1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think you can calm down kiddo. You obviously have some personality issues to sort through. It was dropping that day. You can still use continuous for that.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

unfortunately, this isn’t likely because cases are actually dropping, but because of the exact opposite.... We were playing catch-up of weeks of lack of testing and now in the hardest hit areas, we have gave up and shifted toward conserving resources. We are forced to choose blindness due to such a late start and a lack of resources. It’s not a good picture. It can work if people actually stay home. This is an evolving and confusing message since some part of the countries (those not yet hardest hit) should do what now? This illustrates how much of a colossal failure it was for not being prepared to test massively at the onset of this months ago and to ramp up on ppe and other resources.

Ps. I fully understand the trade-off here from a medical standpoint, but... how do we know when we can start to get back to normal without wide testing? The lack of comprehensive national strategy is killing us, both literally and economically.

Officials direct scarce resources where they are needed most to save people’s lives.

Health officials in New York, California and other hard-hit parts of the country are restricting coronavirus testing to health care workers and the severely ill, saying the battle to contain the virus is lost and the country is moving into a new phase of the pandemic response.

As cases spike sharply in those places, they are bracing for an onslaught and directing scarce resources where they are needed most to save people’s lives. Instead of encouraging broad testing of the public, they’re focused on conserving masks, ventilators and intensive care beds — and on getting still-limited tests to health-care workers and the most vulnerable. The shift is further evidence that rising levels of infection and illness have begun to overwhelm the health care system.

A similar message was hammered Saturday by members of the White House coronavirus task force, who said it was urgent to conserve scarce supplies and offered guidelines about who should get tested. Top priority, they said, should go to those who are hospitalized, along with health-care workers, symptomatic residents of long-term care facilities and people over 65 — especially those with heart and lung disease, which place them at higher risk.

“Not every single person in the U.S. needs to get tested,” said Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “When you go in and get tested, you are consuming personal protective equipment, masks and gowns — those are high priority for the health care workers who are taking care of people who have coronavirus disease.”

Health officials are now struggling with a complicated and shifting message. More people can get tested as drive-through sites open and more tests are finally available. Nevertheless, those with mild symptoms should stay home and isolate. And everyone should practice social distancing to preserve the health care system’s finite resources.

To convey those points clearly, many officials are speaking in increasingly blunt terms, saying that wide testing could jeopardize the lives of health care workers and the U.S. response by burning through precious supplies as a tidal wave of sick people descend on the system.

“In a universe where masks and gowns are starting to become scarce, every time we test someone who doesn’t need one, we’re taking that mask and gown away from someone in the intensive care unit,” said Demetre Daskalakis, deputy commissioner for the Division of Disease Control of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

#562 Amiga, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think the weakness of past studies has been sample size and I am not claiming they prove anything. I think they show promise and I don't think there is a conspiracy afoot to sell chloroquine. This is a well known drug that has been proven safe for human consumption. I think we need more testing for sure though to see if it works but man the country i am in... i live abroad... has been yanking it off pharmacy shelves since at least yesterday. I think you should be optimistically cautious regarding this drug. Let us just part at that and sorry if I was abbrassive to you. I know these are stressful times. Bests.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you live in Istanbul?

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

People should always heed advice of medical doctors... people that are panicking and desperate may try any drug or treatment...

Nigeria Reports Chloroquine Poisonings as Trump Keeps Pushing Drug Against Coronavirus
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics...oisonings-trump-pushing-drug-coronavirus.html

6. NewRoxFan

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

That is interesting... yeah getting medical advice from a president is a horrible idea if that is indeed why they took it. A doctor should always be the one administering that drug because it's not some over the counter asprin.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While this would be great news indeed, I am afraid it is not the case.

Instead it reflects that they are no longer testing everyone because of limited tests. Hard hit areas like LA have reported they aren't bothering to test people as much as they no longer are trying to contain the outbreak but rather handle it as a hospital crisis as they are getting overwhelmed. If you aren't testing everyone than the number of reported cases will taper off and stabalize and unfortunately this might reflect that.

As for the deaths - that curve will lack infections by weeks as it takes time because people don't die right away from this disease but weeks after infection - so while cases may be on the exponential curve deaths will take two or three weeks before you see the same effect. Right now deaths appear to be on the initial slope.

