1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

• Plastic cover : Wuhan
    • Exchange pump : Northern Italy
    • Sensor and prop: Germany
    • Software :South Korea
    • Tubes :Wuhan again
    • Assembly: dense factory in Mexico
    • Stickers: Detroit
    • Custom aftermarket chrome set : Dallas

Nook, jboslett, I am a Donut and 2 others like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wearing gloves does nothing if you touch your face.

The virus is still spread everywhere you touch.

Second thought: Perhaps wearing gloves helps remind not touching your face. There's that factor at least.

Yung-T, CCity Zero and Jontro like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

They found the virus in the feces but they haven't checked for antibodies yet. However this cat showed symptoms whereas the HK dogs did not.
    IMO it's only a matter of time till they find antibodies in the cat.

But it doesn't mean it will be widespread, just an accidental spillover- like it happened in China's wet market at the expense of humankind.

This virus is too jumpy. 3 species in 2 years is enough for the b*stard how many it wants to infect?

Mazulis and CCity Zero like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

I too. I am a Rammstein fan for almost 20 years. Tell me one song that they said anything racist.

They even depicted Germania as a black woman and they as German Jews getting hanged by the Nazis.

What a masterpiece btw.

Nook, Mazulis, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Looks like the best way to find the true mortality and RO of this virus is Iceland
    https://www.covid.is/data

This will be a long drawn project. Everyday they keep finding hundreds of infected even though they have implemented some containment measures.

But so far it looks about 50-50 women to men ratio.

Which is different from almost everywhere else. Which means that not only it is more lethal to men but also that there are more asymptomatic women- because almost everyone else only tests symptomatic cases.

It also looks like for every official death, the true number of cases isn't x10 but about x 500!
    Lower mortality rate for now..but we will see because most of these people haven't recovered yet. It's not over until it is over.

Mazulis and CCity Zero like this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

I didn't want to highjack what's thread so I quoted it here..it's not about lawsuits at this point.
    We have to understand that even if we keep lock down for months, there will be a second peak in the winter.

So after the first wave passes every country MUST make sure there are adequate ventilators and masks to face the second peak.

A lot of industries will be devastated anyway in the coming months..it is time for humanity to focus on producing medical equipment, because this will be a long drawn war.

Mazulis, Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Those numbers shock me. Iceland is such a tiny country, with a total population of only 365,000. Amazing looking people living in what you would think is an isolated island. They are technologically advanced, highly educated, have a high standard of living, and some of the world’s best looking women. ;-)

I went there on the way to Europe in 1971 while flying Icelandic Air, which had the best fares at the time. New York to Luxembourg, with a stopover in Iceland. Left Houston in early March on one of those sunny days that makes that time of year feel like it’s late spring. Iceland was cold, but also sunny during my short stay. Landed in Luxembourg and it was snowing like crazy! Iceland still has a lot of visitors on their way to somewhere in Europe using discounted fares even today, that stay a little while and take a look at a really unique little country. It’s beautiful and so are the people. I’m sorry to hear that even they are getting hit pretty hard by the Coronavirus, if you consider how few live there.

Richie_Rich, Mazulis, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think the cleanest countries are getting killed the most. Those peoples immune system aren't built like the poor countries.
    I was expecting Corona to go ham in Mexico due to their shitty insufficient healthcare system but it's unlikely.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is this true or just conjecture?

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Perhaps it is because some countries have more people per capita with high levels of disposable income that can afford cruises, extended travel etc while relatively poor countries have less people per capita with high levels of disposable income and thus fewer cruises, extended travel etc.

In the first wave of cases in the Houston area, there were several that had been on a cruise in Egypt.

Deckard and malakas like this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thank you for sharing this link and all the continued info!

Have you seen any recent R0 projections? I mean I know it's still a developing situation globally and Iceland might be the best place to control the environment/unknowns/test everyone, but what do you think think the range might be? And definitely won't hold you to it, just curious what you think.

I hope you're doing well!

Deckard and malakas like this.
  13. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

It’s about as plausible as the old Carlin bit about how he and his friends developed strong immune systems swimming in the sewage-polluted East River.

Deckard and CCity Zero like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Got you.

sewage > viruses

CCity Zero and I am a Donut like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

More conjecture, an example of this would be Native Americans being exposed to the pathogens the explorers brought over to the New World. Like someone in a harsh environment might be better than their peers, but once an unknown like a strong pathogen that they haven't been exposed to - it all gets tossed out the window. With that said, someone who is strong/good health/nourished, probably would have a better shot - assuming it's a new pathogen to both populations (the healthier ones would make it, assuming there's not some mutation they carry making them have more sites etc etc.)

Haha, we could probably have some crazy conversation about evolution/environment but if it's a new pathogen, unless the population has a special mutation blocking viral sites or generations have been exposed to it so only the strongest were able to reproduce, it'll probably be bad thing for both populations. This is an oversimplification etc, but just trying to mention small parts of why it's conjecture

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Yes. Supposedly by some of the best epidemiologists in the world who made a plan of mass murder..I mean of herd immunity.
    And whose recent projections are already being proven wrong. The Imperial College of London.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...e-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  17. hooroo

hooroo Member

18. malakas

malakas Member

Rest in peace, heroes.
    France has lost many as well.
    :(

I shudder at the thought of what will happen in the UK, which doesn't even TEST healthcare workers.

Nook, FrontRunner, JayZ750 and 3 others like this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks so much for sharing this! I was actually detailing what herd immunity meant in relation to R0 earlier to a relative, - like keeping it simple (not going into all the variables) but showing how much more serious this is vs a typical seasonal flu and what it would even take to reach a herd immunity level.

With that said, I like how politicians will state something like "some of us will get it and then we'll reach herd immunity!" Not realizing getting there faster strains the health system and that the R0 is much higher than a normal seasonal flu (even on the smaller end), so basically a plan of mass murder like you stated.

I honestly sometimes wish more science was required for any political leader (regardless of country), or that social influencers who haven't taken entry level biology would stop giving health advice and just tell people to listen/ask their Dr... And not them for details regarding their health.

Richie_Rich, FrontRunner and malakas like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is obviously a very serious incident and I hope we can get adequate PPE for health workers soon, because without them this is going to be even worse. Sad to see this news, that's a lot of Dr's lost.

On a side note, I did like the reply to the jackass questioning the source, haha.