1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Like Texas, Sweden didn't take social distancing seriously

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Senator, Apr 18, 2020.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm just looking at deaths per capita, where there's about 7 others higher than them to-date

2. Senator

Senator Member

Sweden's trajectory is still heading up due to a later onset (isolation). In fact there's a spike every 3-4 days.

Show me the trajectory of the other countries - the Italy's and Spain's are much smoother in how their curves are flattening because it went from no care at all to quarantine overnight when bodies were on the hospital floors.

Apples to orange comparison.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

great, so maybe make this thread after the evidence is there and not what you project/want it to become?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah. I'm just saying most comparisons look at starting dates. Whether you do total or per capita, the point is not all outbreaks start on the same calender date, so you compare via each country's starting point, because each start and peak is different.

fwiw: I didn't make up comparison by normalizing starting dates. So, I would say you're not comparing apples to apples, since Sweden had a late starting date (based on 20th death).

#24 heypartner, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    pippendagimp likes this.
  5. Senator

Senator Member

I don't think you've been to open spaces and parks where plenty of people (strangers, not those who arrived together) are following that. Trips inside grocery stores or even a target, where they have 6 ft barriers, show people brushing up against one another and even talking when they aren't in those areas. Plenty are not taking it seriously ONCE they are outside in Texas, so the whole go ahead by the Governor earlier than expected isn't going to help that.

6. Senator

Senator Member

No, it serves as a warning to take social distancing seriously. The evidence is very clear whether you want to listen to Dr. Fauci, international organizations or pandemic experts - we are not at the point to let up on social distancing. It is far more effective than vaccines. Maybe stop hoping others die so you can get a few extra bucks?

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i get your point completely, but it's still difficult to project out, especially w/ the situation being different than those countries w/ full lockdowns. for instance the virus may have already spread through sweden's population for all we know

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

first of all, WTF is your statement about getting a few extra bucks related to? hoping people die?

9. Senator

Senator Member

Yeah, the whole we need money at the expense of the hospital system, and those in the frontlines, is a convenient card to play by pippendagimp and his ilk. But for those of close to actual healthcare workers or with them in our family, we see the same story playing out across the world. I'm fine with the slow transition to a moving economy happening in May, but it's way to early to start Monday in Texas. The majority of people will not follow instructions 100% of the time once they are out and about. Just look at this thread - people are angry because they feel their liberties are being threatened.

malakas likes this.
  10. Senator

Senator Member

It's referring to opening up on Monday because of the "all clear." NY thought they were fine when things were only happening in Italy and Spain. The body count slowly but surely gets to every area that doesn't social distance sufficiently - half of April is not sufficient.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

@Senator appears to be the BigBum of the Hangout, devoid of a cerebral synapse. Sweden's public health agency has chosen their strategy, not their finance minister smh

daywalker02, robbie380 and YOLO like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

You mean like comparing Sweden to Texas?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely appears that way

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Have you considered that Denmark and Norway also don't have perfect 100% compliance and that's not abnormal or a sign of failure?

15. Major

Major Member

Why is May appropriate but April 20th isn't? What will be the impact of to-go retail and elective surgeries being allowed? How will that reshape the curve? And if it's deadly now, why won't it be that way in a few weeks?

The Cat likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

weird. Not sure how I even saw the thread then?

everything is breaking down. LOL.

17. Senator

Senator Member

This is a lesson in crowd psychology. An extra 2-3 weeks gives you the time needed to slow the spread and get hospitals equipment needed. Imagine if NY started with the social distancing before the Italy death count was shooting up instead of after it. Corona was never supposed to take off in Texas in April, it was always a May (mid to late) thing where the severity would peak. This is established from the space between Italy's peak, to NY's peak (on the coast at travel hub) to the midwest's peak, where it would be last. Follow trend of deaths - not infected cases as let's be honest..... many are astmpotatic, many will never be tested, many are yet to be infected.

Another issue is the stigma- there's been a well, it's not so bad here and won't hurt us attitude in texas, when we haven't even reached may (which timeline wise, is when things started picking up in NY). I would rather be overcautious throughout the month instead of pretending like NY is on the same schedule as the midwest.

Of course, Texas has a lot of fat people. Corona likes fat people and hurts them the most.
    I'm asking you to be the adult. Save lives when everyone else wants to line their pockets. You can't pay rent when you're in a body bag.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I consider these people mass murderers.
    Worse they are killing people that they have sworn to protect. Who trust them.

It's one thing to not have the knowledge. To not have the resources.
    But to have both and still choose to kill thousands of the most vulnerable is a crime against humanity.

I am against the death penalty but not for crimes against humanity.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

but the jury is still out on how their strategy will play out, especially considering their chief goal is to avoid any subsequent corona waves in the autumn or thereafter. and they did make enforcements like isolating the elderly & vulnerable, restricting incoming air travel, closing secondary schools & universities, shutting down the trains for periods.

they didn't have extended mandatory lockdowns & social distancing but did continually recommend them as voluntary measures. the fact that movie theatre revenue is down 90% there indicates people did heed these requests to some degree.

these decisions could all blow up in their face and they have even admitted such, but i think we still have to wait and see what actually happens, at least till the end of this year

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sweden will learn a lesson here but I think they are relatively lucky they are not England.

The death rate will rise though.

Good news for them their economy won't be hitting a wall.

Mass murderers? France is having a lockdown, people were still dying in nursing homes.

The grim reaper is everywhere you do not sense him.

#40 daywalker02, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020