Hopefully social distancing and the lockdown slow this thing down. But based on what we are seeing in Italy, it appears to be not the case.

The Real Shady and RayRay10 like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

I'd think that anyone going on a news show would anticipate questions about test kits, masks and other medical supply needs, and basic numbers about the Coronavirus. This high-level member of trump's cabinet should have been prepared to answer these questions... unless the numbers are so bad they would reflect poorly on trump's admin...

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

"Nobody in their widest dreams" thought such an incompetent man would get elected president...

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Then why doesn't he shut the **** up and let the medical experts take the reigns?

RayRay10, B-Bob, dachuda86 and 2 others like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Whenever anyone asks why holding trump responsible for lying...

FranchiseBlade, RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is very important. It's still a way from knowing whether Chloroquine is effective but why we need to be cautious is the danger of the cure being worse than the disease. There is a reason why "Do No Harm" is a tenet of medicine. Until we know the safety and efficacy of any treatment for this it is foolish to start using it. The argument "What do we have to lose" we have a lot to lose if a treatment is more dangerous than what it is treating. We also have a lot to lose if even if a treatment isn't dangerous it doesn't work. We could waste a lot of time and resources while giving people false hope following something that doesn't do anything.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  16. biina

biina Member

Sample size is the least of the problems. Example, the 6 patients that didnt do well on Chloroqiune were excluded from the final result
    This is the french trial https://www.mediterranee-infection....2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

This is one of the consequences of people like you and Trump peddling such narratives https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...loroquine-poisonings-after-trump-praised-drug

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My response to you was "Have you been to Singapore? I trust a Singaporean wet market for food safety more than I trust Kroger."
    But yes Singapore is mostly Chinese. It has wet markets also. That is my point. Wet Markets and Chinese culture isn't a problem when you they are regulated and proper sanitary techniques are practiced. As I keep on saying is that "Chinese" and 'Chinese" culture is more than the "Peoples Republic of China" That people don't understand the distinction and continue to insist on calling it the "Chinese Virus" and blame Chinese culture is why we are getting the problems. we see.
    That is a very disturbing and a very misguided rationalization. You're saying that we have bigger problems so we shouldn't worry about bias and bigotry towards Asians. You're arguing that somehow worrying about bias towards Asians will take away from the response towards the virus. Frankly that just sounds like a cover for bigotry. It explains why people will say "why get worked up about calling it the Chinese Virus, the name doesn't matter" and then continue to argue as you have for calling it "Chinese". This isn't an either or situation. Addressing and expressing concern from bias and bigotry, especially the misguided bigotry that is targeting people who aren't from the PRC or even ethnically Chinese doesn't take away from addressing the issue. The argument you're making is the same argument made after 9/11 by saying we can't worry about bias towards Muslims or people like Sikhs because people can't tell the difference, when we have 3,000 Americans dead and are going to war.

For that matter if these issues aren't that important why continue arguing that we have to call this the "Chinese Virus", why have multiple threads about blaming China and Chinese?

Also there is also a consequence too about not address bias towards Chinese and other Asians too. Even though the PRC screwed up royally at the beginning of this crisis they are now sending expertise and aid to other countries. They've sent several medical experts to Italy to help them with their crisis. I think I saw here on CF.net a doctor in the US saying they were desperately waiting a shipment from the PRC. Taiwan is sending 100,000 surgical masks a week to the US. If we just continue to allow bigotry and bias to infect our rhetoric how likely are the those countries to continue and be willing to help us? We need physical isolation but since this is an international problem we need to work together as a civilization sharing knowledge and aid. It's a fact that the PRC has dealt with this the longest and appears to be turning the corner. Instead of just blaming them and them and demanding they pay reparations lets get them to help now.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and B-Bob like this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am good with that.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Peddling? I have been balanced about it. You are the one coming off as having an agenda.

I read that those six were lost in followup for a variety of reasons so you cannot include them. This is because the paper is about people who actually finished the treatment.

The conclusion is reason for cautious optimism.

"Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is
    significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin."

I mean keep ******** on the doctors trying to get something going. But these doctors should be commended for their efforts and we should pray that more positive results come forward from the frontlines.

#579 dachuda86, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Please quote other posters w nametags on each quote so ignore works for the rest of us.

#herdimmunity

RayRay10 and TheFreak like this.