIKE FORCE (lulz), like the restaurant-mafia jabroni yall love so much was.

Nook and sammy like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

well the level of required distance between you and your barber is pretty close as well as actual physical touch. at least there's a level of caution there.

FTR: Georgia's plan started already last fri and looks to pretty much be in the opposite order with gyms/barbershops opening first

sammy likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well it's not even $3. It is 2.13 per hour after taxes probably .50-.75 and then for whatever amount of sales you have you have tip out anywhere from 2-4%. And if the places are slow. I dunno man this is going to be a difficult time for restaurants. Extremely difficult.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not to interrupt policy, but on the virus front: science is going to have some good drug announcements later this week, I believe. That's my understanding. Fingers crossed.

(Mandatory Burt Steele pic, but holding beaker instead of beer)

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm okay with re-opening. It's wishful thinking that we can just keep doing this stay at home deal without impacting the economy further. Life is not about money, but ultimately we can't squeeze everyone so tight that they can't breathe.

Texas has managed to have hospital capacity to open up in phases. I do give props to state leaders for being patient and not wanting to open the floodgates. We do have some shortcomings as a nation in regards to testing, which would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable about this, but I have no issue proceeding forward with this plan. With that said, I will continue to social distance and will not be eating at restaurants. I'll keep supporting my local businesses by buying beer and ordering out, but I may be a little more cautious where I go.

Unfortunately people are careless and I do expect people to forget social distancing. We can only take care of ourselves, so I'll do the best I can to do just that.

Hakeemtheking and YOLO like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

until you Photoshop your avatar over Burt Steele's face on that infamous pic, no one will believe you.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My main issue with slowly reopening is that I think many people will do the "slowly" part as fast as they can. Already, I'm seeing more people at playgrounds.

That said, I don't know what anyone can do about that. It's just how humans are, imo.

Me and the fam still be social distancing for the time being. I'm not sure what would make me feel ok to start going to stores again or sending my kids to daycare again, but I do know I'm not at that point yet. Also still not yet comfortable seeing my parents or in-laws, who are all in the at-risk age range. Sucks because after 40+ days with the kids there's nothing I'd rather do than dump them off somewhere for a week... but oh well.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I kinda look at contracting this as an inevitability. At the same time I'd rather get this virus months, if not a year from now when we have a much better idea of effective medical treatment absent a vaccination. Less concerned with dying even though that's a risk and more concerned with long term breathing complications affecting the rest of my quality of life. It's not fun walking around with an oxygen tank and struggling to do basic chores that knock you on your butt for the rest of the day. I've seen that life. No thank you.

Nook, malakas and B-Bob like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So will Black Widow open when theaters open? An appropriate movie title for what can happen.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Hypothetically, if we had the collective fortitude to nationally shut-down hardcore style for 3 weeks, wouldn't this have been close to being over in 3 weeks? Half measures just ruined everyone's patience and dragged this thing out unnecessarily.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Why open movie theaters when there's nothing to actually screen?? And I'll be curious to see how they adjust. Perhaps a greater shift toward waiter style theater experiences like Alamo. At the very least, I think they'd need to eliminate self-serve stations. Same for restaurants too.

Just got an email today that my son's little league is looking to restart the season. They were following the school district's guidelines, but because school is closed for the year now, they decided to follow city and state policy instead. It's like they're trying to find a narrative to justify playing again. So possibly mid-May to resume league games. I don't know about that...

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If we don't open. we'll never open America again. if we keep closing, people will become desperate and we would see Grand Theft Auto type crimes. Crime is going to back up again because people need money now. Luckily a lot of banks are still closed, or you would see a lot of bank robberies. And I'm betting the flu cases for 2020 went down because doctors linked them to it. My friend who leads a lab team in FDA in Washington told me that the COVID 19 test is not totally accurate. To be totally clear, you have to do it twice. I'm very glad to see at least more than 1/2 of the people wearing masks in Houston and 100% at work. And the toll road needs to start charging, I've been seeing too many 18 wheelers and wreckless maniacs without toll tags.

#6915 bloodwings19, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  16. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Black Widow has been moved to November 1st

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It was never going to go away. They've found infected can spread the virus for weeks after recovery. The whole goal was to not overload the hospital system.

The only way life will go back to normal is when there's an effective treatment, a vaccine is developed, or everyone has contracted the virus.

No Worries likes this.
  18. B-Bob

what do I know but if you just don’t let them sit shoulder to shoulder in the dugout, it could be fairly safe, especially if they could wash their hands often and avoid spitting all over the place.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't get this either. If they say restaurants without waiters, then it's consistent (but I don't think they make that distinction). Maybe they figure waiters time with customers is brief compared to how long it takes to cut hair.

20. B-Bob

yeah, cutting hair is about the most intimate non-prostitution interaction a person can have. You're within a foot of a person for 20-30 minutes or whatever, and the barber/hairdresser is in the same proximity to lots of other people.

Sajan, conquistador#11 and Amiga like this.