1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

more dummies. the selfish generation

Sir Geving likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats already 5% of the force and that number is going to rise. It ought to be legal to just be able to shoot some of these idiots calling in for some of the dumbest reasons.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I saw these idiots when I passed on my bike this past weekend. I wanted to go say something, but I figured I'd end up exchanging words and just decided to keep riding.

6. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The Netherlands and Sweden were going to do this too and reversed course at the last minute.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Popularity doesn't mean job well done. Trump still had good acceptance numbers up till recently, folks were reporting that.
    Both were late to implement measures, Trump being a 70-80 year old, I can understand he isn't the fastest.

The US and UK with MI 6 have the best intelligence services, at least by name, now this is exploding in both countries.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If the social distancing works (not looking great atm from people partying in the park)... But depending on the final R0 value will give you an estimate of the % of the population that will need to have gotten it or need to be vaccinated to reach the herd immunity level and prevent spread.

Like you mentioned, assuming rapid antibody testing and they can determine who's had it and built an immunity but not contagious would be able to return to work/public... But right now, the numbers I've seen are like 60-80%+ need to get it... Fortunately it's not measles that requires like a 95% rate but it's a lot higher than the normal flu that's like 30%~ (so get it or Vax and 30% is nothing, hence why everyone's always stating "I don't need the flu vax I'm immune" - no.... It's because it wasn't that contagious that year and everyone else got the vaccine to slow/stop the spread - assuming the strain was correct based on flu models) - depending on the season etc. (it can go higher but is low) - unfortunately R0 won't be settled for covid until the testing amount is done in high volumes.

The idea that would probably work best is continue to limit rapid spread and then somehow control the amount of virus someone gets, the problem is when people are not social distancing that the viral load can even hurt young people in some cases. Like right now, unless you're working in the health field only go to the hospital if you have trouble breathing, because going with the R0 all over the place will almost guarantee you'll get it there.

Then drug treatments/plasma therapy would be sooner answer than vaccine (assuming currently marketed drugs work and have off label use). The main idea is to just keep anyone older/health issues inside until proper % has gotten it.

I also think, assuming PPE/masks become available, even basic masks might help limit spread further - and cdc/gov is discussing that.

Regardless though R0 is very simple measure and there may be further unknowns we don't know like mutations or long-term impact on health.

So... Regardless a mess no matter how you look at it... But current end of April date is going to have to be curbed

Houstunna likes this.
  9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

If more than 30% or 50% of NYPD gets infected, do they call in the National Guard to enforcethe law? The military? Marshall law? Then our military forces run a risk.

Mazulis and Nook like this.
  10. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

That's a possibility! (not necessarily in Sweden but who knows) Some of the earliest infected people in Wuhan had no connection to the wet market so that's always been a big question mark. A team of international scientists just published a study 2 weeks ago about COVID19. Among their findings:

- One possibility is that COVID19 has existing in humans for longer than we think, and it mutated/evolved into the super contagious form that we see today.
    - COVID19 is 96% similar to coronaviruses (CV) found in bats in the China region. However, the CVs found in bats so far, do not have the same binding ability to humans so it is unlikely COVID19 came straight from bat to human.
    - COVID19 also has similarities to CV found in pangolins found in Malaysia but they lack the same design to make the virus super virulent so it is unlikely COVID19 came from the pangolins they have studied. It is possible there is some other type of intermediary animal that originated COVID19 and it simply hasn't been found yet.
    - The way COVID19 is constructed, it is improbable that it was man made in a lab because it is designed in a way that doesn't build on anything previously studied or documented. For example, if someone wanted to make something similar to COVID19, there are much easier and more efficient ways to build such a virus. Genetic manipulation of an existing virus has also been ruled out.

I don't have a science background so if anyone who does, wants to breakdown anything I missed and misinterpreted, please feel free.

Here's the report for you science nerds:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

#5110 Cokebabies, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

The remix made my day. Thank you kindly. :cool:

Houstunna and TMac'n like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's just insane.

Good thing the streets are empty.

13. Buck Turgidson

Meanwhile, in Austin:

Around 70 people in their 20s are under investigation in Austin, Texas, for possible infection with the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 after they chartered a plane for a vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, last month. At least 28 of the passengers from that flight have tested positive for the coronavirus, with dozens more tests pending.

All of the people who have tested positive are students at the University of Texas at Austin, according to member station KUT. They are currently self-isolating. Of those 28 cases, four people did not show any symptoms of COVID-19, health officials said.

In another worrying detail, health officials say that some members of the spring break party returned to Austin on separate commercial flights — widening the potential spread of infection.

A university spokesperson said the trip is believed to have taken place from March 14 to March 19. The group returned to the U.S. a day before the federal government advised U.S. citizens not to travel abroad.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-spring-break-plane-to-mexico-now-have-corona

AroundTheWorld, malakas and Mango like this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

They just need Mayor Turner to ask the criminals to take off for a few weeks. :rolleyes:

Bandwagoner likes this.
  16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

17. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Here’s one way to take a break from all the madness...

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Some of the 70 will be independently on their own, but the majority are getting some if not all of their monetary needs covered by family. The same can be said for the Spring Breakers that went to Padre Island, Florida beaches etc.

Either the families paying for the lifestyles of the college kids aren't interested in keeping them under control or the families are financing the lifestyles even when the college kids are going against the wishes of their elders.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two more friends have test positive for COVID-19 -- fortunately they're recovering at home with very mild symptoms.