1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KAT defends Harden against NBA Twitter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 14, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

TMac avg 27.7/7/7 as a Rocket in the playoffs... is it unfair to say he struggled in the playoffs as a Rocket?

People remember how ya went out...

Yung-T, xtruroyaltyx, Ramo$e and 4 others like this.
  3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

What does this have to do with the corona virus?

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Rona got us going BAAAAAACK. This was from 7 months ago! lol. I like that KAT understands narrative since he too gets it like Harden.

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Tmac was better in playoffs than Harden as ridicolous as it sounds

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the first round... :D

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not putting blame on anybody but Tmac played in an era of inefficiency...... look at chucking Kobe.

That style of play was contagious.

He became a better facilitator but players took bad shots and role players took fewer shots, had few touches.

Not much team ball other than the Detroit Pistons.

I remember all our Offense was Tracy and Yao at some point. And then after couple years Scola and Artest (Wafer) arrived.

Sajan likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is utter bullshit.

Harden has been to the Finals once and conference finals 3 times. As a franchise player, he has lost in the WCF only to the most talented team in NBA history, has a better record against that team than any other star and wiped the floor with all other Western teams the past few years.

It's not even remotely comparable, not on a team or individual level. Unless you're about to talk about the one or two times T-Mac had a higher PPG playoff average - in which case, there's no point even having this discussion.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Look at my take above.

It was not that Tmac or in fact many stars could not score more efficiently, players played an inefficient game back then.

The Analytics approach gained track this decade.

Harden and Westbrook were major players analytically, WB with the triple dubs and Harden with the high volume but efficient shooting.

Both putting up ridiculous usage rates.

Thing is it is easier to put them stats up in the regular season than in the Playoffs.

bmelo and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

T-Mac couldn’t get out of the 1st round...

most people are clueless casuals who know nothing about the game, but talk like they’re experts

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't agree with this mindset that you can't compare between different eras. It took an organization and player to accept it and achieve it. I don't know that T-Mac could've or would've done the same if he were told to.

If it's different eras, and you don't believe it's comparable then don't compare. But the poster is making the comparison, and if the comparison is made Harden blows T-Mac out of the water.

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Patience and 2 others like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am trying to reach beyond that.

Harden blows Tmac out of the water in the regular season, that is a given.

Offensively he blows 99.9% of players out of the water.

But the thing is his foul drawing, step back 3s do not work as well in the Playoffs where bad shooting nights happen more often.

13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

When is this guy going to be a Rocket?

RocketsTerps likes this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

Look, is there a narrative that Harden does not show up in the playoffs? Absolutely!
    Does Harden actually put up roughly the same numbers in contrary to people's claims? Absolutely!
    But also, has Harden had some serious issues in the play-offs, particularly in the last game of a series? Absolutely!

So in conclusion, is it safe to say that while Harden has the stats, performs at a very high level during the play-offs and can carry a team, he tends to fold under pressure? Yes.

And to all the Tracy McGrady comparisons, please stop. T-Mac was not better and it has nothing to do with different eras. It has to do with a difference in talent level of himself and his teammates, his injuries, but most of all a lack of the winning mentality.

I truly believe Harden gives it his all and has moments, stretches and games where he just allows missing shots or the score to affect his effort. For T-Mac I believe he started out with the right mentality, but when down would just not want to be part of anything and only had a few moments and stretches / games where he actually showed effort.

#14 JW86, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Jontro and daywalker02 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would add that he also had bad luck. His eye got poked, he had a concussion, smaller injuries.

Fatigue and dead legs.

Knowing these are just excuses, it was unfortunate.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Again I disagree with this characterization. Saying his impact is on the offensive side implies that his overall impact is not elite.

Virtually every team this guy has ever been on has outperformed its talent. There's no reason we should have been competitive with the warriors even with a healthy Chris Paul. There's no reason we should win this many regular season games and destroy non Warriors teams in the playoffs.

Harden's offensive impact is so insane that his poor defense is a blip. This guy brings wins. He's no Karl Anthony Towns. He's no Melo. He's no T-Mac. He is a winner whose individual and supporting cast peaked at the same time as the Warriors became a 65+ win team and then Durant joined.

If it was as easy as giving usage to someone, everyone would do it. No one else is capable of that kind of volume and efficiency at the same time except in a theoretical world.

BigMaloe, luckyman76, Theking and 7 others like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his defense was actually very good in the utah series last year, especially in the final minute of the last game. in one of our wins against GS (i believe game 4) his d was also key

darksoul35, slothy420, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not say he does not have an impact defensively, but we were talking about Offense only.

His post D got better in the last years.

All I ever doubted was 3pt Defense. And teams lighting our team up in the Playoffs.

We are talking about one thing, and you brought up another aspect just now.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He lost to a Warriors team that missed Curry for multiple games and this is before KD so Harden faced the Warriors with Klay as their best player for multiple games and still lost

He lost to the Kawhiless Spurs in unfortunately an infamous way.

He lost to the Damian Lillard Blazers.

He also has one of the largest drop offs is scoring efficiency out of all the superstar players in the league.

Yung-T and bmelo like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

And this is a poor argument. Harden and Westbrook(espeically Harden) are both better than he ever was and you have no argument.

luckyman76, D-rock and vlaurelio like this.