1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

That article that I posted earlier said this:

Up to $50 billion for airlines, $8 billion for cargo air carriers, and $150 billion for other severely distressed businesses. The government has the right to “participate in the gains” of any business it lends money to.

That's where I'm getting the idea that it would be in the form of loans. The reason to hold equity hostage is the government is taking on risk if these businesses fails. It gives them some control of operations (as it did with the banks), and it also ensures that taxpayers can make a profit if things go well from taking on existential risk for the companies. It's a risk/reward situations - federal government taking risks on bailouts without "punishing" the companies in some way isn't going to sit well with the public.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Loans always have risk, but that is covered by US Govt having first right at bankruptcy court liquidation.

This is flat out not a 0% Bridge Loan. This is a Loan requiring equity stake.

So that would make 4 options, I guess:
    1. A standard 0% Bridge Loan...US Govt gets 1st dibs on bankruptcy court liquidation
    2. Pure Cash bailout
    3. Bridge Loan requiring equity stake for profits
    4. Cash bailout with equity stake for profits
    #1 should be an option, and companies shouldn’t be forced by a greedy govt trying to put equity stipulations on emergency loans, because these companies are not cash-poor atm, and should be able to ask for just a pure Loan.

3. Major

Major Member

You're ignoring the political side. The American people don't like bailing companies out, regardless of the reality of their circumstances. That's the reason for being harsher. Banks weren't cash poor either - they were insolvent on paper (partly due to accounting rules that didn't work in dysfunctional markets), but not at all in practice.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

Florida is the US' version of Italy. Lots of elderly folk there are going to perish.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The American people have never seen anything like this tsunami that's heading towards us. It's going to be so, so bad

I pray I am wrong. And im pretty atheist

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm watching Face the Nation right now and they're reporting that the airlines are going to run out of money in a month.
    I understand that people don't like seeing corporate bailouts and that the airlines were one of the worst regarding stock buy backs rather than saving and making more investments in their workforce but the airline industry is critical to not just our economy but our culture. Also even with closed borders and social distancing we still need to move people and materials rapidly to address this crisis.

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. NewRoxFan

And meanwhile, he is busy watching tv, and getting his fweelings hurt...

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

People on social security are not taxable below certain incomes so they would be a part of that group not having tax liability. Strange though, this is a group of people that would typically really need that extra $600.

11. Major

Major Member

People on social security aren't losing their income, though - they aren't the ones in crisis from the economy shutting down. For those that do still work, they'd have taxable income and would get checks or unemployment payments.

We have to remember this crisis is hitting different groups very differently. People with salaried jobs and people on government income should be essentially doing fine, relatively speaking. They don't need rescue and their money will actually go farther because there's nothing to spend it on anymore - by not going to restaurants or travelling or whatnot, people are accidentally saving money. It's the people being laid off or having hours cut that are in a mess - those people and the related businesses are where all the focus should be.

CometsWin likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"">

So how does this work?
    So companies can "Audition" and "Lobby"
    for the money for 6 months

Or
    Cut out the middle man and put the money directly into their own companies?

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good points.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All he’s ever tweeted has been blaming the government for the last ten years. These assholes need to burn without takng everyone else down with them.

Their stupidity is as contagious and hidden as the Coronavirus

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are still trying to hide the truth to protect their negligence.....

This is the time for straight up facts, and we have a leader who lies about everything can't help himself because he is a chronic liar.

Ugh.

DD

Deckard and peleincubus like this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The bill as worded now counts SS as taxable income so most retired folks would get the $1200..

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m with you in spirit DD

but IMO , focusing on trump hurts more than it helps . Yes he has the most powerful office ... but this isn’t a failing of a leader ... it’s a failing of our Leaders. Multiple people could have stepped up at any time . This is not a dictatorship . Instead both sides are fighting for political power , both sides putting part ahead of country .

even tho I feel the Republicans are worse (what can you say I was brought up in a dem household) the Dems engender no trust from me either .

it’s gonna fall on local leaders to get communities through this

I think Houston has a good one in Turner , hopefully the city doesn’t turn on him .

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I don't understand why more people aren't listening to Peter Schiff. Peter is most well known for predicting the 2008 Financial Crisis at least 3 years ahead of time. Everything from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to the mortgage crisis to exactly what the government response would be. But what most people don't understand is 2008 wasn't his actual prediction. He's predicted something much, much worse. His book "The Real Crash" tells us everything we need to know.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

It hits us twice. First we're already running more than a $1 trillion deficit per year, which means we spend $1 trillion more than we take in via taxes. All of these people who are suddenly laid off are no longer paying taxes, but somehow we've got to come up with money to pay them unemployment insurance. I think we're headed towards massive inflation, or God forbid hyperinflation.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.