1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Volunteers 3D-Print Unobtainable $11,000 Valve For $1 To Keep Covid-19 Patients Alive; Original Manufacturer Threatens To Sue

[​IMG]

#2921 donkeypunch, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    FrontRunner, Deckard, GIGO and 4 others like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

They can kiss the Italians asses.
    In national emergency there is no copyright infringment.

The state in several european countries have already consficated private properties : hotels, hospitals, beds, ventilators equipment, medicine.
    The UK is even basically forcing medical students to go and work to get their diploma.

So they can bluff all they want but nothing will happen, and even more hospitals will do it now.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of people
    Come back positive I think most of us are asymptomatic carriers

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sad news occured. A 27 year old female died today with pre-existing conditions.

Yesterday a 48 year old female died, similarly with conditions.

In contrast to Italy's situation, with older males being majority of the dead.

This getting real with the younger ones.

Yung-T, FrontRunner and malakas like this.
  5. BleedsRocketRed

Most likely. This has been spreading around a lot longer than any of us realize. China realized it in early December, but even then we don't know how far behind they were.

This has been circulating around the world a lot longer than anyone knows. I guarantee a few of us on the BBS probably had it and never knew.

Yung-T, Jontro, RedRedemption and 5 others like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Yung-T likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Do you know what the pre-existing conditions were?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The 27 year old female.

Unfortunately not going deeper into it but I have to back pedal here.

They said she was suffering from severe underlying illnesses for 14 years.

(My guess something like severe asthma)

https://ooe.orf.at/stories/3039726/

I mean it's a democracy but sometimes I feel the hospitals have a policy which keeps them from telling the whole truth. (Could be government too.)

#2929 daywalker02, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Yung-T, donkeypunch and malakas like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If they fast track a vaccine or even a treatment and you're not in serious pain or statistical danger -- you cool taking it? My uncle was injected with Agent Orange. He's dead now.

I'm not some anti-vaxer, lol. But the pressure to develop a treatment FAST is huge.

Jontro and malakas like this.
  11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

... first do no harm. its a sound policy.

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed but by autumn we will know much more about this disease.
    If I learn that it leaves many survivors with scarred lungs, infertility and the death rate of youth is much higher than reported I will consider it.
    If I learn that like the spanish flu it has come again mutated and more lethal I will get the shot.

But I dont expect the vaccine we will get will be a safe normal vaccine.
    It will be much more dangerous and could kill hundreds if not thousands.
    I already as a child had an allergic reaction to one vaccine.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I told my wife I won't be part of any first round though I'm sure that's what celebrities and politicians are for.

No Worries likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There should be a limit on patents......and they should expire after like 10 years to be free for everyone.

DD

Jontro and malakas like this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

For this one, it will be a huge risk. No one does things correct the first time.

malakas likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Several treatment options upcoming until the vaccine.....

so the world has more hope than 1 month ago. I'll take it.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I understand a vaccine may take some time, but a treatment that works well would be the most ****ing amazing news the world can receive.

malakas likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The part I bolded is a great point, one I’ve been thinking about. What if you have a medical problem, perhaps several, even a serious one? I got a notice from a physician I see on a regular basis for various things not to schedule an office visit. He’ll do a “visit” over the phone in a couple of weeks, and I’ll keep getting my meds. It’s for stuff they keep an eye on. Serious? Maybe, maybe no, as we like to say around here. It depends, which is why I see her regularly.

I just got another message from my dentist that they’re are canceling all office visits except for emergencies for at least 6 weeks, the emergencies to be done at only one location (they have 3), and will reschedule everything else for down the road. What it really means is that it depends on how this virus thing plays out.

Do you really want to go to a hospital right now for a voluntary procedure? Let’s say a colonoscopy. I got a notice about the time this virus started to be a big deal that I’m due for one this year, and to schedule it. It’s been 5 years, but I would have sworn my Doc said I could wait for ten this time. Put off calling to check because they aren’t fun. Hospitals are not the most sanitary places to visit in the best of times, as ironic as that may sound, and my guy knocks you out and does it in a hospital. Well regarded fellow, and the prep is always a pain in the ass (I know, poor joke). I expect a notice any day that it’s being put off for a couple of months, at least. I’ll be putting it off, regardless.

I’m illustrating a couple of the cascade of impacts this virus is having in the Medical arena. While some may be for voluntary things, some are not. Treatments for cancer, surgery for a severe back problem. The first you simply have to do with fingers crossed, the second, you really should do, but can put off. Doctors and patients are making decisions about these things all over the country right now. Sure, some of both are still pretending that it’s a fuss over “nothing.” Events are proving them wrong. Doctors and staff are catching this and they are working now to lower their risk. It’s for their protection and the protection of their patients.

Doctors and staff are putting themselves at risk for us every day. They often did this already, but particularly now. We should do what we can to minimize that risk. Things are going to get really hairy soon. If only I could say that about the top of my head.

Nook and malakas like this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry if already posted:
    https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/18/j...navirus-treatment-in-chinese-clinical-trials/

An apparently effective flu drug in Japan. And there are other reports -- in one case, I think it was a drug used to treat anemia or something like that.

This is one more reason that social distancing and curve flattening is important. Each week we learn more and will have more tools to save people.

Yung-T and R0ckets03 like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

what have you heard breh? care to elaborate?